Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I guess it's a good thing for John Mackey that all the good little lefties around here don't appear to think about his libertarian politics before they shop at Whole Foods.
I don't shop at Whole Foods. And these guys have donated money to anti-gay groups for years. I'm not gay but have seen some ridiculous things so I'm supportive of them.

The mantra that tolerant cities are intolerant ignores the reality that what you are asking for is tolerance for your intolerance. How that got pretzelized into bigoted is completely laughable. By that logic, Lincoln was intolerant of the Confederates.

Prior to the 60s, evangelicals used the Bible as a reason to make interracial marriage illegal. Under that same umbrella, you would have called those who supported interracial marriage bigots because they didn't agree with you. Now, interracial marriage isn't even noticed. Did the Bible change? No, so apparently evangelicals have reinterpreted the Bible to not see a problem with it.

Chik-fil-A is a big company, they aren't going to miss my dollars and they've got you guys ordering double portions so it all works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 07:59 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
I do find it funny that some give Chick-Fil-A ownership a pass for being openly against gay marriage, writing it off as their choice. So if the owner of another chain started supporting movements to allow marriage only between people of the same race, would that be OK, too? I'm sure we'd have to say it's just their freedom to do so if they started moving to get interracial marriage outlawed.

I won't eat there really just because I thought they had too small of a menu and food that is not all that great when I was there once a few years ago, however my wife has sworn never to go again because of their ridiculous stance against gay marriage.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Same here. Ironically, I never gave Chik-fil-A a thought until the gays attacked them. Now I don't pass up a chance to give them some business.
For years I never gave JCPenny a thought until the Christians attacked them. Now, I don['t pass up a chance to give them some business.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:16 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
All you had to say was 'I don't have any examples.' Voila. Unnecessary block of text dispatched.

What thought is there to give? The moment you write off an entire, nebulous group of people as 'you and your ilk,' I know I'm dealing with a hateful bigot who trades only in hyperbole. What middle ground do we have on which to meet? The answer is none.

I will happily continue to support Chick-fil-A, not only because I enjoy their food, but because their CEO has the courage to express himself in a time of increasingly bold attacks on freedom of speech by homofascists and their cronies. The fact that it makes you so angry that people are still allowed to speak their minds while running a business in America is going to make those sandwiches all the tastier. Mmm-MMM! Freedom.
The CEO of Chick-fil-A's freedom of speech does not protect him from the freedom of speech of those who disagree with him.

Freedom of speech has consequences.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:27 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
For years I never gave JCPenny a thought until the Christians attacked them. Now, I don['t pass up a chance to give them some business.
You must be so proud.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
It's unhealthy crap, chock full of chemicals and MSG. There are plenty of reasons not to go there beyond the owner's Neolithic stance on social issues.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:30 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
The CEO of Chick-fil-A's freedom of speech does not protect him from the freedom of speech of those who disagree with him.

Freedom of speech has consequences.
Yep, and even the CEO of the organization, the culprit himself, is better at respecting dissenting positions than his alleged supporters, as evidenced here.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:46 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
I would never eat there because I'm a vegetarian, but if I weren't, I'd support them just to counter the hysterical overkill they've been targeted with. Their CEO said his religious beliefs lead him to exclusively support male-female marriage. Period. Big deal. He also said no one has been turned down for employment because of their orientation, nor have gay customers been turned away. It's his personal belief, and as a non-Christian who voted for Ref 74, I couldn't care less. He's entitled to believe whatever he wants. I guess that wasn't acceptable to leftist city leaders around the country, many of whom said the company would no longer be welcomed within their city limits. Mozilla's CEO suffered a similar fate, having to give up his position when it was discovered that he'd donated to the anti-gay-marriage campaign in California years ago. So much for "I disagree with what you say but will defend to the death your right to say it." Apparently, there's nothing more intolerant than a "tolerant" "liberal."

I guess it's a good thing for John Mackey that all the good little lefties around here don't appear to think about his libertarian politics before they shop at Whole Foods.
It's not overkill IMO, though they do make an easy target because the love for their food runs deep. You are right, he can believe whatever he wants and he can donate to any cause he wants. I have no issue with that. But if I am against his position and work hard to treat all people fairly, the only thing I can really do with regards to CF is not to spend my money there. Same with Whole Foods and a handful of others with policies I don't like including environmental and tax/legal. I'm sure they dont miss it, like I wont miss CF's fried fat. To have any kind of personal integrity, I have to do what I can to support the positions I agree with, and not support those I don't. Do do otherwise would be highly hypocritical. We all do it, but most people don't have deep enough commitment or strong enough convictions to actually do without something they want or like. We live in a society where we want what we want and we want it now.

The only leverage I have as a consumer is to not support the company, and make sure that I spread the word so that others can research and make their own decision from and informed position.

If i was a mayor or city councilman and had a population of constituents that supported gay marriage or anything else, I would have to vote against anything that would allow them to open in my jurisdiction. Its not leftists city leaders, its responsible politics, something we aren't used to seeing in this country.

BTW, do you really believe that they have never turned anyone down for employment due to sexual orientation just because the CEO said it? What else could he have answered when asked? As for turning away customers who are gay, of course they haven't, none went in. But seriously, of course not he would take cash from anyone, like any good businessman.

Also, what is Ref 74?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
It's not overkill IMO, though they do make an easy target because the love for their food runs deep. You are right, he can believe whatever he wants and he can donate to any cause he wants. I have no issue with that. But if I am against his position and work hard to treat all people fairly, the only thing I can really do with regards to CF is not to spend my money there. Same with Whole Foods and a handful of others with policies I don't like including environmental and tax/legal. I'm sure they dont miss it, like I wont miss CF's fried fat. To have any kind of personal integrity, I have to do what I can to support the positions I agree with, and not support those I don't. Do do otherwise would be highly hypocritical. We all do it, but most people don't have deep enough commitment or strong enough convictions to actually do without something they want or like. We live in a society where we want what we want and we want it now.

The only leverage I have as a consumer is to not support the company, and make sure that I spread the word so that others can research and make their own decision from and informed position.

If i was a mayor or city councilman and had a population of constituents that supported gay marriage or anything else, I would have to vote against anything that would allow them to open in my jurisdiction. Its not leftists city leaders, its responsible politics, something we aren't used to seeing in this country.

BTW, do you really believe that they have never turned anyone down for employment due to sexual orientation just because the CEO said it? What else could he have answered when asked? As for turning away customers who are gay, of course they haven't, none went in. But seriously, of course not he would take cash from anyone, like any good businessman.

Also, what is Ref 74?
None went in? Lol, I'll have to tell my bestie that she's never been to her favorite fast food place.

Ref. 74 is WA gay marriage bill.

I know a lot of people that are excited that they're finally here, I think it'll do well.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:57 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Also, what is Ref 74?
Well said, (can't rep you again so ) Washington Referendum 74 was the vote we held in 2012 legalizing gay marriage in Washington State. This was passed by Washington State voters, not a judge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area