Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:29 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,089,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogex View Post
I'm considering a job offer in Seattle, but I'm reluctant to move over the apparently high cost of living and weather. It seems like A LOT of people are moving to Seattle, and that native-born Seattlites are hard to come by, but if you are one, I'd love to hear what you think of the place.

Thank you!
Yes, I'm a transplant, and moved for economic reasons. Same as you. Tough luck, replying anyway.

So, the bias is about the economy: yep, it's grand lo this past decade and a half (closing on two decades), best life-move I've ever made other than undergrad and grad school decisions. Hands down.

The rest of it, quality of life and etc? Weather thread is on 4,500-something replies, though I submit first ten responses covered all the ground needed. Cost of living is surely punishing if you're buying or renting, do that math very carefully first. The "freeze" has 1,001 responses, each of which contradicts the next. Worthless.

This place is what you make of it, what skills you bring (social, and professional), and maintaining a positive attitude in the face of adversity. "Natives" will say God knows what; even in west Texas they sing lively and chipper songs about living in Hell on Earth (and loving it), after all, and speaking of "bias". May want to stick with transplant op/ed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 07:06 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,619,579 times
Not a native either but been here a couple of decades. We love it too. I saw on King5 news last night that Seattle was named best city to get a job. It was juxtaposed with a story on the ever increasing rents and the impact on those who have lived in the same place for years, focusing on one example where a guy was renting for $775. in 2008 and it was now going to be $1675. I thought the stories went well together, in that everyone seeing Seattle as a mecca should be aware that all this growth is impacting the cost of renting/purchasing housing. People should know that before moving here so they aren't surprised.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:11 AM

1,882 posts, read 2,062,494 times
You should see Ron Judd's front page article from this morning... If you weren’t born in Seattle or the Northwest, you’ll never be one of us | Pacific NW | The Seattle Times

Old 01-10-2015, 12:57 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,439,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Wellllll, third generation native here. I am not in love with my city, but that may be age related. When I was in my 20's I wanted to move somewhere bigger and busier. In my 30's I was content. In my 40's I want to move somewhere slower, cheaper, and sunnier. Kids may have contributed to that feeling too.

Until this last spring, I was crawling out of my skin because I wanted to leave so badly (married to someone who doesn't feel that way). However, we had just went through 3 years of some of the worst weather I've ever experienced here (cold, cold, cold and no sun - I mean not hitting the 70's until mid-July!) and I couldn't take it anymore. The good news is that the weather this year has been exceptional and it seems to have helped my mood, so I don't feel so desperate to leave. That being said, I would love to have a new adventure and explore other areas of the country that are hard to reach from here.

I feel like what used to make Seattle a nice place to be is being washed away by the hoards of newcomers. I'm not trying to say "go home", but I do feel like it's more of a younger person's place now and I don't belong here as much anymore. I Love the outdoors, but the traffic is so bad that I can't get to it anymore. I grew up when "going for a drive" was a fun activity and now I can't stand the idea of driving on our roads. I really miss driving. I love road trips, but not driving around here.

I also feel like the area has gotten much more snobby and lost it's sense of humor a little. But maybe that's just me. :-)

The cost of living issue is getting out of hand. Thank goodness I don't have to rent a place anymore, because I'm not sure what I'd do. And thank goodness I already own a home, because I know I wouldn't be able to buy one in my own neighborhood anymore. I do think it's a bummer that it's becoming a city that you can either afford to live in or not. That really limits the people that I'm exposed to, for better or for worse.

Sorry, this probably isn't what you're looking for. I do know tons of natives that love the cool rainy weather (I've always preferred hot) and are perfectly happy here (especially if they bought a house before property values skyrocketed). But I also know some natives that are being forced out of their long time neighborhood by construction and the cost of buying a new house. I'm watching so many of my kids friend's families sell their homes to contractors and move away (up north more or out of state).
Thats interesting. I think alot of young people are now staying here because how bustling the city is getting. I think a change of scenery would have been good to break up the mundane. Then in a few years decide whether you were happy in your new location or started to miss home. I think everyone needs that the fully appreciate what makes home home even if they enjoy being somewhere else!

