Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 01:32 PM

52 posts, read 114,316 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating to Seattle in the beginning if October. We have a 4 year old who will just miss the birthday cutoff for kindergarten. She is very bright and can already read and do basic math so ideally we'd like something that will keep up with her, but unfortunately at this point we will have to take what openings we can. We are planning to rent in the north Seattle area near UW in neighborhoods like Wallingford, Ravenna, Bryant etc. We are willing to drive for the right school, but can't add hours of commute. We also need 5-day a week full time care as we both work. If anyone has any advice or names of schools that likely don't have extensive waiting lists I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 03:01 PM

291 posts, read 392,334 times
Are you working for the UW? Sometimes they can help professors get kids in at the University day care which are highly recommended:

https://www.washington.edu/admin/hr/...n-centers.html

Probably worth getting on the waitlist or asking your supervisor/boss if you can get your child in as it's such a great deal.

In my experience and from what I've heard, it is extremely hard to find pre-schools or even pre-ks that cater towards well-prepared children academically. So I'd go for high quality with lots of opportunities if I were you.

Little Explorers is in Green Lake is good. Very experiential for the active, sensory child, like if your child loves art and/or being outdoors they will love this school. They have academics (music, French) as well but their real strength is their ability to get children experiencing life.

I also know that there are some good immersion schools around--I believe one Spanish and one German. That might be an enjoyable challenge for your daughter.

I also always refer people to Seattle ParentMap:

Business Directory - ParentMap

I have no idea which ones have waiting lists--my own just got into K this year, woooohoooooo! But I do know that ParentMap is a reliable source.

FYI you are moving to an area that has a Japanese / Spanish immersion school, McDonald, which will become lottery based soon, so there will be a lot more bussing for the children in some of those neighborhoods. Also if your daughter is highly advanced, like top 1.5% IQ/ top 2.5% achievement, the school in Fremont hosts the gifted program. This blog and comments provide an emotionally charged summary (I do not agree with the author's bias but it gives you an idea of the debate surrounding school zoning in the area where you're going):

John Stanford and McDonald to Become

I only point this out since your child may be in public school next year.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:38 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,163 times
There is a Bright Horizons at University Village. When I first went back to work at the UW after having DC1, I used the previous childcare center at U Village as it was convenient enough to visit/nurse during the day. I also enjoyed evening pickup as it was pleasant enough to stroller around and visit stores/QFC for shopping. This was ten years ago and I only needed baby care, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: