Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 02:20 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times

Advertisements

Looking for the previous homeowner. I recently bought the house and told her he doesn't live here anymore. She said she was here to renew their pet license. My guests dog was barking in the background. She asked if the dog was mine and I told her it was not, I have a guest staying with me. She told me I would need to get a license for my guests dog. I simply told her I don't see how I could be required to license the dog of a short term guest, and for that matter, how the government is going door to door inspecting peoples property, then closed the door on her.

She left a notice on my door stating that I have 72 hours to comply or get a $125 ticket per pet. WTF? I am NOT going to pay to license my short term guests dog considering they don't live in King County, and I don't see how it is legal for them to come to my house looking for someone else and then fine me for this or threaten to fine me for this. Should I call and speak to a supervisor, get a lawyer, or wait until I get a ticket then fight it in court? This is bs.

Last edited by Tac-Sea; 09-07-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 03:54 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Since they cracked down, they have no doubt heard your story 50 times a day, it sounds like an obvious dodge. I would make sure you have proof of the dog belonging to someone in another county, then save it in case they follow up.
This is not a crime where you are innocent until proven guilty. They saw a dog in your home you will have to prove it was just visiting. How long has it been there? They normally won't stop at a house unless they have seen the dog from the street or heard a complaint from a neighbor.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:07 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,835,953 times
Ummm...As I noted in the very first sentence of my post, they stopped by looking for the previous homeowner. Also, I never said they saw my dog in my home. I said she heard it backing in the background.

Second of all, no I am not required to prove that the dog doesn't live here. The burden of proof is on the prosecution.

I'm going to call Monday and get the name of the person who stopped by as well as the name of the person I'm speaking with and a mailing address to which I will send certified mail with a letter citing the statues for pet licensing. The statue states: [SIZE=2][SIZE=2] "Harbored, kept or maintained" which "means performing any of the acts of providing care, shelter, protection, refuge, food or nourishment in such a manner as to control the animal's actions, or that the animal or animals are treated as living at one's house by the homeowner."

The statute does not state I have to reveal the identiy of my friend or that my friend has to furnish proof of the fact that their pet is licensed here or elsewhere.

Furthermore, the Fourth Ammendment specifically prohibits government officials, yes, even those who are not police from peering through peoples windows or looking over peoples fences or knocking on their doors with the hopes of finding unregistered pets. The county has no right to unlawfully search my property or cite me for an animal that is not mine, and the law states that I am not required to provide any proof that it is not my dog.
[
The fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine states that evidence gained as a result of unlawful search is inadmissible. They came to my house looking for someone else. Hearing my guests dog would envoke the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine. IAs would peering over my fence without cause, such as a barking sound, a neighbor complaining, etc. 've beat tickets under this doctrine before because I was able to show I was pulled over without probable cause.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:29 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Ummm...As I noted in the very first sentence of my post, they stopped by looking for the previous homeowner. Also, I never said they saw my dog in my home. I said she heard it backing in the background.

Second of all, no I am not required to prove that the dog doesn't live here. The burden of proof is on the prosecution.

I'm going to call Monday and get the name of the person who stopped by as well as the name of the person I'm speaking with and a mailing address to which I will send certified mail with a letter citing the statues for pet licensing. The statue states: [SIZE=2][SIZE=2] "Harbored, kept or maintained" which "means performing any of the acts of providing care, shelter, protection, refuge, food or nourishment in such a manner as to control the animal's actions, or that the animal or animals are treated as living at one's house by the homeowner."

The statute does not state I have to reveal the identiy of my friend or that my friend has to furnish proof of the fact that their pet is licensed here or elsewhere.

