Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree on any of these items
Issue #1: Racism 1 5.88%
Issue #2: Section 8 system 1 5.88%
Issue #3: Downtown is dirty 7 41.18%
All of the Above 2 11.76%
I don't see any of these as an issue because I'm ignorant. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 06:52 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrider434 View Post
yea downtown Seattle has always been a fav of mine....but it has gotten more rougher, and wilder and dirtier.....plus the traffic anywhere in the PNW is a nightmare, and the dating scene for single men sucks.....and the home prices are sickening.....other then that, still the best city in the USA I think
I dont think downtown as a whole has goten dirtier but as nightlife has moved to SLU, Capital Hill, Ballard, etc, alot of the focus in areas in downtown have gotten neglected. I think as the new waterfront comes up, downtown itself will improve as more nightlife and entertain meant will come and bring people into the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 06:53 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
True, but I think the issue for Seattle is, they managed to spread enough of it around so that there is a rare good area in this metro area. I mean, 9/10 you dont have to worry about much in downtown Bellevue, downtown Seattle is much, much, much worse. All of south Seattle is a nightmare. Much of north Seattle (lake city, bitter lake) have high crime...so where is there thats nice to live?
Oh geez. Complaining this much about Seattle? It's one of the safest, clean metros that I've ever been to. Can you name a major metro that does not have a problem with homeless? Hell, the problem is even worse here in Sacramento, which is a midsize metro. Southside Chicago is a "nightmare". But Seattle?....Cmon man. Maybe you are better suited for country life.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:08 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhichWayDoIGo View Post
Sensationalism and political correctness.

People or groups believed to be of a lower status in society are given passes by leftist media, which a lot of mainstream media has become. The other side of the spectrum, for example, would be Fox News. Minorities or those of a lower status certainly don't get any special treatment over there. However, news outlets like Fox are being marginalized by 'mainstream' society because right-wing conservative views are gradually becoming more 'dated'(Translation: You can have whatever views you like, but you can't go public w/ them if they will offend groups of lower status in society).

In any case, news outlets will report sensationalist stories and often entitle them in a way to attract readers.

"Black man killed by white cop.", is more likely to draw attention than "Man killed by cop."

"Kobe Bryant allegedly rapes (white) woman." has a lot more pop than even "Ben Roethlisberger allegedly rapes second (white) woman."

They are playing on the ages old racial and cultural divide in our country. To be frank, it works every time. Of course, that's why they do it.

Recently, it was revealed this white actor from 'Twilight' was dating a black female, and he expressed shock at all of the backlash he received because of that.

Do you think the media outlets who reported who he was dating didn't know what they were doing?

The media play us all emotionally like puppets. I consider myself to be more objective and impartial than the average person, but I am human.

Keep in mind, we all benefit from it, but very few things can arouse tensions like stories where there is a black victim and a white offender, or vice versa, for others who "must" steam in relative silence. If you are a part of the aforementioned group who holds supreme status in this country, you don't get the same sympathy for insensitive remarks made about your group. But, they are protected and positioned in ways that groups of 'lower status' haven't been, and quite possibly never will be. So, the general consensus is 'Suck it up!"
I think Kobe's story had more "pop" because he actually went on trial. Roethlisberger was never even charged with a crime. Had nothing to do with race...uhg post #2.

And people do not respect Fox news because it became a joke - period. It's basically a right wing talk show; not a news station. That is fine but for the fact that they attempt to pass it off as unbiased reporting. At least the left wing talk shows are upfront about what they are. I can still remember Fox announcing the Tea Party gathering dates everywhere when no orher station was, promoting it as some type of "grass roots" movement. Lol what a crock of ---. If you consider popular media as left leaning, it is probably because stations like CNN are not afraid to employ an openly gay anchor while Fox News wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole. Why? Because the old right wing views ARE dated, and they do not reflect the culteral makeup of our society. This however, is not a product of left wing media lol. It's just the way the world is in 2014.

For a pull yourselves up by the bootstraps crowd, conservatives always seem to be looking for someone or something to blame.

Last edited by sacite; 10-14-2014 at 07:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: