Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:37 PM

263 posts, read 1,075,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olynative View Post
My wife and I will be moving to Seattle(from Lynnwood, so not that big of a change) and White Center, Burien area is an area we are considering. I have been in the area several times and I still can't understand why people call it "guetto". The only conclusion I can come to is that people should make up their own opinions........I have talked to many people(Seattle area natives, lived here most of their life) about this area and most of them will say that it is guetto. Then when you ask the people who say it's guetto if they've ever been to the area, nine out of ten will say "no" and usually proceed to tell you that the entire south end of seattle is guetto and never go there......This seems to be the general consensus of most people living on the north end of seattle, not everyone, but a good portion. Here's an example of how ignorant some people can be:
I told one person that I grew up in Olympia and I really like it because it's a nice place etc. etc. and the very first thing out of his mouth was "Olympia, isn't it a little dark down there for you?" I had no Idea what the hell he was talking about(turns out, he was refering to the amount of ethnic people in the area) and that he thought it was guetto because he assumed that Olympia was a suburb of Tacoma and it must be crime ridden hahahahha.(for people unfamiliar with WA, Olympia is unfortunately very un-diverse and is seperated from Tacoma by a 20mi stretch of Military base) I'm rambling, but my point is that people should do more research and actually know what they are talking about before they open their mouths. So, if you are considering an area, then go there and see how YOU like it.
I've been there....

I lived IN white center/Burien for oh, say, 3 weeks. When I first moved to Seattle I didn't know what areas were good, and I thought $800 a month for a one bedroom would not be that bad of an area. Coming from Arizona I can get a lot more bang for my buck. I signed a 3 month lease (in case the area wasn't good) but only lived there for about 3 weeks as I quickly fled the scene to Bellevue (residents there actually go to a job every day) and paid double rent for a couple in doing so. It was really bad I thought. I was calling my family joking that I had to sleep in the bathtub so as to avoid the stray bullets. I thought there were some decent areas and I loved the location near Seattle and all, but man, there were just too many bad pockets of 'resistance'. I'd go to work and people were on their front porch. I'd come home and they'd still be there on their porch!!! Often the roads didn't even have sidewalks... and people were just doing nothing but screwing around by gastations drinking their 40's. It's nothing compared to places in El Paso, Dallas, or even Phoenix that I've seen, but it's not somewhere I'd live and absolutely not somewhere I'd bring a kid to.

Seriously, I had people sitting on my car and put a dent in the hood...bunch of hoodlums (pun intended). Someone in the parking lot ran into my car leaving red paint on it. Mine is black, so it stuck out just wonderfully. Worst, I think someone stole a suitcase from me that had some rare valuables in it...it may not be that apartment, but I think i twas as I went out of the country for a few weeks and the management knew that. Okay, worse than worst I think someone tried to siphone my gas tank. I have one of those eltric ones....can only be opened from inside the car. Fingerprints all over my gas tank lid were the evidence. I told this to a co-worker and thye said they broke down there once and someone did the same to them as they left their car in a parking lot over night.

Again, i'm just tellig my experience and opinin that I do not like it... I did see some decent communites there, but just too many surrounding bad ones for my liking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 05:34 PM

29 posts, read 104,670 times
Hey, haven't been on this site in a while......... I would just like to say that my wife and I recently bought a house in Burien(north burien, near blvd park, just east of white center) and are loving it. We have super easy access to downtown Seattle and the neighborhood is really pretty cool. It seems that people are very welcoming and laid back. There are also a lot of improvements going on here. We're very happy with our decision.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,226,083 times
Olynative,
Now you need to get a dog. There's a good dog park near you at 8th and Cloverdale just north of White Center, and the Salvadorean Bakery in White Center is a little too good.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 PM

29 posts, read 104,670 times
Ira, we have just adopted an american bulldog from the shelter so we're going to have to check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:10 PM

1 posts, read 774 times
I have lived in White Center for 25 years and I love my little neighborhood..(north of Roxbury and west of 16th SW) it is quiet and family orientated...lots of kids and young families. Easy access to town and shopping close by. I will say that when I first moved here with my young daughter (at the time) it was like the "Wild West" over in the White Center "town" area but the neighborhoods were quite safe. I could sleep with the windows open back then. Now I really can't but I do not know of any area where you would. Just sayin...I love it here.

Billie Jean

Last edited by Billie Jean Randolph; 12-14-2011 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: do not want my last name on this

Old 12-15-2011, 09:38 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,882,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Yes, White Center is rough... It's not an incorporated city as such, I think, which is why you can't find listings. It's part of West Seattle, which is also not incorporated as such so it's all listed under Seattle.
I suppose White Center might be considered part of "West Seattle" - at least the area around 16th and Roxbury - but West Seattle is part of the city of Seattle - it is not an unincorporated area. White Center is the unincorporated county area south of SW Roxbury sT. and east of 28th Ave SW. Since this is a built up urban area the boundaries are not clear and I agree some parts of West Seattle and White center could overlap.

Also - real estate listings can be found for West Seattle or White Center - or Boulevard Park also. Seattle is defined by it's neighborhoods - I wouldn't trust any real estate listing that said a property was "in Seattle" without naming the area (Greenwood, Fremont, Rainier Valley, Ballard, West seattle etc..).

Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,226,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I suppose White Center might be considered part of "West Seattle" - at least the area around 16th and Roxbury - but West Seattle is part of the city of Seattle - it is not an unincorporated area. White Center is the unincorporated county area south of SW Roxbury sT. and east of 28th Ave SW. Since this is a built up urban area the boundaries are not clear and I agree some parts of West Seattle and White center could overlap.

Also - real estate listings can be found for West Seattle or White Center - or Boulevard Park also. Seattle is defined by it's neighborhoods - I wouldn't trust any real estate listing that said a property was "in Seattle" without naming the area (Greenwood, Fremont, Rainier Valley, Ballard, West seattle etc..).
Good catch. Another real estate agent trick is to say a house is in a neighboring, better neighborhood. Twenty years ago you never saw houses listed as being in the "Central District", even if they were. They were all Leschi or Madrona or even Capitol Hill.
West Seattle is a huge area. White Center technically is not part of West Seattle, but borders it. And the Seattle neighborhood immediately adjacent to White Center is Highland Park, which nobody's ever heard of. So highland Park residents usually say they either live in West Seattle or White Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area