Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 11:21 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times

Advertisements

Seattle is definitely the "snobbiest" place that I have ever lived. No doubt about it. The snobbery really doesn't bother me all that much. The snobbiest people here tend to be hipsters overly obsessed with fitting that stereotype, REI yuppies, or bleeding heart liberal elitist types. What really bothers me is that enormous materialistic, superficial, and closed mindedness of people here which was a total shock to me (people in the more liberal places I have lived seem to have had a more open-minded, friendly, and anti-materialism/anti-superficaility vibe). I'd even go as far as to say that people in the more podunk, backwoods, redneck, conservative type places were light years ahead of people here in terms of open-mindedness, acceptance and getting to really know one another. Dont get me wrong, Ive met some cool people here, but for the most part the awful people are one of the absolute worst aspects about living here.

Last edited by Interpol76; 11-04-2014 at 11:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Not Microsoft. Plenty of my co-workers didn't have a degree at all. There are some positions for which it is required, but not the majority. You will often see a requirement for a bachelors or equivalent experience. If you could prove you had the knowledge to do the job - then you could get hired to do it. They pay for results, not pretty pieces of paper. I know engineers at Amazon and Google without degrees as well.
I have never worked at MSFT so I can't speak for them but it is very well the exception rather than the norm at Amazon and Google to find full time employees who don't have a college degree. In fact, I'd say that at Google, most engineers have a graduate degree (masters or PhD) so even a 4 year undergrad degree is more like a minimum. And yes, most of these degrees are from top schools (of which none are within a 700 radius of here). But I have always worked in engineering so other areas in these companies might be different. In fact, I cannot think of a single engineer on any of my teams in these 2 companies who did not have a college degree (although there were many at other smaller companies in the past).

But of course if you are an exceptional person who is very smart, you definitely can get a job and can succeed without a college degree. I don't think anyone is saying that a person cannot succeed. It's just that the odds and your path will be much more open for you if you get a 4 year college degree.

That's all...

Old 11-05-2014, 06:39 AM

163 posts, read 269,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Seattle is definitely the "snobbiest" place that I have ever lived. No doubt about it. The snobbery really doesn't bother me all that much. The snobbiest people here tend to be hipsters overly obsessed with fitting that stereotype, REI yuppies, or bleeding heart liberal elitist types. What really bothers me is that enormous materialistic, superficial, and closed mindedness of people here which was a total shock to me (people in the more liberal places I have lived seem to have had a more open-minded, friendly, and anti-materialism/anti-superficaility vibe). I'd even go as far as to say that people in the more podunk, backwoods, redneck, conservative type places were light years ahead of people here in terms of open-mindedness, acceptance and getting to really know one another. Dont get me wrong, Ive met some cool people here, but for the most part the awful people are one of the absolute worst aspects about living here.

"REI yuppies". I love people like you. Categorizing everyone who shops at REI meanwhile calling everyone snobs. You're the real problem, did you know that?

How do you judge people because they stop at REI or anywhere for that matter. I'm a backpacker/hiker and Rei is easily the best place to shop for outdoor gear. Should I stop so I don't fall into your judge mental category of "Rei yuppie"? Of course not. I'm not anywhere near a regular seattle person but I happen to shop there a lot.

Have fun going through life labeling and judging people like that. You kinda remind me of a typical seattlelite ironically.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:25 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
But, in Seattle you can just go ape-poop rooting for this particular NFL team that is kinda struggling right now. And have "just" an Associates Degree, drive a Kia not a BMW, and choose not to eat granola. Unless you want to. And go hiking at Big Four Mountain and Lake 22 on the side of Mt. Pilchuck.

I think it's all within the realm of possibility. Living in Wenatchee or Moses Lake, though, not Seattle. And descending in on Seattle for Tragically Hip concerts. If I could persuade those Canadians ta head to Seattle during their 2015 tour, that is.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,433,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlephil View Post
"REI yuppies". I love people like you. Categorizing everyone who shops at REI meanwhile calling everyone snobs. You're the real problem, did you know that?

How do you judge people because they stop at REI or anywhere for that matter. I'm a backpacker/hiker and Rei is easily the best place to shop for outdoor gear. Should I stop so I don't fall into your judge mental category of "Rei yuppie"? Of course not. I'm not anywhere near a regular seattle person but I happen to shop there a lot.

Have fun going through life labeling and judging people like that. You kinda remind me of a typical seattlelite ironically.
The OP asked for a generalization and I provided one. I clearly stated that these stereotypes are not true of everyone ("The worst offenders TEND to be"). What can I say? Sorry, I touched a nerve there, North Face guy.

This brings to mind yet another thing that annoys me about Seattle. People here TEND to be Way too sensitive about things. Relax, people. Dont let some schmu(k tossing out generalizations about a topic about generalizations on the internet ruin your day.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:27 PM

163 posts, read 269,806 times
Quote:
The OP asked for a generalization and I provided one. I clearly stated that these stereotypes are not true of everyone ("The worst offenders TEND to be"). What can I say? Sorry, I touched a nerve there, North Face guy.

This brings to mind yet another thing that annoys me about Seattle. People here TEND to be Way too sensitive about things. Relax, people. Dont let some schmu(k tossing out generalizations about a topic about generalizations on the internet ruin your day.

Ruin my day? Lol. Far from it. Just pointing out that you are the perfect example of what the OP is talking about.

Anyone who walks around calling people yuppies and snobs usually has self esteem issues. Approach everyone with an open mind and you would be surprised to learn how often your stereotypes are way off. Plus, you keep yourself from being a douche bag.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:37 PM

23 posts, read 38,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delpiccione View Post
Oh, I am sorry to hear that! I very much understand what you mean. I too find a lot of comments on the internet pretty mean. I too am thinking if I should move back to Seattle, but wonder whether it is worth it or it's just "grass is greener on the other side".. Which state are you in? I'm in the Midwest! I'll spiritually support you
I'm in New Mexico right now, but I will be traveling soon for my business, so I won't be here much longer. At the end of the day, I think the only thing that matters is that you find somewhere that makes you truly happy. Thank you for your support and good luck with your decision!

Old 11-06-2014, 11:02 PM

190 posts, read 298,982 times
Quote:
Can you elaborate on what exactly these people say/do that make them appear to be snobs?
In my view, people shop at REI because they like hiking, etc., and they want good quality gear. Unless you're talking about teenagers, i don't see people looking down on you for having lesser quality outdoor gear.

As for liberal elitists, what makes them more snobbish or close-minded than conservative-minded elitists? If REI yuppies are nature loving tree-huggers, are they really more materialistic and superficial than those who would love to put more condos and strip malls?

Finally, just how bad are the "awful" people of Seattle? Are you being looked down on by these folks? Did you have a falling out with the Sierra Club? What gives?

Old 11-07-2014, 01:08 PM

588 posts, read 1,014,597 times
Move where you want to move. Snobs are everywhere. Ignore them. Non-snobs are also everywhere. I don't understand the people that need to judge everyone that's different from them. Strange way to go thru life, but whatever, moving on.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:49 AM

44 posts, read 54,056 times
I'm still new, from my experience I say there's a lot of polite folks here as well. A turn signal actually gets acknowledged by folks commuting with you. Yet, there's a handful that will cut you off. I know I'm off track but, my point is by the numbers you'll come across transplants like yourself and those who either grew up here or have twenty years on you. I think the ones here the longest, feel a sense of entitlement imho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area