Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 04:38 PM

141 posts, read 237,698 times

Advertisements

So I'm a while from having to worry about this, but there's good and bad in terms of Kent schools rated via greatschools.org.

I have heard and read that if the school assigned to you is terrible or your child does not like it that you can apply for a different school within your district, as long as there is space available.

Does anyone know if this is true? The assigned school near me is a 4/10. I have a friend who's kids go there and he says it's fine. The scores are primarily brought down by the number of ESL students in the school.

After moving from Bellevue with a lot of 9 or 10/10 schools a 4 seems terrible. I was well aware of the assigned school when I moved so I can't complain now.. Just wondering if I do in fact have choices when the time comes??? Of course I know private is an option, too. Or I could just move back to Bellevue. LOL. (that's a joke... I moved from there because it is getting way too expensive to buy a house there now!)

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 11:04 AM

Anyone?!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,384 times
since no one else is replying...my quick thoughts and opinions.

most school districts allow this. however, the order of priority goes something like this:

1) students who have been attending the school but moved to another area of the same school district but different school assignment (so that these kids can still go to school with their friends). - usually not a problem

2) students who have siblings under #1 - usually not a problem

3) outside students who are in the same school district but assigned to a different school - might get lucky

4) outside students who are in another school district but used to go to this school - usually no space at this point

5) outside students who are in another school district - dream on, usually no space at this point

RVD.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Maybe most of us C-D Seattle "regulars" with kids took the safe and easy route and kept to the "good" schools and can't give advice about Kent?

Old 10-10-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Maybe most of us C-D Seattle "regulars" with kids took the safe and easy route and kept to the "good" schools and can't give advice about Kent?
Must be nice to have that option....

Old 10-10-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
since no one else is replying...my quick thoughts and opinions.

most school districts allow this. however, the order of priority goes something like this:

1) students who have been attending the school but moved to another area of the same school district but different school assignment (so that these kids can still go to school with their friends). - usually not a problem

2) students who have siblings under #1 - usually not a problem

3) outside students who are in the same school district but assigned to a different school - might get lucky

4) outside students who are in another school district but used to go to this school - usually no space at this point

5) outside students who are in another school district - dream on, usually no space at this point

RVD.
Good to know! Thanks for responding

I hear stories of people renting apartments in Bellevue, etc... just to get their kids into those districts. Seems extreme!!

Old 10-11-2014, 09:48 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovekotatsu View Post
Must be nice to have that option....
You have a couple of years to figure out what you're going to do. You could always rent out the house in Kent and rent an apartment in an area with better schools IF you are really concerned about the quality of schools.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:38 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
People over blow the Kent and Southside schools. No these schools are not bellevue but you can still get a quality education. I graduated from the Federal Way PS but I had cousins and friends that graduated from Kent. My opinion is Elementary and Middle Schools usually dont differ too much depend were you are at. KM has the IB program it's just in a not so nice part of town. But the school is very diverse and a good experience. Kentwood and Kentridge are sold schools, both have robot programs and alot of opportunities for your child academically, culturally, and athletically. Honestly I think the Bellevue schools are overrated. I'm in college now and met alot of graduates from the Bellevue SD whom didn't enjoy their HS experience. They thought the Schools were overly competitive for a public school, lack of diversity, and didn't allow them to be themselves. If it weren't for all the money in those school districts, they would never be able to have all the programs and academic opportunities that they offer. Kent is a typically school district which can allow your child to have a diverse experience. As long as you stay directly involved in your child's education they should be fine! I just don't understand the southside school bashing sometimes, You everyone can live in a neighborhood were the per capita income is 6-figures.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:05 PM

84 posts, read 142,514 times
I found this, down at the bottom it talks about transferring in district.

Student Transfers / Student Transfer Process 2014-2015

Also look to see if losing the state's No Child Left Behind Waiver will provide transfer options. It did at my son's school.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:11 PM

271 posts, read 426,917 times
last year my kids went to a 6/10 elementary school when we moved from CA to WA. I was very concerned but they had a GREAT year. teachers and staff were so caring (which at that age is one of the most important things). now i'm in redmond and while their school here is a 9/10, i do miss their school from last year. It's different (MUCH more parental involvement here, lots more extracurricular activities and social events) but i think for elementary, a low rated school is OK as long as the teachers are good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area