Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:00 AM

2 posts, read 6,975 times

Advertisements

First off, thanks to all who post such great information on these threads. I've learned a lot already!

My wife and I are moving to Seattle from the Midwest. My job is in the Fremont area. She works from a home office. No kids. Unfortunately, there will be no time for a personal visit for apartment hunting, so we'll have to do it virtually.

My employer provides parking, so I could drive. But I'm not averse to bus/train. The main thing is we need 2 bedrooms (one for her office) while trying to keep it under $2K/month.

Really appreciate the input. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:30 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
If I were working in Fremont, I'd live in...Fremont. It's a nice enough neighborhood, with plenty of places to shop or dine at. Walking to work has many advantages. You can easily find an apartment there for 2k. Or Ballard nearby would also be good, with even more dining and shopping options.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:32 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Wallingford is not far from Fremont and has a decent selection of places to shop and dine.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:28 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If I were working in Fremont, I'd live in...Fremont. It's a nice enough neighborhood, with plenty of places to shop or dine at. Walking to work has many advantages. You can easily find an apartment there for 2k. Or Ballard nearby would also be good, with even more dining and shopping options.
This makes the most sense. With so many good choices in and near Fremont, you'd have to have a really compelling reason to give yourself a commute to get there.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:19 AM

510 posts, read 609,907 times
2 bedroom for less than $2K is not easily doable in Fremont, especially when you are searching virtually from out of town. They exist, but are rare and you have to act fast when you see them. Fremont is a nice neighborhood though, so if I worked there I would definitely try to live there.

Ballard and U District probably have more options at the price range, and both are easy bus commutes to Fremont (or drives). North Queen Anne and Interbay have more at that price too, but those neighborhoods are not as nice in my opinion (Interbay is a bit industrial and split down the middle by a really busy, loud road. North Queen Anne just lacks in amenities and you have to walk up a half-mile up a giant hill to get to a grocery store for example)

Old 08-14-2014, 11:36 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Personally, the possibility of walking to work would be too nice to resist- I'd try to find something decent with two bedrooms in the same neighborhood or maybe the West side of Wallingford. (I know nothing of Walingford rents) I'd look at older, smaller buildings- you might find something in your price range in the area.

Old 08-14-2014, 11:56 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,846,653 times
Whatever you do, live within walking distance to Paseo. When you're going there 4 days a week for a delicious sandwich you'll thank me.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:36 PM

338 posts, read 847,787 times
I agree with Interbay not being great, but North Queen Anne is fine. Lots of stuff to do and very walkable. Though I don't think you'll find much in your price range. Ballard and Wallingford would probably be better.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Whatever you do, live within walking distance to Paseo. When you're going there 4 days a week for a delicious sandwich you'll thank me.
Uneeda Burger, across from Paseo, is also really good.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:16 PM

176 posts, read 299,356 times
Your best bet is to try the surrounding area like Wallingford, Ballard, QA, Greenwood, Greenlake. You can certainly find a 2bedroom within your price range (try using PadMapper). The problem you may run into, depending on your preference, is style of apartment.

I would prioritize the search in this order: Fremont > Wallingford > Ballard > Greenwood. Since you're doing all of this virtually, be wary of scammers which require everything upfront without seeing it in person (you can hire someone to go take a look, worth the money). Or you can pay a Seattle apartment hunting company to help find you an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area