Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 12:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,750 times

Advertisements

I'm from a family where everyone had multiple degrees and/or spoke several languages, decent jobs but not as much money as some professionals.

We lived in lower to middle class/working class neighborhoods, as do I nowadays.

I mean, geez, what's wrong with working class, anyway? Many of us read, attend plays, operas. And I work with senior execs who don't do a lot of reading or any of that.

My point being that people aren't always what one may expect them to be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_7_lEOaU10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 10:43 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Don't fool yourselves...................toiletey, trashy people are EVERYWHERE!

I live in Spoketucky......this place makes Auburn look like Mercer-Island.

I have never lived in a place where so many grossly-obese people choose to wear spandex, BARF!

Old 11-25-2016, 07:23 AM

426 posts, read 526,833 times
Sure they're everywhere But what people are actually discussing is that some places have higher concentrations of certain personalities types.

Since not all areas are the same (and different people respect each other for different reasons) people are able to "fit in" better than they do compared to other areas, making the grass greener for them, though only them specifically.

That's what this thread is discussing. It shouldn't be interpreted as one place being "better" than the other. It's just better for that person.

Personally I love Spokane and visiting places like Auburn but work drives me here. Seattle folk aren't anywhere near as sophisticated as they believe (See: Dunning-Kruger effect). It's not that they lack "intelligence" but rather, social awareness.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,906 times
You are just a Crazy Donkey. I didn't say what I liked or didn't like. You certainly read into my comment to create a straw man. each of your sentences a lash out from a fragile ego.

With reading comprehension and a healthy ego you would be able to read my post without taking immediate offense. I used descriptions to tell a story and apparently it offended you. I don't fault those things which I described, but they are a lesser version of what Seattle was. Which was marked in my childhood predominantly by a tolerance for completely polar tastes and opinions and yet with respect for differences, without insults.

It was the provincial transplants shunned in mid-west "high schools" that dripped in and over time changed the tolerance of Seattle, bringing with them the social judgements of high school into social interaction, but reversing the social power to crown themselves. It was accepted because Seattle was tolerant.

Over the years, I watched transplants contribute in creating "The Seattle Freeze" that they would later complain about. Essentially a transplant who has been here a year or a month longer than the "newer guy," then pretends to represent all the epic norms of the place and with their own fragile ego attempt in making the newer person feel like a high school outcast. The feeling of Seattle tolerance was unfortunately eroded by little pricks who believe they are the only one who is RIGHT. It is what it is. But it's a form of fascism.

Rampant consumerism is a fact of life in postmodern USA, but to me it was sad when Seattle lost it's Artists and gained want-to-be consumer product designers. Nothing wrong with consumer product designers but it became a different place.

Last edited by Ghandi3-11; 12-06-2016 at 12:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area