U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 11:31 PM

739 posts, read 2,752,959 times

Advertisements

We are coming out in early August to take a greater look at the Seattle area. Every time we come out we stay with my aunt in Auburn. We will be moving there within 6 months hopefully. My wife wants to work at Starbucks Corporate. I will be working from home for my current employer. I may eventually try to find a tech job with the likes of Amazon or Microsoft. We plan to rent when we first move out (although I have been reading the rental scene is really difficult right now). We probably will have a $2k max per month budget for rent. We need a 3+ bedroom house. Biggest issue will be finding a place that will allow at minimum our 2 dogs and maybe our 2 cats.

My wife would like a 40 minute max commute if possible. Shorter would be better. We like Auburn, but feel it is probably a good hike out to Sbux HQ. We will look in the Renton and Kent area.

Given our criteria, what other areas should we take a look at when coming out to scout?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 12:05 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,884,891 times
Your price point pretty much eliminates Seattle as a whole, though nearby cities (Renton and Burien) may be options.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:36 AM

Anyone else have any suggestions? And what do I have to raise our rent budget to live in Seattle proper? 2500?

Old 07-23-2014, 09:03 AM

73 posts, read 100,691 times
Padmapper.com is showing $2800-3500 for 3 bedrooms in Seattle proper, though I saw two listings for 2400. You could find a smaller rental in your price range. Do you have children? Maybe you could handle a smaller place temporarily for a year or two until you get more established.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:06 AM

One kiddo due in two months. So we will have a very new girl when we move.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 AM

73 posts, read 100,691 times
Congrats on the kid! Every family is different, but I have friends who are upper-middle class professionals who have a 10 month old who live in a one bedroom apt (in Texas). It's tight, but it's working out fine and they'll probably buy a house in another year or two. You should be able to find a 1 bedroom, maybe a 2 bedroom, in your price range in the city. Maybe if you look hard and don't need as many amenities, you can find a 3 bedroom for around $2500. Would you be able to stay with your Aunt while you look for a place? Not sure how far Auburn is. I hope you find something great that meets your family's needs!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:47 AM

9,627 posts, read 23,839,881 times
You can find a three bedroom house in some parts of South Seattle for 2k per month. I know of one in Upper Rainier Beach. Not unsafe, but not especially pleasant, and I don't know how they'd feel about two dogs and two cats. Outside of that, Renton and Kent are good places to look, as well as Tukwila and Burien. All of these places have good parts and bad parts. Auburn, while a bit far, is on the Sounder Train line, so if the job at Starbucks HQ happens, that would be an easy schmeesy commute, if where you lived in Auburn wasn't too far from the Sounder station.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 AM

Thank you for the info guys/gals! I appreciate it. I will be working from home for my current company so it would be nice to have a dedicated office. I think a 3 bedroom is really a must.

Are their trains in and out of the Renton/Kent area?

Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM

9,627 posts, read 23,839,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Thank you for the info guys/gals! I appreciate it. I will be working from home for my current company so it would be nice to have a dedicated office. I think a 3 bedroom is really a must.

Are their trains in and out of the Renton/Kent area?
There are Sounder trains from downtown Kent, and fairly frequent express buses from a couple of park and rides in Renton.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:35 PM

458 posts, read 779,951 times
Burien would top my list...far enough to have more affordable rents and yet close enough, particularly to Starbucks HQ, that the commute would not be painful. It has a very cute downtown core with lots of shops, restaurants, yoga studios, coffee shops etc!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or