Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMasterInSeattle View Post
You are wrong. We've been stuck here some 15 years. I wish it was only 5 years. Twice we have tried to leave and had to come back due to the fact that my wife has family here. I have lived in many parts of the world, and these people are complete liars and idiots. The weather here is pathetic, the cost of living is completely unjustifiable, and trying to get from point A to point B on the roads is enough to vote for legal road-rage. Nowhere have I lived that the drivers on the road think that driving UNDER the speed limit and in the inside lane is "correct"

And if that isn't enough, now they legalize marijuana!!!! Great!!! Let's add more stupidity to the communities. It is a fact that 2 out of 5 drivers on the road are impaired either by prescribed drugs, alcohol, or ...... now ..... smoking pot. I've personally seen drivers toking up while trying to navigate their cars.

Unfortunately, we believed the crap that people spewed forth here when we first decided to move here. Oh, it's beautiful, it's wonderful, it really doesn't rain much, great jobs market .... BS!!!! Hell, the people on welfare here live better than the people who pay taxes. Seattle tries to dig a needless tunnel to replace an overpass and it's now nationally known that it is essentially a total failure due to political corruption. The state decides to replace a bridge that is in great condition with a "new" bridge connecting the east side and west side of lake Washington. Now, a year later ..... if not more ...... it's still not completed due to corruption. People whine that the minimum wage needs to be raised to $15??? Go to any McDonalds or Burger King ...... they can barely speak English.

Why can't the people of Puget Sound stand up, stop misleading people asking for truthful information before spending a huge amount of money to make the move, and act like adults. My opinion? Seattle needs an enema.

Oh yes, I know that the wrath of liberals will be unleashed by this post. Simply put, the truth hurts.
"Why can't the people of Puget Sound stand up, stop misleading people asking for truthful information before spending a huge amount of money to make the move, and act like adults."

Yes, by all means, please start acting like an adult.

Oh, and have fun when you move to the south. You'll get a whole new taste of "murrica."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 08:06 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,836,282 times
Let's hope he is right and that all the illegals leave soon.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
You are wrong. We've been stuck here some 15 years. I wish it was only 5 years. Twice we have tried to leave and had to come back due to the fact that my wife has family here. I have lived in many parts of the world, and these people are complete liars and idiots. The weather here is pathetic, the cost of living is completely unjustifiable, and trying to get from point A to point B on the roads is enough to vote for legal road-rage. Nowhere have I lived that the drivers on the road think that driving UNDER the speed limit and in the inside lane is "correct"

And if that isn't enough, now they legalize marijuana!!!! Great!!! Let's add more stupidity to the communities. It is a fact that 2 out of 5 drivers on the road are impaired either by prescribed drugs, alcohol, or ...... now ..... smoking pot. I've personally seen drivers toking up while trying to navigate their cars.

Unfortunately, we believed the crap that people spewed forth here when we first decided to move here. Oh, it's beautiful, it's wonderful, it really doesn't rain much, great jobs market .... BS!!!! Hell, the people on welfare here live better than the people who pay taxes. Seattle tries to dig a needless tunnel to replace an overpass and it's now nationally known that it is essentially a total failure due to political corruption. The state decides to replace a bridge that is in great condition with a "new" bridge connecting the east side and west side of lake Washington. Now, a year later ..... if not more ...... it's still not completed due to corruption. People whine that the minimum wage needs to be raised to $15??? Go to any McDonalds or Burger King ...... they can barely speak English.

Why can't the people of Puget Sound stand up, stop misleading people asking for truthful information before spending a huge amount of money to make the move, and act like adults. My opinion? Seattle needs an enema.

Oh yes, I know that the wrath of liberals will be unleashed by this post. Simply put, the truth hurts.

Shhh....liberals don't like it when you point out their lies. Just fall in line and go to work to support the dead beats. They are counting on you!!!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I love living here, but then again I can afford to live here in Cap Hill. Walkable distance to everything, lots of eating out, partying, etc. But then I might have different feelings if I were poorer and had to live in the suburban boonies.

Is Capitol Hill the new Beverly Hills? You make it sound like it is. Lot's of people live there by renting a room out of someones apartment for $400 a month, and considering how walkable it is, you don't really need a car. With Seattles minimum wage increase, most people can live like a king in Capitol Hill.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:45 PM

555 posts, read 803,296 times
Tac-Sea:

Of course Capitol Hill is the new Beverly Hills. Seattle is superior to California in every way shape and form. Our nightlife here surpasses Santa Monica's. Our restaurants are better than Los Angeles'. Link Light Rail is every bit as good---even better than MetroLink. Tourists flock to the city because Seattle's fish market is so much better than San Francisco's (and they don't even have a Space Needle! LOL). Green Lake and Gas Works Parks put Malibu beaches to shame. Etc., etc. etc....

Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 PM

719 posts, read 987,578 times
Quote:
I sort of agree with your post, sorta don't. Overall, I suppose if I still lived in the Seattle metro area proper, I might support more of your points. Certainly, I'm not above heaving vitriol at that place, and I can't blame anyone for doing so.

The Pacific Northwest, for which Seattle is -- like it or not -- the hub, is a salvageable location, uniquely combining rich, stunning natural beauty with accessibility. That combination -- the fact that it wasn't Alaska or the Kamchatka Peninsula or something, while still being amazingly pretty -- is what drew me here. And, really, it should be the only reason that outsiders come here or stay. Because it's pretty.

Seattle is a dump. It pilfers culture from other American cities while generating very little of its own, it is a welfare island populated by moon children, hipsters, burnouts and the most violent homeless population I think I've ever seen, and it lacks for any redeeming qualities to elevate it above even other modest urban areas. To put that last bit in perspective, I think Omaha, NE or Des Moines, IA have about as much to offer as Seattle.

But the thing is, you don't have to put up with Seattle. Like New England or Texas, there is more to this place than Boston; more to it than Houston and Dallas. There's a lot to like here that isn't Seattle, and although Seattle itself is a terrible drag to be in or near, it doesn't have to ruin the PNW for you. Hell, even the weather in western WA is better in other places.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:36 PM

80 posts, read 193,040 times
I love Seattle! I've been here 3 years now with no plans to move. I love the weather (well, not at the moment as it looks like we're starting on our annual 2 weeks of summer). I can't wait till it falls back into the 60s for highs.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,571 times
Seattle doesn't generate it's own culture? That's strange... I'm watching an National Geographic special on the 90's and the Northwest is featured both for it's technological and musical influence on PLANET EARTH. A dump? Not sure what you'd call San Francisco and Chicago, which both have ridiculous crime & homeless problems but remain world-class.

No redeeming qualities, huh? Hyperpobole much?

Please end this thread. It started with a pulled-from-the-keister falsehood and has devolved into yet another playground for the unhappy to vent with half-truths.

Here's the tagline for Seattle or any other 'desired' locale: research it yourself, because the fact that a lot of people like it doesn't mean that you will.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:17 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
I sort of agree with your post, sorta don't. Overall, I suppose if I still lived in the Seattle metro area proper, I might support more of your points. Certainly, I'm not above heaving vitriol at that place, and I can't blame anyone for doing so.

The Pacific Northwest, for which Seattle is -- like it or not -- the hub, is a salvageable location, uniquely combining rich, stunning natural beauty with accessibility. That combination -- the fact that it wasn't Alaska or the Kamchatka Peninsula or something, while still being amazingly pretty -- is what drew me here. And, really, it should be the only reason that outsiders come here or stay. Because it's pretty.

Seattle is a dump. It pilfers culture from other American cities while generating very little of its own, it is a welfare island populated by moon children, hipsters, burnouts and the most violent homeless population I think I've ever seen, and it lacks for any redeeming qualities to elevate it above even other modest urban areas. To put that last bit in perspective, I think Omaha, NE or Des Moines, IA have about as much to offer as Seattle.

But the thing is, you don't have to put up with Seattle. Like New England or Texas, there is more to this place than Boston; more to it than Houston and Dallas. There's a lot to like here that isn't Seattle, and although Seattle itself is a terrible drag to be in or near, it doesn't have to ruin the PNW for you. Hell, even the weather in western WA is better in other places.
Someone's been purveying grampa's moonshine collection again, ey?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:46 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
Seattle swallows.

Every OTHER city around it has something appealing about it. Well, except maybe Tacoma. But then Tacoma has all of the commerce.

Seattle is the only city where accidents happen daily. DAILY. Same spots too - 90/5 connector, 405/5 connector, Seneca St, Mercer St.

Seattle is the only city that so despises cars that it forces downtown businesses to charge for parking to try and coerce people to take the bus.

Seattle is the only city where finding a single family home with a garage that hasn't been converted to something stupid is next to impossible.

Seattle is the only city where renting a two-bedroom in a safe area is well over $2000/month.

Seattle is the only city in Washington that thinks a wide open $15 minimum wage makes sense because people "deserve it". At least in SeaTac they put some limits around it.

Seattle DOES have a lot of homeless, a lot of druggies, a lot of drunks, and a lot of beggars. Especially in South Lake Union.

Seattle caters too heavily to pedestrians. Yes, they should have safety when crossing streets. No, they shouldn't have areas where they can just cross with no light or waiting.

Seattle does not make it easy to get errands done without walking or biking. I'm not going to walk 40 minutes just to drop off a package at UPS; that's silly. Should be that I can get in my car, drive 5 minutes to drop it off, 5 minutes back. That's how it is in Woodinville, that's how it is in Bothell, that's how it is in Kirkland, Auburn, Kent, Tacoma, Federal Way, Renton, Redmond, even Northgate. Not Seattle.

I go to Seattle for one reason: work. They love downtown because of the exposure and presence, so I'm forced to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area