Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:33 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,395 times

Advertisements

OMG, I can't believe how many people see nothing wrong with this. The OP is right that fundamentally this kind of enforcement is illegal. They (The Government) cant just stop me to see if I am complying with all rules and regulation and hope that they find something else to cite me for. It is constitutionally protected! It doesn't matter if its not a big fine or no big deal, if you give on this right, where does it stop?

This tactic is SOP for King county and I have written to them complaining. The response I got was essentially too bad and then a bunch of other questions that i refused to reply answers to. I have No Soliciting signs up and asked them how they felt it was OK to come to my door. Their response was that they had the right to enforce laws, which is total BS, and that they didn't have to comply with posted signage by homeowners.

This is another example of our increasing police state and decreased respect for our rights by all levels of government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
We have a law in our city that makes it a jail offense to knock and solicit when there is a sign posted, and that requires a permit even for calling on people with no sign. It does not apply to code enforcement from the city, county state or any other agency.

Some of us find it hard to believe that someone would be so upset about a county worker doing his job enforcing a law.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,739 times
ohh blah blah how about licensing your pets - the city councils are the one who passed and works with King County and some of the pets should run away their owners are inhuman and cheap

Old 09-15-2014, 03:35 PM

293 posts, read 317,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
OMG, I can't believe how many people see nothing wrong with this. The OP is right that fundamentally this kind of enforcement is illegal. They (The Government) cant just stop me to see if I am complying with all rules and regulation and hope that they find something else to cite me for. It is constitutionally protected! It doesn't matter if its not a big fine or no big deal, if you give on this right, where does it stop?

This tactic is SOP for King county and I have written to them complaining. The response I got was essentially too bad and then a bunch of other questions that i refused to reply answers to. I have No Soliciting signs up and asked them how they felt it was OK to come to my door. Their response was that they had the right to enforce laws, which is total BS, and that they didn't have to comply with posted signage by homeowners.

This is another example of our increasing police state and decreased respect for our rights by all levels of government.
They RECEIEVED a complaint.

Maybe if more people had enough skill points in reading comprehension, we wouldn't be having moronic statements in this thread. Nowhere does this indicate that the government employee randomly and indiscriminately decided to check up on King Country residents. OP had an official COMPLAINT filed against the household about a pet. The government employee was doing their JOB. Something you right wing nuts seem to emphasize a lot.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,026 times
Quote:

Maybe if more people had enough skill points in reading comprehension, we wouldn't be having moronic statements in this thread.
I've seen "they received a complaint" in this thread a few times, by someone other than the original poster, but I didn't see it in the OP at all:

Quote:
Looking for the previous homeowner. I recently bought the house and told her he doesn't live here anymore. She said she was here to renew their pet license. My guests dog was barking in the background. She asked if the dog was mine and I told her it was not, I have a guest staying with me. She told me I would need to get a license for my guests dog. I simply told her I don't see how I could be required to license the dog of a short term guest, and for that matter, how the government is going door to door inspecting peoples property, then closed the door on her.

She left a notice on my door stating that I have 72 hours to comply or get a $125 ticket per pet. WTF? I am NOT going to pay to license my short term guests dog considering they don't live in King County, and I don't see how it is legal for them to come to my house looking for someone else and then fine me for this or threaten to fine me for this. Should I call and speak to a supervisor, get a lawyer, or wait until I get a ticket then fight it in court? This is bs.
The OP said they came looking for the previous owner, who had a pet, to renew the license. Or at least that's what was said. Where do you get that they received a complaint about the dog in the first place? Or are you just assuming it? I haven't seen it stated by the OP in this thread, so it sounds like an assumption.

I've had one come to my door, saying they were just doing "door to door convenience checks." I said my dogs were licensed. She said my dogs weren't on her list (and she did have one that she pulled out). So I got my license letter and showed her. I wouldn't be surprised if she was sent because someone complained- my dogs were having barking issues at the time- but she clearly stated she was just going door to door as a convenience. She also went next door, where there are also dogs (who almost never barked- I can't imagine they got a complaint). I didn't watch after that point.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:41 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,053,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post

Maybe if more people had enough skill points in reading comprehension, we wouldn't be having moronic statements in this thread. Nowhere does this indicate that the government employee randomly and indiscriminately decided to check up on King Country residents. OP had an official COMPLAINT filed against the household about a pet. The government employee was doing their JOB. Something you right wing nuts seem to emphasize a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFQypLPZejA

Old 09-16-2014, 02:35 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrispy View Post
I've seen "they received a complaint" in this thread a few times, by someone other than the original poster, but I didn't see it in the OP at all:

The OP said they came looking for the previous owner, who had a pet, to renew the license. Or at least that's what was said. Where do you get that they received a complaint about the dog in the first place? Or are you just assuming it? I haven't seen it stated by the OP in this thread, so it sounds like an assumption.

I've had one come to my door, saying they were just doing "door to door convenience checks." I said my dogs were licensed. She said my dogs weren't on her list (and she did have one that she pulled out). So I got my license letter and showed her. I wouldn't be surprised if she was sent because someone complained- my dogs were having barking issues at the time- but she clearly stated she was just going door to door as a convenience. She also went next door, where there are also dogs (who almost never barked- I can't imagine they got a complaint). I didn't watch after that point.

You clearly get it. Unlike the people who slander me, say that I yelled at her and slammed the door in her face, when nothing like that happened at all. No one called a complaint. As I stated several times now, they came looking for the previous owner because their registration expired. I know the previous owner had a pet, I saw it during the inspection.

Something so simple is so difficult for soooo many people here to understand, and then when you call them out on their ignorance, they just report you to the mods, and the mods partake in the silencing of those who are being reasonable and factual, while the people who can't even seem to comprehend basic things in this thread talk endlessly about things they know not of. What a great forum you guys are running here. When 80% of the people who responded can't even read the first two sentences and understand the facts, that says a lot...

Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Wait - I have to license my dogs and cats but not my guns? That's nuts.

Hey, RVD up there lives in Komifornia, where you must license everything. No suprise that RVD is totally for it, and accuses me of yelling at the lady and slamming the door in her face. Clearly RVD has all the facts and knows everything since RVD was apparently there. Let's all have RVD tell us exactly what happened. Apparently I lied about the lady asking for the previous owner by name. Nope, the previous owner had no pet at alllll, even though I have stated otherwise. RVD thinks someone called in a complaint. If RVD says it, it must be true. He or she must have been there since RVD seems to think they know so much. Tell us how it went down RVD. You are afterall from the state where politicians are doing so much good for the country.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:57 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Well, lesson learned. If you're going to live the life of a scofflaw you need nerves of steel. You can't be going to pieces every time your nefarious plans to harbor unlicensed pets are uncovered.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:02 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,371,808 times
The county employee should maintain a level of professionalism, no matter how they are treated. Because someone slammed a door in her face doesn't give her the authority to then abuse her position and threaten the tax paying citizen with no evidence. She had no evidence that the dog belonged to the OP instead of a house guest.
The officer simply should have politely stated that residents license their dogs but if it was just a visitor, then it's not necessary, have a nice day and good bye and things would not have escalated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area