Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 PM

412 posts, read 386,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyoucantell View Post
Not true at all, the city declined in the 70's and 80's just like every other American city.

Take off the rose-colored glasses and stop the hometown boasting. The standard of living is better in most other U.S. cities.
Anyone but me remember the huge layoff of engineers by Boein?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 09:21 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTimeSEALover View Post
Anyone but me remember the huge layoff of engineers by Boein?
Boeing lays off mass amounts of employees every year. They are notorious for that.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:11 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Boeing lays off mass amounts of employees every year. They are notorious for that.
I remember the massive layoff in the late 1960's when they laid off several thousand. There were billboards saying will the last people to leave the city please turn off the lights.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:37 PM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyoucantell View Post
Not true at all, the city declined in the 70's and 80's just like every other American city.

Take off the rose-colored glasses and stop the hometown boasting. The standard of living is better in most other U.S. cities.
You're really not paying attention. We had heavy population growth in that period. Seattle was a boomtown during two parts of that span, and the metro grew all but one year in the estimates.

If you're talking about the city of Seattle only, that's your error. The average household size shrank, so Seattle itself shrank a little until the 1986 estimate. But we gained households even in that period. And the metro boomed.

I'm just laughing...if you had lived here you wouldn't say these things.

Old 02-01-2017, 08:04 AM

412 posts, read 386,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I remember the massive layoff in the late 1960's when they laid off several thousand. There were billboards saying will the last people to leave the city please turn off the lights.
I was a Portlander at that time. I was thinking of all the effort the guys put into getting engineering degrees and now to be in a market overloaded with candidates. Not to say by moving they couldn't get another, maybe even better, job. Probably in defense. But their job seemed the very thing the country wanted more of in the space race. And yet corporations pulled the rug.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:45 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
Seattle is a magnet city due to the business friendly environment and the cluster effect of large companies. There will be a lot more turnover on average. It's not uncommon for big company tech workers to relocate back to a state where an average starter home is well under $150,000, at the same salary.

Moving away from the coast is like getting a 30-50% raise if you consider rent and living expenses, so it's easy to see why after living here for 5 years someone would decide to move on, especially if they were deciding to start a family.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:57 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Why would you visit in the best time of the year when it's only a couple months long? The majority of the time it's overcast/drizzling/cold.
I think that someone contemplating a move to Seattle should visit during the winter months. The grey months seem to be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

As for summer.... Let people decide first that they can accept the grey/drizzle, and later let them be pleasantly surprised by summer.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,745 times
I can’t speak to the weather, but I did live on the eastside of the state for 9 yrs and I got symptoms of SAD. I even get it to a lesser degree here in CA during the winter, but I have come to realize that what you are doing with your life is FAR more important to your happiness than than the weather in any area is. The COL is a fact of life in all major WC cities. People should heavily research that and consider it before moving. I don’t undersand comlaints about COL when you know what you’re getting into ahead of time.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:04 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post
Everybody has different priorities and ideas about what would make a great new place to live.

No hard feelings if the place or the person doesn't fit. There is no one pair of jeans for everybody's butt. There is no place that'll make everybody happy either.
Good points!

Old 01-07-2018, 02:34 PM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
I can’t speak to the weather, but I did live on the eastside of the state for 9 yrs and I got symptoms of SAD. I even get it to a lesser degree here in CA during the winter, but I have come to realize that what you are doing with your life is FAR more important to your happiness than than the weather in any area is. The COL is a fact of life in all major WC cities. People should heavily research that and consider it before moving. I don’t undersand comlaints about COL when you know what you’re getting into ahead of time.
All good advice.

In the defense of some people complaining about the COL here in the Seattle area though - Many of them are natives/long term residents, or even people who moved here, say, 5 or 6 years ago, finding themselves caught off guard by such a rapid increase in COL. Seattle basically went from "above average, but reasonable for what it is" to the upper echelon of pricey US cities virtually overnight.

I will agree that someone thinking of moving here today though, shouldn't act surprised/should know what they're getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area