Furthermore, the Fourth Ammendment specifically prohibits government officials, yes, even those who are not police from peering through peoples windows or looking over peoples fences or knocking on their doors with the hopes of finding unregistered pets. The county has no right to unlawfully search my property or cite me for an animal that is not mine, and the law states that I am not required to provide any proof that it is not my dog.
[
The fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine states that evidence gained as a result of unlawful search is inadmissible. They came to my house looking for someone else. Hearing my guests dog would envoke the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine. IAs would peering over my fence without cause, such as a barking sound, a neighbor complaining, etc. 've beat tickets under this doctrine before because I was able to show I was pulled over without probable cause.
Having been a county employee, my only suggestion when you do call is to be as pleasant as humanly possible. You really don't want this escalate, you just want it to go away, right?
Explain that someone was visiting with their dog, and there was a mistake made in giving you this ultimatum for licensing. Or call all angry and stuff, and at some point you might need an attorney. You'll likely win in court, but it's up to you if it's worth it. if it were me, I'd act all patient and kind, even if I weren't feeling those things.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:55 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Since you recently moved, they probably had the previous owner on the record. My guess is someone called in a complaint and whomever processed it saw there was an expired license on premises.

The other side of this is WHY in the world does the person staying with you not care enough about the dog to get it licensed? Dogs are expensive and with 4 legs they're quite capable of getting away and getting lost on their own. It seems negligent or lazy at best, and grossly negligent if the reason the dog isn't licensed is because it already has a er... "criminal" record - I think the limit is 3 aggressive incidents against humans. At the very least if the dog is lost theres a better much change of getting it back, assuming they want it back.

FWIW, I had a roommate that had moved from out in the country and didn't really 'get' why it made sense to have a dog neutered - until she jumped the fence and got knocked up - nor why someone would pay to for a chip - until she got lost while chasing a squirrel - or why it made sense to get a license - until animal control picked up the lost dog, couldn't locate the owner, then charged an even bigger fine to get the dog back.

This stuff seems obvious, but apparently not to everyone.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:05 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,870,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Since you recently moved, they probably had the previous owner on the record. My guess is someone called in a complaint and whomever processed it saw there was an expired license on premises.

The other side of this is WHY in the world does the person staying with you not care enough about the dog to get it licensed? Dogs are expensive and with 4 legs they're quite capable of getting away and getting lost on their own. It seems negligent or lazy at best, and grossly negligent if the reason the dog isn't licensed is because it already has a er... "criminal" record - I think the limit is 3 aggressive incidents against humans. At the very least if the dog is lost theres a better much change of getting it back, assuming they want it back.

FWIW, I had a roommate that had moved from out in the country and didn't really 'get' why it made sense to have a dog neutered - until she jumped the fence and got knocked up - nor why someone would pay to for a chip - until she got lost while chasing a squirrel - or why it made sense to get a license - until animal control picked up the lost dog, couldn't locate the owner, then charged an even bigger fine to get the dog back.

This stuff seems obvious, but apparently not to everyone.
But why would they have the OP pay for the friend's pet license? The OP stated that the friend doesn't even live in King County and he never said friend doesn't have one set up. Is it King County's stance that even visitors must get licenses for their dogs?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:15 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,526 times
This happened to my aunt in MI a few months back....someone knocked on her door and demanded that she pay to license her animals. Since she has 4 dogs, this is very expensive!

I never licensed my dog when I owned one. Apparently you're supposed to license cats, too?

Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
But why would they have the OP pay for the friend's pet license? The OP stated that the friend doesn't even live in King County and he never said friend doesn't have one set up. Is it King County's stance that even visitors must get licenses for their dogs?
Because the house belongs to the OP, the dog is in the house, and aside from the observed "possession of an unlicensed dog" the county worker doesn't have much else to go on. I still think the reason the worker came by is because they had a dog complaint at a house that doesn't have a dog license. It seems kind of labor intensive to send workers around to check on every house with a lapsed license unless someone reports it.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
If the dog has a license in another county, it would be very easy to have just showed to to the person at the door.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
This happened to my aunt in MI a few months back....someone knocked on her door and demanded that she pay to license her animals. Since she has 4 dogs, this is very expensive!

I never licensed my dog when I owned one. Apparently you're supposed to license cats, too?
Do you brand them with the initials of your ranch to establish ownership?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area