Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 12:13 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times

Advertisements

I've rented in Seattle for almost 20 years, and while filling out a rental history (as in, the last few places you rented) and a credit check are pretty common, I've never heard of a "background check" for an apartment rental. (and I moved most recently less than a year ago) I will say though both my wife and I have jobs in the area. Credit is decent, not great.

I would aim for smaller, privately-owned building and show up with a friendly demeanor and checkbook in hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 12:32 PM

291 posts, read 392,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashibon View Post
I get that they can be as picky as they choose but I find it almost impossible that all the folks around here have been living on their own, with every lease in their name. Now, I'm not bad-mouthing the area per se...just wondering what the reality is like vs. all these checks! Does no one live with their love any more? Does each have their own separate space!?

Again, the credit wasn't the issue and we have proof of income from just before the move (both of us are employed, just have yet to be put on schedules and receive our first paychecks.) If you cannot tell, I am very overwhelmed.

Thanks for the replies so far, guys. It's nice to get feedback.
When we moved in the PNW after working abroad, we needed this but didn't have it.

I suggest that you express your understanding of their need to check your character before renting their home to you but given that you were cohabiting with another adult for two years, you'd like to know if they would accept the following as a substitute:
  • reference to a rental from 3-5 years ago.
  • character reference, non family, from your area, like your former boss. Someone who is Googlable who has a good name and a strong financial profile.
  • if it is at all possible, a character reference from a person in the area to which you are moving--anyone who is a member of the community in good stead, e.g. someone with a small business or on the PTA or something, who is willing to vouch for your good character, possibly your boss.
If nobody will rent to you even with all of that, I would be surprised, to be honest. You're young, you have jobs, it seems like someone would be able to take you.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:09 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbitguy View Post
My wife and I just spent 3 weeks in Seattle apartment hunting, we're moving from Virginia. I own my current home and no one mentioned anything at all about previous rental history. My wife has been paying rent to me for 3+ years so she certainly doesn't have "rental history" either.
Your wife pays you rent? Hmmm, sounds like I should have a conversation with my wife...or maybe not.

I don't own rental property in Seattle but I owned in LA. I know I'm just making statements with intuition and experience in a location outside of Seattle so I "probably don't know what I'm talking about" but...

1) Everyone that rents has bad credit. If they didn't, they'd own at least a small condo, etc.

2) Everyone that rents has income that's mostly "self-employed" or low wages or not easily verifiable, etc.

3) Everyone that rents is new to the area and hard to verify previous rental history.

I will say that at least in LA if I required every renter to have a 700+ credit score, verifiable income of 3X the monthly rent, 3 years of excellent rental history, etc. then I'd never get my places rented out.

I have the renter fill out an application, go through an interview with me, and I end up making a judgement call on whether the guy can pay rent or not. (knock on wood) I've always done well but if it doesn't, it can take many money in lost rent and time to evict someone so the risk is high.

I think for the OP, it won't necessarily be easy for you to find a place but keep looking, keep applying, keep meeting folks, and you'll find a place. Don't be picky...sign a 1 year lease and find something better later.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I don't own rental property in Seattle but I owned in LA. I know I'm just making statements with intuition and experience in a location outside of Seattle so I "probably don't know what I'm talking about" but...

1) Everyone that rents has bad credit. If they didn't, they'd own at least a small condo, etc.

2) Everyone that rents has income that's mostly "self-employed" or low wages or not easily verifiable, etc.

3) Everyone that rents is new to the area and hard to verify previous rental history.
Those are weird assumptions to make about renters as a whole.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
Those are weird assumptions to make about renters as a whole.
Agreed, they are, but RVD90277 did suggest it was merely an opinion/set of assumptions.

I know a few fellow tech professionals who rent, though most of my peers own condos or homes. Of my peers, which is a specific demographic, those who rent are:

1) in transition (new to area or outbound from the area);
and/or 2) have other plans/uses for their capital;
and/or 3) newly divorced and on hard times (temporarily, though will eventually land back on their feet).

I rented on arrival, way back when (Case 1: in-transition). 1.5 years later, I had enough capital and information to buy (Case 2: other plans/uses of capital, which in my situation was "building it up to buy").

I have neither been self-employed nor had low wages per se. Yes, that would make wage verification more difficult which appears to be an issue these days (to OP's points).

Though new to the area, the place I rented from back in the day contacted my complex in another state to verify my rental history. Took about one fax and two phone calls, in the days when email was still a bit unusual (yeah, awhile ago now).

Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times
just replace "Everyone" with "Many people" in what I wrote and that's what I think...just an opinion.

Yes, I have rented before and I know a lot of single guys that work in tech that rent. Those guys never complain about the price of rent because they don't have problems finding a place to rent...they're the cream on the top of renters in that they have a well paying job, good credit, etc.

But for the OP who doesn't work for Amazon, Microsoft, etc...they need to find a place that isn't in direct competition with the tech guys so don't look in SLU, downtown Bellevue, etc.

My only point was that the rental market is full of people who aren't perfect people so keep at it, don't be too picky, and you'll find a nice place to live so you can move out of your car.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:26 AM

347 posts, read 669,642 times
You could be turned down for illegal or generally skeevy reasons and the landlords are using the rental history as an excuse...it happens. I don't care where it is no area comprising millions of people is that selective...has to be something else.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 PM

6 posts, read 8,983 times
Thanks for the help, folks who helped.

No thanks at all to the folks who thought I was hiding something or making excuses--as if I'd put in the effort to lie to anonymous strangers--but it's no matter, we found somewhere to live.

See ya!

Old 08-09-2014, 10:00 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
They want proof of current, not previous income, at a minimum multiple of the rent.
Are you sure there isn't anything in your fiancees' background that is causing the turndowns? Eviction, bankruptcy, conviction...
Check out "rooms & shares" and "sublets & temporary" (even temporary housing is better than none) in Craigslist - less chance you'll be dealing with a property manager.
Not having housing could be hurting your job hunt. Look for housing where they're more likely to be desperate for tenants, like Shelton or McCleary in the south Sound, Bremerton in the east sound, or Everett north of Seattle, for instance. Even Aberdeen or Hoquiam (about 50 miles from Olympia). Then get a job, even if in an AM/PM market.
Does your fiancee have any old friends in Vancouver who can put you up, let you camp in their yard, or let you use their address? You could go there and look for work in Portland.

I don't think you read the OP's last post: they found a place!!!

Old 08-15-2014, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 8,983 times
Wow folks are really quick to throw stones here on the internet, aren't they? Gods forbid that hard-working folks get in a bad spot because moving across the country is difficult and makes for certain unavoidable and frustrating complications (if you're not bloody rich with ample savings.) Nope, that's impossible, THEY MUST BE LYING CRIMINALS!

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area