Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:43 AM

100 posts, read 130,143 times

Advertisements

City Employment - City of Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 12:25 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
I believe that your education will also be appreciated here...it will help when you apply for jobs, etc.

Good luck with the move.

Old 09-27-2014, 01:45 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acm122 View Post

2. Your odds of getting a job here are fairly good. The economy is booming, and has been for the last few years. I see a lot of help wanted ads in a lot of store windows as well, which is always a good sign. Having an a college education is almost a requirement here, even for relatively low skill jobs.

I think this needs to be addressed. Odds of getting a job are good, but a career is questionable. I work as a business analyst for a firm and I am a CPA with prior experience and such, and even then it was a struggle to get into anything. I work remote and moved back home away from Seattle, but I have properties there and go back-and-forth often. Many employed in this area now are settling for contract work and jobs far below what their education and/or experience may provide them in places with much stronger economies (Texas, the Dakotas, etc), I know the Seattle Defense Force is going to be alerted to my post and come in here posting nonsense from the web with all sorts of numbers and claim my post is "anecdotal," but let me just put it this way; many "entry-level" jobs here will require AT LEAST a BA/BS, and possible MA/MS with 5+ years of experience for you just to be a contender for an interview, and also keep in mind you will be competing with those who have degrees in fields like engineering, computer science, accounting, and MBA's just for entry-level jobs in ANY field (lots of EXTREMELY qualified people came out of the Dot-Com bust that pummeled the Seattle area, and they have bills to pay). Bottom-line: the Seattle job market is HIGHLY competitive and extremely over-saturated with degrees, I suspect it has to be among the worst big cities for people just getting out of college to find a job in, regardless of what the internet might say. Most everyone I knew had to move away from this area after college to find work, and they studied things like computer science and engineering. Hell, most couldn't even get looked at for UNPAID internships without being in a MA/MS program in one of those fields.

I don't do city-to-city analysis or anything like that, but here is a group of statisticians and economists at my company who provides detailed analyses and metrics for large publications and companies for things like economic/job forecasting and they love to call Seattle a chronically "underemployed" city. Sure, the unemployment numbers are low and it all looks good on the surface, but plenty are struggling and it's certainly not the land of opportunity some make it out to be, so it's best to have all your ducks in a row before making the move just for a change of pace. $10k won't last long here.

Last edited by thatguy950; 09-27-2014 at 01:59 AM..

Old 09-27-2014, 01:15 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,079,886 times
As a former Seattle-area public-sector worker (small city administration, mainly) I think Tacoma would be a pretty good choice. In addition to the City of Tacoma itself, there are numerous small cities in Pierce County, many of them very small, that could use professional help. In addition, Pierce County itself is a big employer, and if you were interested in State government, Olympia is a much easier commute from Tacoma than Seattle is.

I would also look at the nonprofit sector, which also offers many positions where MPA-type skills could be useful. It would help, for example, if you were fluent in financial management/budgeting etc. areas, as nonprofits often use fund-based accounting vs. more conventional corporate styles.

The cost of living in Pierce County is way lower than in Seattle/King County, and access to many wonderful areas - the Olympic and Kitsap Peninsulas, Mount Rainier, the coast, the many islands in south Puget Sound (largely ignored by tourists, for reasons that escape me) - is easier from Tacoma than from Seattle.

Tacoma has a bustling arts sector, some marvelous, funky neighborhoods, a branch of the University of Washington, very good public transit (including trains and buses to Seattle) and in general flies way too far below the radar than it deserves. Downtown Seattle is 40 min. away using the HOV lanes, easy for theater or sports events, nights out, whatever.

If you're interested in the public sector, it will behoove you to study up on Washington state law regarding local government, finance and taxation policy, and all that. It's easily done on-line. Don't under-estimate the competition for jobs - it's a popular area, as your own inquiry shows. But it's doable, trust me.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:16 PM

236 posts, read 289,410 times
I think 2 young married people (one with an advanced degree) with no children have a good shot at making it here. It is much easier to get started on a career at that stage in your life than later. Personally, it is really hard to put in the long hours I'd like now that I have kids and have to worry about childcare and school schedules.

Cost of living is high here...but so is the quality of life

Old 02-05-2015, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 7,842 times
Thanks for the great advice, everyone. My husband and I will be moving to Seattle in May, and we'll actually have around $15,000 saved. We're trying to decide whether we should find an apartment or stay in a hotel until we find work. I've found a few hotels with monthly rates, but I'm not sure this is the best option. Can anyone offer any insight?

Old 02-05-2015, 09:45 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devonkay View Post
Thanks for the great advice, everyone. My husband and I will be moving to Seattle in May, and we'll actually have around $15,000 saved. We're trying to decide whether we should find an apartment or stay in a hotel until we find work. I've found a few hotels with monthly rates, but I'm not sure this is the best option. Can anyone offer any insight?
If I were in your shoes I would become a minimalist and carry the least amount of stuff with me. Minimize your risks. Bring no valuables and look for the cheapest place available. You can always find a ton of free stuff from the Buy Nothing Project on facebook (if you don't know what that is, it's definitely worth looking into), Freecycle or Craig's List once you get here. Temporary might be good until you get your jobs and see where in the city that puts you.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM

735 posts, read 871,340 times
First off, congrats on saving the money! I read an article that said most families do not even have a $2K emergency fund.

You are in a good position for the move, you have an advanced degree, a cushion fund and motivation for the move. I would spend as much time as possible applying for jobs as that will be your limiting factor on where you want to move. Though any place in the Pacific Northwest will be better then Miss., hate to be another hater, but I've spent a little time there.

I would not recommend a hotel. The photos will always look better then the actual room/property, those walls are usually really thin and no real kitchen, means higher food costs. Instead look to Craig's List, AirBnB, VRBO, you might be able to find a great deal if you email around. Judging by your savings, you might be frugal enough to want to look into a roommate situation, just till you land a job and know where you want to move.

This is one of the most educated regions in the country, so make sure your resume and cover letter is sharp. Come Nov. and Dec., when we are at gloomiest, just remember all the stuff you left behind, like the heat, the humidity, the bugs! Instead of focusing on the low clouds and short days, hop a ferry, or go for a hike even if it's a drizzly weekend. We rarely get the down pours the South gets and a warm shower and fresh clothes after you get wet are an awesome reward.

As I tell people when I drag them outside, "you maybe sweet, but you ain't made out of sugar. You're not going to melt away with a little water."

They [almost] always have fun and it goes a long way on making them forget the short days.

Again, congrats on the big move and welcome to the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Old 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
In the short term, you may want to look at apodments. Not ideal for long term living, but flexible and economical.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
I network at a church or senior center to get temporary digs, or house-sit / stay in Hospitality guest homes ($10 / night worldwide)

Hospitality exchange - Wikitravel

I recommend NOT considering staying in Tacoma (one of your original thoughts)

If you are SEATTLE bound... find a place there. One of my kids had a superb daylight basement apartment (1000SF) in Fremont for $800/ month. SIL had a similar apartment in a senior's house for $300/ month (she helped with cleaning 1 morning / wk). She had a nice view overlooking the Sound and Olympic Range. The seniors traveled a lot, so she had the place to herself much of the time. (she fed the dog and watered the plants)

Gotta dig / be creative, but nice and affordable places are out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area