Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 11:21 AM

480 posts, read 668,315 times

Advertisements

If you exclude cost of housing, is it more expensive to live in the upscale eastside cities like Bellevue, Issaquah, Redmond than elsewhere in the Puget Sound?

If so, what about these cities costs more than elsewhere?

Is it more expensive to raise kids in Issaquah than Burien? (Public school, but do sports and stuff)?

I'm trying to weigh a move from Burien to Issaquah. Housing costs are easy to figure. The hard part is the soft costs like food, gas, costs of raising children (I have three), etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Gas prices, and non-big box store prices, such as restaurants and barbershops are tied to the rent or cost of land. Just as housing costs more, so does commercial space. Add to that the perception by business owners that they can charge more because people can afford to pay more. Sammamish, Redmond and Issaquah generally have higher gas prices than even Bellevue, but much of that is less competition with fewer stations than Bellevue. My experience with youth sports is mostly soccer, and coaching in the Lake Washington Association (Sammamish, Redmond, Kirkland) I found that paid coaches for competitive leagues and owning property for fields, along with paid league staff means higher parental costs than my prior experience with all volunteer clubs using school fields. I'm not familiar with the Issaquah youth sports nor the costs of anything in Burien but I would expect many if not most costs to be higher in Issaquah if only because the median family income in Issaquah is $87,000 as compared to $50k in Burien.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:30 PM

731 posts, read 935,707 times
I grew up in Burien (and went to public schools there 30 years ago) and my best friend is still there raising her 3 kids. I would not elect to go with public schools in Burien, but I would in Issaquah. I pay more for my house, but she pays more for school, so it evens out. Also her kids are big into soccer and they pay a small fortune for that, so I'm not so sure that would be cheaper in Burien.

What would be easier in Burien than Issaquah is just driving around. Burien is not nearly as desirable an area, so it's not nearly as crowded. Going to soccer practice and the grocery store would be much easier in Burien.

Old 08-25-2014, 01:11 PM

217 posts, read 411,517 times
cost of extra-curricular and general kids stuff is definitely higher here (Issaquah) than where we moved from, but I'm not familiar enough with Burien to be able to give a comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area