Old 01-10-2015, 01:40 PM

737 posts, read 1,456,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post

Great article. Can't wait to move to the Northwest

Old 01-10-2015, 01:44 PM

905 posts, read 1,095,046 times
A rare, remaining native here! (Well, born in the city, raised in the 'burbs, currently living in city limits).

There's obviously enough that I do like about the Seattle area to have remained for my life thus far. In particular, it's a big enough city to feel fairly vibrant, without being overwhelming. The natural settings/scenery cannot be beat IMHO either (I never get tired of the sound and mountain views - Gives the area a somewhat Scandinavian vibe ). Overall, to me it just feels laid back without being boring. The dining scene (in particular, the ubiquitous Asian food options in the area) as well as the local craft beer scene are big pluses for me as well. And contrary to popular opinion, I actually like the weather here - I could never hack it in a sun belt city! Last, but not least, the popular music history of the area is another appeal to me.

Things I don't like are typically things that most people who move here complain about. The cost of housing is skyrocketing at an alarming rate, the traffic is getting ridiculous, and although I'm not a firm believer in the Seattle Freeze, it has been my personal experience that people can be a bit more outgoing elsewhere in the country. Two of those issues are mainly attributed to a place that's going through some growing pains. Seattle seemed like somewhat of a hidden gem just a couple of decades ago, but it has grown too much economically to remain that way.

Ironically (and to the dismay of many Seattleites, I'm sure), I'd even go as far as saying that I feel Seattle is losing it's charm and appeal as it grows rapidly, and that Tacoma and Portland are becoming attractive alternative PNW cities for those who aren't highly well off income-wise. It's becoming a city of haves and have-nots, and driving out the folks that, arguably, made it an interesting place to begin with.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Ironically (and to the dismay of many Seattleites, I'm sure), I'd even go as far as saying that I feel Seattle is losing it's charm and appeal as it grows rapidly, and that Tacoma and Portland are becoming attractive alternative PNW cities for those who aren't highly well off income-wise. It's becoming a city of haves and have-nots, and driving out the folks that, arguably, made it an interesting place to begin with.
I think Tacoma has a big opportunity right now to become a more charming alternative to fast growing Seattle. I hope it happens. It's location can't be beat, it just needs will, vision and management.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I think Tacoma has a big opportunity right now to become a more charming alternative to fast growing Seattle. I hope it happens. It's location can't be beat, it just needs will, vision and management.
I agree. I do get a good laugh out of how Seattle-ites/north-sounders still think Tacoma is a crime-ridden hell hole of sorts. The north end of T-town is great. And Hilltop has come a long way since the 90's.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I agree. I do get a good laugh out of how Seattle-ites/north-sounders still think Tacoma is a crime-ridden hell hole of sorts. The north end of T-town is great. And Hilltop has come a long way since the 90's.
I don't spend much time in Tacoma but it makes no sense that Seattle grows like lightning while 30 miles south, a port city on the water with similar greenery, weather, etc. doesn't and then just west of that, Gig Harbor is viewed as charming. Tacoma is just waiting for people to make it what it could be.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't spend much time in Tacoma but it makes no sense that Seattle grows like lightning while 30 miles south, a port city on the water with similar greenery, weather, etc. doesn't and then just west of that, Gig Harbor is viewed as charming. Tacoma is just waiting for people to make it what it could be.
I think it's a combination of Tacoma's bad reputation (Smelly/polluted, high crime rates, etc - this was much more true decades ago than today), and lack of high paying professional/white collar jobs that continue to hold it back. But there is indeed much potential. If Seattle gets too expensive/crowded in the future, then Tacoma will only become a more attractive option down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area