Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2015, 03:06 AM

603 posts, read 877,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
First, that assumes that people eat or don't eat at specific fast food locations for ideological reasons which I suspect is only true for about 1% of the population.

But in general, the difference between the Seattle metro area and say...Oklahoma City is probably only about 20 percentage points. Seattle is maybe 60/40 liberal/conservative whereas Oklahoma City is maybe the opposite, 40/60 liberal conservative. This is a majority rules country so that 20% makes all the difference in policy and character of the city. But in the end there are millions of conservatives living in the Puget Sound region just like there are millions of liberals living in Oklahoma. It's just that neither of them are in the majority.
Seattle is definitely one of the more liberal metro areas (probably Top 3 in the nation) but there are still plenty of conservative or Independent right-leaning folks (I'm the latter). I once heard the term "Washington Republican," which pretty much refers to what a lot of Eastsiders are; fiscally-conservative and socially liberal or socially "I don't care you live your life and I'll live mine."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Guess the "A" in Chick-fil-A doesn't stand for "Aetheist".

Old 05-09-2015, 10:14 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
Live and let live and be open-minded, isn't that what being liberal is all about?
That's the dictionary definition, but in terms of politics I would say Libertarian is closest to what you've described.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:39 PM

129 posts, read 150,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
Seattle is definitely one of the more liberal metro areas (probably Top 3 in the nation) but there are still plenty of conservative or Independent right-leaning folks (I'm the latter). I once heard the term "Washington Republican," which pretty much refers to what a lot of Eastsiders are; fiscally-conservative and socially liberal or socially "I don't care you live your life and I'll live mine."
from what i gather, Washington State is like a spectrum: the further west you go, the bluer it gets, while the further east you go, the redder it gets. I remember in the last gubernatorial race, which was part of a larger national election, one of the talking heads on cable news said the Republican challenger for governor hadn't really delivered the eastern part of the state, and without that he was toast. They were right, and Inslee won.

It was a bit surprising to see Issaquah, which is fairly Democratic, is in a Republican district, but the rep is fairly moderate, judging by his Wikipedia entry. That district looks to be about as far west as the GOP goes.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:52 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
That's the dictionary definition, but in terms of politics I would say Libertarian is closest to what you've described.
actually, most of the democrats that i know are actually libertarian in their views but they continue to vote democrat in every election because they don't want to "waste their vote"...

Old 05-10-2015, 11:05 AM

366 posts, read 596,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
actually, most of the democrats that i know are actually libertarian in their views but they continue to vote democrat in every election because they don't want to "waste their vote"...
This is getting totally OT but this is exactly why the two-party, first-past-the-post system is antiquated and harmful. It forces people not to vote based on their beliefs but based on either fear of the wrong team winning or some kind of notion that you need to pick the winner.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:09 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,235 times
Just what we need...more fast food

Old 05-10-2015, 01:09 PM

129 posts, read 150,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
This is getting totally OT but this is exactly why the two-party, first-past-the-post system is antiquated and harmful. It forces people not to vote based on their beliefs but based on either fear of the wrong team winning or some kind of notion that you need to pick the winner.
Actually I think the opposite is true. It makes people slaves to party and they keep re-electing incompetents and idiots because they have a D or R after their name and not because they are any good or effective.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:44 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxan View Post
Actually I think the opposite is true. It makes people slaves to party and they keep re-electing incompetents and idiots because they have a D or R after their name and not because they are any good or effective.
I think you are both actually in agreement with each other. The 2 party system self perpetuates itself.

The wasted vote argument is a fallacy but most democrats believe it anyway. As for why democrats believe in such a fallacy? I won't say because I'll offend a lot of Seattle residents (since most of them are democrats).

But I still like chick-fil-a. I think I like the classic chicken sandwich the most but I do like the one with lettuce and tomato added as well as I think that adds some more color and depth to the sandwich. As for sauce, the polynesian is a little too sweet but still my favorite. My least favorite sauce is actually the yellow chick-fil-a sauce. My vote for most unoriginal sauce (not including ketchup) is probably the buffalo sauce. I like it but it just tastes like...buffalo sauce.

RVD.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:15 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
I've noticed that every right of center poster here has themselves convinced that all the Democratic voters here aren't really Democratic. It's bizarre. I've never heard of anyone voting differently than they believe simply so they can be "part of a majority". The Democrats win here because there are more Democratic voters. As for Chick-fil-A, I've had them, they're okay but I certainly not worth driving to Bellevue or Lynnwood for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area