U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 24,789 times

Advertisements

I am a single 26 year old, no children, no pets, who is used to living on a fairly conservative budget.

I currently live in Michigan, born and raised, and am looking at a job transfer for something new (i.e. something not involving 99% humidity and weather so cold you can't even salt the ice on the roads).

Current salary roughly $40G. If I transfer to Seattle, I anticipate a cost of living increase, but nothing more than a few percent.

The office I would move to is in Renton.

Can I afford Seattle? Or am I going to be pulling my hair out worried about money?

Any suggestions on where to live? (45 min commute max. The farther away from the city, the better.)

Thank you for any help! It is greatly appreciated!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,913 times
Default Raising Kids in NE Renton?

I'm from Victoria and considering a move to the Renton area. My husband may start work in downtown Seattle but I'm not crazy about living close to downtown with 2 young kids.
Anyone out there who can give advice also to affordability in Renton and commutes to Seattle and raising kids in that area?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,729 times
Default Renton or South of Seattle

I currently live in a little town close to Renton called Burien. I was attending The Art Institute of Seattle and decided to move closer to Seattle but couldn't afford to live in the city.

The commute from here is usually 30 to 40 minutes depending on traffic and taking hwy 509 to hwy 99 into the city. I found if I went on I-5 the commute was considerably more miserable especially the closer you get to Seattle.

The cost of living in the Renton area is about the same as Burien I think, though in my area you would want to stay away from White Center. I live in a really nice, fairly large 3 bedroom apartment and I'm paying $1160/mo. Renton or Kent would probably be about as far South of Seattle as you would want to go and still have a reasonable commute.

Depending upon where you would be working, the commuter train is always an option as it stops at King Street Station in Seattle. I used to take the train in to school when I lived in Sumner which is way far South in Pierce County.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:05 PM

86 posts, read 381,983 times
From Victoria!
Well there are so many options for you..

Your husband will work in Seattle and you can still live south or north of the city. Check the Sounder train schedules and stations and then look at neighborhoods with easy access to the train stations. That will be better than the car commute on I-5 to Seattle. Going East is another option but I don't think the commute is any easier. My sister used to live in Bellevue and hated the drive so she moved closer to the city. She lives now in West Seattle.

My folks also made a move to West Seattle to a new community there. And the drive to downtown Seattle is really good. They live in the High Point Community. They bought a three level townhome, really nice and with adequate space. I visited in October and loved the areas of their new neighborhood. I saw many children about there. It is also very Diverse.

I bought in North Tacoma in 2004. The west end really close to Point Defiance is a nice area. It is also close to downtown Tacoma where your husband could take the Sounder Train to downtown Seattle. You could buy a nice and larger place for less there than you would in King County. There is also a little place nestled in there called Ruston. Check it out.

Or check out places where your husband could make the commute via ferry...you may find some nice areas to live at.
Well that is all for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area