Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:08 PM

37 posts, read 71,250 times

Advertisements

Something I've noticed while driving on the roads of Seattle is that bus drivers constantly cut people off to change lanes or to get back onto the road after making a stop. Yesterday it actually happened to me, one of the double long buses on Greenwood Ave cut me off when trying to get back on the road after making a stop. This was from a redlight and I clearly have the right of way. He or she actually had the audacity to honk at me as well (I honked back). Luckily I stopped or the driver would have torn up the right side of my car. Anyone else have the same experience. I tried taking a picture of the bus' tag put the picture didnt come out correctly. I'm thinking about getting a dash camera because of this situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 09:34 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I drove for Metro in Seattle for about 11 years.

My opinion is, many drivers definition of a bus driver "cutting them off" is when the bus driver TRIES to legally and safely change lanes....and the other driver stomps on the gas to cut the bus off...and they fail.

YES, sometimes I did cut people off.....but most of the time it was the other driver being a total bu77head when I was attempting to safely change lanes.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:44 PM

84 posts, read 142,534 times
Vehicles are required to yield to buses.

SDOT Blog » Let Buses Go First

Old 09-21-2014, 10:30 PM

318 posts, read 628,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAIDOR View Post
Vehicles are required to yield to buses.

SDOT Blog » Let Buses Go First
Quite right. Auto drivers are required to yield to buses that are pulling back into traffic. The problem is that most drivers don't know that and don't want to yield to a bus. What's amusing to me is that someone in a car would argue the point with a big bus.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:40 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
It happens. Buses pull out into traffic in situations where a private vehicle would yield. The main issue I have is once you're NEXT to the bus, the same side lights are flashing that flash when the bus is picking up passengers, so once you're past the rear it's impossible to tell if they're signaling to merge. This could easily be fixed by making the side lights different for merging vs pickup.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:33 AM

318 posts, read 628,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
It happens. Buses pull out into traffic in situations where a private vehicle would yield. The main issue I have is once you're NEXT to the bus, the same side lights are flashing that flash when the bus is picking up passengers, so once you're past the rear it's impossible to tell if they're signaling to merge. This could easily be fixed by making the side lights different for merging vs pickup.
Some drivers find all kinds of reasons and excuses for ignoring it, but the law says you have to yield the right of way to a bus merging into traffic, period. $124 fine.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:05 AM

338 posts, read 847,787 times
I have no problem yielding to buses.

However, I take great issue with the cr@phead bus drivers on Denny who consistently floor it on a yellow light and get stuck with 3/4 of their bus in the intersection where they continue to block track for 1-3 light cycles during rush hour.
Or those that honk at me for not making a right on a green light when there are obvious PEDESTRIANS crossing and I can't go. Honking doesn't make them walk faster, jerk. And I'm not going to hit them so you can meet your schedule. Kiss off.

Sorry, but the bus drivers around here by and large, aren't doing any better driving wise than the auto drivers.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:17 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
It's legally impossible for the vehicle with right-of-way to cut off the vehicle without it.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:50 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
The bus drivers here are crazy. I saw a bus run a red light. All the driving in Seattle is pretty frustrating and baffling, actually. It's one of the very few negatives for me.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:46 PM

195 posts, read 377,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh1 View Post
Something I've noticed while driving on the roads of Seattle is that bus drivers constantly cut people off to change lanes or to get back onto the road after making a stop. Yesterday it actually happened to me, one of the double long buses on Greenwood Ave cut me off when trying to get back on the road after making a stop. This was from a redlight and I clearly have the right of way. He or she actually had the audacity to honk at me as well (I honked back). Luckily I stopped or the driver would have torn up the right side of my car. Anyone else have the same experience. I tried taking a picture of the bus' tag put the picture didnt come out correctly. I'm thinking about getting a dash camera because of this situation.
In three years taking the bus from Woodinville to downtown there were *far* more cases of cars cutting off buses than the other way around. Sometimes in extremely dangerous ways
- multiple times downtown a car in the middle lane would race off , move to the right *directly in front of an already moving bus* and then slam on the brakes and make a right turn!! Insane. How the bus never hit any of them I dont know -- at least once a month
- Same thing as above but cutting into a left-turn on a 1-way street
- people pulling moving left from the left lane of the freeway from a stopped position into the carpool lane when the bus is going 55 ...

I'm amazed I wasn't in a single collision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area