Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 PM

338 posts, read 846,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I have had to contest an assessment before because I had a small house in a neighborhood of much more expensive, larger houses and they decreased it by about 10%. Oddly enough the new value they assessed it at was just about what I ended up selling it for a few months later :-)
We're seeing that as well. We paid $300K for our condo 2 years ago. Our neighbor next door (same condos) just sold her unit for $350K. Hers has fewer upgrades/remodeling than ours. Yet Seattle tax folks have us paying taxes with a total appraisal value of $274K. ?? That's way too low. Her value was that low as well, yet she had no trouble selling at $350K. They had multiple offers and a bidding war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 10:38 AM

6,031 posts, read 6,105,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think you will fit in, most people are not huge into politics and won't care about your religion or your guns. i am not one big liberal but i still have many friends who are very hardcore liberals and we all get along just fine... the "real world" is nothing like these internet forums where people are quick to judge you because of your political beliefs.
One of the smartest, most-pleasant (good-hearted) guys I know is pretty far Left. I want little, if-anything, to do with that. We have conversations that are a bit far apart, but I listen. So does he. He's a fine debater; I'm not bad at that, either. We hang out based on a couple common interests, as guys do. He's rather Libertarian in his firearms views, which I like, that being one of the common interests.

Otherwise I really don't care how he votes. I'm sure he doesn't care how I do, either. To this point (quoted).

He moved back to San Diego or San Jose a couple years ago, and is missed, because he paid a lot of taxes and stimulated the local Seattle economy, same as me, via use of goods and services. That's really all I care about.

OP will be just fine here, if (she, he) is a professional and simply makes an effort to be part of the community. Sounds like that's the plan, based on thread responses.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:20 PM

84 posts, read 141,893 times
One great thing about living in a county with over 2 million people is you will find people with similar interests. In year that I have lived over here I have met hunters, vegans, gun lovers, gun control advocates, multiple religions, conservatives, liberals, and countless other labels. I would recommend living as close to the school where your children will attend. That way your not spending too much time driving. As for guns, I recommend becoming a member at the nearest shooting range. I think your family will like it up here.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:03 AM

11 posts, read 17,601 times
Thank you everyone! Love reading all the comments/advice. Just to make this clear, we don't dislike liberals or anything. My best friend since 9th grade is a huge liberal. We debate, talk. See eachother's views and mindset. We agree to disagree or agree to meet somewhere in the middle once we talk it out. No matter what, we're still great friends. Half my friends here in so cal are liberals and I love them all and would protect any of them. We understand each other. But people that are not our friends and are liberals here, they are quick to call us names, judge us, be aggressive and so on. But besides all that, just tired of being here and we know we can find a better place for our kids. Again, we already have jobs lined up in Seattle area. Looking forward to our move and meeting s variety of people!

Old 09-18-2014, 07:25 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,874,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieVik View Post
Thank you everyone! Love reading all the comments/advice. Just to make this clear, we don't dislike liberals or anything. My best friend since 9th grade is a huge liberal. We debate, talk. See eachother's views and mindset. We agree to disagree or agree to meet somewhere in the middle once we talk it out. No matter what, we're still great friends. Half my friends here in so cal are liberals and I love them all and would protect any of them. We understand each other. But people that are not our friends and are liberals here, they are quick to call us names, judge us, be aggressive and so on. But besides all that, just tired of being here and we know we can find a better place for our kids. Again, we already have jobs lined up in Seattle area. Looking forward to our move and meeting s variety of people!
Your original question was where to live? But, I never saw where you specified housing budget ... that will be a big determinant in where you should live.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:37 PM

6,978 posts, read 4,836,460 times
If you are planning to move to Kitsap County and do a commute to Seattle by ferry, I'd discourage that. The ferries are expensive, particularly if you bring a car over, and to park a car in Seattle will bankrupt you. Plus, it's an hour commute on the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle each way. That doesn't include the time to get to the ferry, waiting in line to get on the ferry, and the time spent driving from the ferry to where ever you are going in Seattle. If you can walk from the ferry to your job in Seattle, the mitigates the cost and time somewhat, but commuting on the ferry is NOT fun in any sense. I'd almost rather sit in a car commute.

Having said that, here in Kitsap and Mason counties there is still a lot of undeveloped land left, from 1 acre all the way up to 20 acres (you have to put in a well and septic though) and a shooting club, if the powers that be leave it alone to operate. But the commute will still be hell. I bought and put a small manufactured house on a half acre beautiful view lot for only $85,000 11 years ago, but with public transportation to and from outside Belfair in Mason county, it took me 3 hours each way to commute to downtown to Seattle via bus, ferry, and bus.

By the way, Bremerton is a much poorer city than the surrounding towns like Silverdale, Poulsbo, or Bainbridge Island, and it isn't as conservative as you might think. Christian? Possibly. I'm not religious myself, so I really wouldn't know. But if folks are Christian and conservative, or liberal here, they are also fairly tolerant. I never felt either out of place or criticized for my views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area