Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 AM

403 posts, read 681,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Oh, very helpful thanks. I'm sure there's a youtube video on learning to do it. Would you know how it compares to Snoqualmie or Lookout Passes?

Since we would be driving, I could probably wait a day or two on either end of the trip... I'm assuming they get the roads cleared out pretty quickly.. at least they always did when I lived in the upper mid-west.
Any chains that you buy new should come with instructions. Practice multiple times, and at night with a headlamp or flashlight. In darkness and with cold hands can be a lot of fun if you've never done it before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have made the Southern California to Texas route and vice versa many times. I was hoping to be able to do a different route to see new parts of the country. Oh well, safety first and I can always visit my family in California on the way up the 5.
I think with all that you have going on with that trip, that the I-10/I-5 route is a good suggestion for that time of year. I love the mountains as much as anything, and especially more so now that I live in the Houston area. I drove here with my son in February of 2012 taking a similar route, but cutting through Wyoming. I found the Idaho and Wyoming portions to be pretty boring really. We drove down in a Hyundai Accent and the roads were in great shape in most areas. Coming through Colorado into Kansas we were about 36 hours behind a pretty major blizzard though. Fortunately, road crews had things in decent shape.

When I drove down with the rest of my family that summer, we took almost your identical route coming down into SLC, but then dove south as we wanted a day at the Grand Canyon. We then headed east and came through Roswell, NM, then on into Amarillo and beyond.

The high plains all kind of look the same after a while and most interstate routes don't give you a real good view of going through high mountains, for obvious reasons. Eastern WA and the Cascades/Snoqualmie Pass going towards Seattle can cause issues, as can the Siskiyous, as people have mentioned. With larger vehicles and towing, the south approach makes more sense. Good luck; I'm envious and hope I can make the return journey someday.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:36 PM

338 posts, read 847,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbt1766 View Post
I'm moving back south I don't like the cold weather up north. Unless you like cold weather stay in a place that has mild winters.
Seattle *does* get mild winters.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:08 AM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
I think with all that you have going on with that trip, that the I-10/I-5 route is a good suggestion for that time of year. I love the mountains as much as anything, and especially more so now that I live in the Houston area. I drove here with my son in February of 2012 taking a similar route, but cutting through Wyoming. I found the Idaho and Wyoming portions to be pretty boring really. We drove down in a Hyundai Accent and the roads were in great shape in most areas. Coming through Colorado into Kansas we were about 36 hours behind a pretty major blizzard though. Fortunately, road crews had things in decent shape.

When I drove down with the rest of my family that summer, we took almost your identical route coming down into SLC, but then dove south as we wanted a day at the Grand Canyon. We then headed east and came through Roswell, NM, then on into Amarillo and beyond.

The high plains all kind of look the same after a while and most interstate routes don't give you a real good view of going through high mountains, for obvious reasons. Eastern WA and the Cascades/Snoqualmie Pass going towards Seattle can cause issues, as can the Siskiyous, as people have mentioned. With larger vehicles and towing, the south approach makes more sense. Good luck; I'm envious and hope I can make the return journey someday.
Thank you for the feedback. We live in the "hill country" here and I too miss the mountains something fierce. As I grew up in Central Cali and would spend weeks up in the high sierras. I am looking forward to the change in topography for sure!

I am worried about the "Seattle Freeze" in terms of meeting new people and making friends however. The southern hospitality of Texas has been quite amazing and we made life long friends here.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. We live in the "hill country" here and I too miss the mountains something fierce. As I grew up in Central Cali and would spend weeks up in the high sierras. I am looking forward to the change in topography for sure!

I am worried about the "Seattle Freeze" in terms of meeting new people and making friends however. The southern hospitality of Texas has been quite amazing and we made life long friends here.
So far, I've found this area to be no more friendly than what I experienced living in the Pac NW. In fact, I've had more than a fair share of folks take great offense when they heard I was here from the Seattle area. They quickly shut up when I would ask them about where to find the reported Texas/southern hospitality.

I've yet to spend any quality time in the hill country, and I hope to get out there this fall/winter to explore some hiking opportunities. The flatness and the Piney woods just doesn't do it for me.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:29 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times
Quote:

You are leaving probably one of the best places in Texas (extended family outside of New Braunfels), but even so evergreens on the mountains are unbeatable. Just FYI I think there is less of the Freeze on the Eastside.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:40 PM

83 posts, read 114,195 times
If you're from Texas, please don't bring your driving habits with you

Old 08-20-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHitTheHighNotes View Post
If you're from Texas, please don't bring your driving habits with you
I learned to drive in California...is that any better?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I learned to drive in California...is that any better?
It has to be. This is one of the most dangerous places (Houston area that is) I've ever experienced driving, outside of a foreign country. Another part of the reason my son did not get his license until he was almost 18, and had more time behind the wheel with a parent with him. I drive here assuming that every driver in the lane next to me will cut me off with no signal, every person approaching a roadway from a side street or business entrance is going to pull out without stopping, and that every car behind me has a driver that is on a cell phone and will not see me when I stop or slow down. It's just that bad.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
It has to be. This is one of the most dangerous places (Houston area that is) I've ever experienced driving, outside of a foreign country. Another part of the reason my son did not get his license until he was almost 18, and had more time behind the wheel with a parent with him. I drive here assuming that every driver in the lane next to me will cut me off with no signal, every person approaching a roadway from a side street or business entrance is going to pull out without stopping, and that every car behind me has a driver that is on a cell phone and will not see me when I stop or slow down. It's just that bad.
Yeah the driving here is fairly bad. I will give you that. Austin is better since we have so many transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area