U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,755,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflix View Post
There is no such thing as "high class". If you're using those words, or the word "classy" its very likely you don't have much of an education.
Of course there is?? And using the well accepted terms, have nothing to do with your education level. I am extremely well educated with two masters degrees and I use those words as I'm sure many other well educated people do too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 11:45 PM

305 posts, read 352,856 times
You are worried if Auburn isnt high class enough?
Queen Anne much more north that way ------>

Old 08-08-2014, 12:58 AM

5 posts, read 6,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
You know how people on internet forums and comment sections can be- if brings out the worst in a lot of people. Do you really think there's some magical force ties to the region that makes people act differently from how they would in other cities? It may have its own variation of demographics, but come on... Seattle is just another US city.

Yes of course I know how people behave in forums, but I somehow expected that people would defend, praise, be proud, share tips of the city they live in. Maybe I am naive in that regard. Unless there is something seriously wrong with the city they live in. It confuses me that a group praises an area and other trash it. It makes it hard as an outsider to decide who is wrong and who is right if you are looking for the right neighborhood to settle in.

I'm an introvert and so is my husband, we don't need to be in the center where the action is. We like our privacy but do like to have a few good friends to hang out with. I did some research in Kirkland, read about the Neighborhood Organizations and went to their websites to check out their videos and articles. When we find an area that looks nice there are always people who tell you white trash lives there or snobs, or there are lots of homeless and drug problems, gangs related activities. It's difficult to get a feel for the area this way. I was under the impression that that was what these forums were for, but maybe I'm wrong and are they just for spewing people's unhappiness with their living situation.

We like to be outdoors which is always complicated because I use a wheelchair, things never turn out to be what they are. When calling or looking at websites of parks, trails, shopping areas and being told that it's all very accessible 9 out of 10 times there will be an obstacle. I do appreciate the information people give me but sometimes accessibility means something different to able people than to disabled people.

I really wish there would be per neighborhood a person who would spend an afternoon in a wheelchair to experience it from that point of view and then see if there are areas that could be improved and each neighborhood would have a ADA score just like the Walk score. Ah.. one can dream right?

Our relocation isn't a 'must'. We are happy where we are but a few job offers made us consider the move. We lived as (european)expats in many different countries and have already been 7 years in the same place now. We thought it would be exciting to change things up a bit. We always do our research first to get a feel for the country/city/neighborhood before we decide to move and never jump in feet first and then see how it turns out. I must say that getting this info from expat forums about new areas to live was never so negative as the messages that are posted here.

Thanks for your reply and I hope you all got a laugh out of the map.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:40 AM

3,534 posts, read 4,767,687 times
PNW Dutch Girl, just stop over-analyzing the place and move somewhere already.. You are a married introvert, then you will fit into the Seattle scene.. I am sure being a couple you will find some other couples group to hook up with.. Seattle is crappier when you are a single career person trying to find a group of other non-attached people to get involved with.

Seattle, isn't too much different than many metro areas.. It's the USA and shares a lot of similiar aspects.. People in Seattle city proper are alright people, just a bit distant , lack humor and not overly sociable with strangers. They seem friendly enough.. If you are shy and introverted, maybe you are just part of Seattle's problem. Maybe, you need to reach out and touch someone and stop complaining about how anti-social and introverted people are.

People in Seattle are socially awkard and the area has a very reserved Scandinavian culture.. You are a Dutch-descended introvert.. Take a look at yourself and you make crack the puzzle. You want to get out of your shell, I'm sure there are others in Seattle who want to get out of theirs.

I work 12+ hour a job and live out in the boonies, so it is hard to meet anybody, as I am in redneck landia.. I don't mind it really, as its beautiful scenery and cheaper living. I can handle rednecks as I grew up around them in Oregon.

However, if you through yourself into downtown Kirkland or downtown Seattle, live in Belltown or someth9ing, you will meet your average American Joes who work for the company and want to have fun and socialize just like everyone else. Being a couple is a great advantage anywhere, especially Seattle. People always trust a couple more than a single person.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:03 AM

5,735 posts, read 13,737,223 times
Before I moved to Seattle I constantly read negative comments about Seattle and the silly Seattle freeze crap and the people turned out to be the nicest, coolest, most down to earth people of all the cities I lived in. Its clean, extremely low violent crime which seems like Disneyland compared to many large cities. I just found the city to be almost too good to be true. I love Seattle and always will.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:23 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,910,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
This is true. When East coast people would ask what Seattle was like and I'd remark "It's a small city. You can drive 20 miles out and feel like you're deep in West Virginia" Which not to say you can drive 20 miles on any road, but doing the same in the DC area you're not even in the exurbs yet.
Call bull on that one, the area definitely isn't "small" going south to Tacoma. Maybe going north or east. Is less spread out compared to most southerner and eastern cities, but the further south you get it's still culturally diverse, urban, and alot of people.

Old 08-08-2014, 08:33 AM

605 posts, read 1,334,498 times
Auburn area is not that terrible. If you are going to move there, it is best to stay on the eastern edges of the city (think Lea Hill, and Lakeland hills). The valley area is not that nice. More industrial.

Old 08-08-2014, 03:37 PM

338 posts, read 781,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Before I moved to Seattle I constantly read negative comments about Seattle and the silly Seattle freeze crap and the people turned out to be the nicest, coolest, most down to earth people of all the cities I lived in. Its clean, extremely low violent crime which seems like Disneyland compared to many large cities. I just found the city to be almost too good to be true. I love Seattle and always will.
THIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
There is nothing wrong with a little bad language here and there kaonevar.. If you want to talk about how high you got off of ecstasy the night before, maybe you can hold off while there are kids around you, etc. Some people just have no dignity. They are just trashy people who run their mouth and talk crap.
I agree. I just didn't like some of the assumptions on these boards of late that people with piercings and tats are all ______ <fill in the blank with your insult of the day>.

Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 PM

5,075 posts, read 9,466,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
Call bull on that one, the area definitely isn't "small" going south to Tacoma. Maybe going north or east. Is less spread out compared to most southerner and eastern cities, but the further south you get it's still culturally diverse, urban, and alot of people.
I take it you've never been to Algona.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:36 AM

529 posts, read 739,670 times
Auburn WA for some reason doesn't seem too far off from Auburn CA in description. The same stuff the OP was talking about I actually confused for Auburn CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area