Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 02:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times

Advertisements

When I spent several weeks in Seattle I did not notice that anyone dressed any differently than other places I had been.
Business people wore business attire, those who were just out and about wore casual clothing.
I did get a few odd looks though when I wore my bibs one day, it was like no one had ever seen a girl wearing bibs before.
Other than that I doubt anyone would really even notice another human wandering around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 04:23 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorph View Post
I am getting ready to move to Seattle next week. From the comments I have read on this forum and other websites, people do not put much effort into how they look in Seattle.

I am coming from a metropolis where you need to look great to go to the grocery store, hence I have come to fit in and as a result I have nice clothing. While I certainly don't wear 4 inch heels everywhere, I like to look nice and maybe put on some eyeliner/mascara when I leave. If I do that in Seattle, will people presume I am shallow/dumb?

Here people will give you a look of disdain if they think you're underdressed. It's annoying. However, since people are less overt in Seattle, I presume I will get no heads up about their reaction to the way I carry myself. So I am curious? What would you think of a female walking down the street wearing a great outfit and looking put together?

**I know the only people who truly matter are those that will first talk to me and then make an impression. I'm just curious about what to expect****
Yoga pants that show your butt curvature is considered very elegant in Seattle.. Women reallly like showing off their butts even at 4 star restaurants .. And when I say showing off butts, I mean the entire shape molded by spandex.

I am bit old fashioned and don't mind a woman who is bit more presentable, but I am probably in the minority. As eye popping as those yoga pants can be, I kinda find them a bit raunchy especially when a woman wears them into a nice restaurant..

Old 06-18-2014, 07:45 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
You obviously are in the habit of noticing people's clothing. (I would not have noticed any of this, but I do not know if most people in Seattle would.)
This! Who notices those things, let alone cares? I'd suggest that you are in the minority and that most people won't even notice what you wear unless they are a man looking at you for a date, or are a woman looking to be like you. Ironically, the latter is also you looking to be like others.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,372 times
Quote:
I am getting ready to move to Seattle next week. From the comments I have read on this forum and other websites, people do not put much effort into how they look in Seattle.
I wouldn't generalize that "people do not put much effort into how they look in Seattle." But yes, Seattle, like the West Coast in general, is pretty casual.

Quote:

I am coming from a metropolis where you need to look great to go to the grocery store...
Where you need to? Where is that? (I'm guessing not in the US...)

Quote:
I like to look nice and maybe put on some eyeliner/mascara when I leave. If I do that in Seattle, will people presume I am shallow/dumb?
Will people presume you are shallow or dumb because you "look nice" and put on a bit of makeup in the morning? Uh, no. Seattle may not be dressy, but tons and tons of women do so here everyday and I don't think anyone is assuming they are shallow or dumb.

Kind of a strange question, honestly.

Quote:
What would you think of a female walking down the street wearing a great outfit and looking put together?
It depends on the part of town, but in downtown for instance one sees plenty of very put-together people of either gender, quite regularly.

I think the "worst" assumption anyone is going to make is that you're dressing up because of your job, because that's probably the most common reason people in the PNW dress up.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:36 AM

8 posts, read 8,894 times
When you get there, walk around and look at people and see how they dress. Also get some confidence.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:09 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
Well most of the women (moms) around where I live run around in work out clothes all day long and drop their kids at schools in PJs (myself included). What really through me for a loop was the amount of ball gowns jewels and make up that came out for a school auction. I thought I was back in Atlanta for a night.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:14 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
If they assume anything, they'll assume you just moved here.

Both my wife and I have closets full of clothes we never wear anymore after having moved back from the East Coast.

Old 06-19-2014, 12:47 AM

236 posts, read 289,516 times
If you're dressed really nicely and look put together, they'll probably just assume you're not a computer programmer.

Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modc View Post
If you're dressed really nicely and look put together, they'll probably just assume you're not a computer programmer.
Computer programmers are, IMO, the worst dressed people on the earth.. Both on the job, and even more so , off the job..

How do I know?? Takes one to know one..

I love dressing good, even to the nines, but when you have 14 hours of grueling work ahead of you for the day and are locked up in a room, who exactly are you dressing up to impress?

A t-shirt and decent shape jeans has become the staple work uniform of the software developer workforce. Maybe, the Microsoft techies at the high levels of the workforce do wear the slacks and button down shirt, but they are not the majority of software guys out there.

Does anyone know Mark Zuckerberg's trademark Facebook uniform? The old sweat shirt and jeans? He didn't even wear a tuxedo at his wedding. And this guy is a billionaire.. Old habits die hard..

The Software Developer Uniform:

Last edited by RotseCherut; 06-19-2014 at 02:50 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 01:52 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
What kind of computer programmers have you been hanging around?? They are, IMO, the worst dressed people on the earth.. Both on the job, and even more so , off the job..

YOu must be a bit confused about IBM workforce, back in the 80s or something.

How do I know?? Takes one to know one..

I love dressing good, even to the nines, but when you have 14 hours of grueling work ahead of you for the day and are locked up in a room, who exactly are you dressing up to impress?

A t-shirt and decent shape jeans has become the staple work uniform of the software developer workforce. Maybe, the Microsoft techies at the high levels of the workforce do wear the slacks and button down shirt, but they are not the majority of software guys out there.

Does anyone know Mark Zuckerberg's trademark Facebook uniform? The old sweat shirt and jeans? He didn't even wear a tuxedo at his wedding. And this guy is a billionaire.. Old habits die hard..

The Software Developer Uniform:
RC, perhaps you should re-read what Modc said. You basically just confirmed his statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area