Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:47 PM

12 posts, read 17,217 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a suburb near Seattle. We have a small family so good schools are a factor. We would like to be in suburban neighborhood, not urban (like around DT Seattle) close to parks, restaurants, shopping (Costco, Target, Grocery etc). Not too far from Seattle. Looking at Kirkland right now. Any ideas/leads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 03:58 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Kirkland's great (I've lived there) and Bothell & Woodinville to the north and northeast are also very nice communities. Depending on your budget, Bellevue might also be an excellent choice as is Sammamish.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:59 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregoniansonthemove View Post
We are looking for a suburb near Seattle. We have a small family so good schools are a factor. We would like to be in suburban neighborhood, not urban (like around DT Seattle) close to parks, restaurants, shopping (Costco, Target, Grocery etc). Not too far from Seattle. Looking at Kirkland right now. Any ideas/leads?
(Caveat: I live in Kirkland and love the place to an unreasonable extent. Perfect "for me", may or may not be for you.)

Some Kirkland school ratings at elementary and Jr. high level are great, if one believes the metascores sites.

NorKirk, where I live, is definitely suburban and slightly wonky. Rather quiet. I like Houghton a lot, too. Both are under a mile or so from resources you mention, the two concentrations west of I-405 being downtown and the Houghton plaza (I think it's called) at 6th St./108th and 68th. Parks, much closer in each case. Freeways, adjacent basically.

For better or worse, you'll pay for living there assuming you can find a rental. My favorite house in NorKirk put up a sign the other month (for rent), in the spring, then took it down in under five days. I figure that particular place must have gone fast, for probably $3,500/month. I'd seen the inside, back when it was for sale in 2011. For rent/for sale around there might be best spied by touring the neighborhood vs. other resources, in a crazed housing market.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:17 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Many of the suburban neighborhoods are in Seattle, so there's a difference between being in a suburb and a suburban neighborhood. The former requires you to be pretty far out of the city, as Mercer Island is the only actual suburb close to downtown. All of the other ones are either across the lake or 10+ miles out. If you rule out the in-city suburbs, you've probably eliminated 1/3 of all the conveniently located good suburban neighborhoods.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:36 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Issaquah is another possibility. Nice downtown, with lots of restaurants and shops. There is a Target, Fred Meyer, and PCC Natural Foods. Close to Lake Sammamish (swimming, picnicking) and Cougar, Squak, and Tiger Mountains (hiking). Good public schools.

From 30 to 45 minutes to drive or bus to downtown Seattle, depending on traffic. 20 to 25 minutes to Bellevue.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:12 PM

458 posts, read 958,302 times
All depends on where your are commuting to but Bainbridge Island is IMO one of the greatest places to live in the whole area and the schools are outstanding! Definitely worth checking out.

If commuting to the Eastside probably too far though i know plenty of people who do it. The school district is small and you can walk right into the office and they will answer any questions you have! Its like a small town without being a small town if that makes sense.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Would like a three bedroom house for 1500 a month? Does that exist in the Seattle area? If I go off trulia, it seems to exist. Looking for a good school district as well.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Would like a three bedroom house for 1500 a month? Does that exist in the Seattle area? If I go off trulia, it seems to exist. Looking for a good school district as well.
Not in the most "in demand" neighborhoods, but if willing to go out a little ways:

seattle apts/housing for rent - craigslist

Old 08-10-2014, 06:36 PM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Not in the most "in demand" neighborhoods, but if willing to go out a little ways:

seattle apts/housing for rent - craigslist
Thanks. Wow, a lot to sort through.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Thanks. Wow, a lot to sort through.
The list is sorted by rent (low to high), with a floor of $1000 (to filter out the house room rentals and rent-to-own scamw), so some are recent, others aren't. Resort by a "newest" with a max of, say, $1600 to see newest in your price range at the top.

To check on schools, go to:

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 08-10-2014 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area