Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 02:50 PM

47 posts, read 70,764 times

Advertisements

We're putting together a last minute trip, roughly Sat. - Sat. covering New Years.

It'll be partly just vacation and partly for checking out potential relocation neighborhoods and the winter weather. We were out a couple of summers ago and it was glorious, but we've been warned about the other 10 months. Things are aligning at our workplaces where we should consider this move more seriously now so we want to make sure about the weather.

We have Eastside friends to visit, but don't want to impose again. Hopefully some of them will invite us to NYE events.

Vacation questions:
Fun holiday things for a 6 year old?
Eastside hotels with an indoor pool? (See 6 year old.) Downtown if that doesn't exist.
Advice on things generally being open on New Years Eve and NY Day?
Kids Museum? Smaller museums? (There's a glass one, right?)

Relocation thoughts & questions:
We're both techies and won't move without at least one job lined up. While I'm intrigued by the idea of becoming a city person, my wife isn't and we'd probably end up on the Eastside.

Without knowing where we'll work, I'd love tips on neighborhoods that are less than 30 minutes from both the downtown tech areas (Amazon/??) and Eastside tech hubs (Kirkland/Redmond/Bellevue?/??).

Or perhaps northern Seattle is suburban enough for her. Lake Forest Park is interesting -- beach rights would be killer. How bad is the commute around to Kirkland, Redmond, etc.

Short commutes and good public schools are critical. Views or beach rights would seal the deal. $750,000 max, 3bd + office/4th bd.

Is it too early to seek out a Real Estate agent to talk about neighborhoods, when we don't have specific targets or a timeframe?

Thanks!!
tlc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2014, 03:52 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee el cee View Post
We're putting together a last minute trip, roughly Sat. - Sat. covering New Years.

It'll be partly just vacation and partly for checking out potential relocation neighborhoods and the winter weather. We were out a couple of summers ago and it was glorious, but we've been warned about the other 10 months. Things are aligning at our workplaces where we should consider this move more seriously now so we want to make sure about the weather.

We have Eastside friends to visit, but don't want to impose again. Hopefully some of them will invite us to NYE events.

Vacation questions:
Fun holiday things for a 6 year old?
Eastside hotels with an indoor pool? (See 6 year old.) Downtown if that doesn't exist.
Advice on things generally being open on New Years Eve and NY Day?
Kids Museum? Smaller museums? (There's a glass one, right?)

Relocation thoughts & questions:
We're both techies and won't move without at least one job lined up. While I'm intrigued by the idea of becoming a city person, my wife isn't and we'd probably end up on the Eastside.

Without knowing where we'll work, I'd love tips on neighborhoods that are less than 30 minutes from both the downtown tech areas (Amazon/??) and Eastside tech hubs (Kirkland/Redmond/Bellevue?/??).

Or perhaps northern Seattle is suburban enough for her. Lake Forest Park is interesting -- beach rights would be killer. How bad is the commute around to Kirkland, Redmond, etc.

Short commutes and good public schools are critical. Views or beach rights would seal the deal. $750,000 max, 3bd + office/4th bd.

Is it too early to seek out a Real Estate agent to talk about neighborhoods, when we don't have specific targets or a timeframe?

Thanks!!
tlc
It's never too early to talk to real estate agents.. they are more than eager to help (make a sale). Depending on the community you might still get water views, but I sure wouldn't bet on the beach rights... at least not on Lk Washington or Lk Sammamish... I visited one last year... just to give you an idea of what kind of wealth it takes to get a home there: the home belonged to the CFO of Xbox

You really ought to identify at least where you will likely be working before you look at homes, although it sounds like Amazon or Microsoft could easily be in your future. In that case Kirkland, Redmond (Eastside) will definitely work. Commutes from any of these communities probably start at about 30 minutes. It's hard to say really though. I mean it depends on where the neighborhood is too.

But if you're really serious about it, go for it.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:15 PM

100 posts, read 130,132 times
Hi. I'll try and answer your questions.

-Here are a list of events you can choose from, and some might be fun for a 6-year-old. SEATTLE events, fairs, festivals - December 2014. I know there is a better web-site out there, but I forget the URL.

-Hotel Bellevue has an indoor pool, but you are welcome to google more options, or have me do it. Luxury Hotel Bellevue, WA | Seattle Area Event & Wedding Venue.

-Hmm... I think a lot of things are open NYE. Some might close early, some might not be open at all. As far as New Years Day is concerned, I think less things are open, some may close early, etc. Movie Theaters and Hospitals are certainly open. I'm guessing Wal-Mart is open, but you'd have to double check. I'm sorry for not being more knowledgeable on that. You are certainly welcome to look into it.

-There's a Children's Museum at the Seattle Center. I'm not sure what you mean by smaller museums as that is pretty small. There is a glass museum in Tacoma. I'm not sure of other ones, but you are certainly welcome to look into it.

-I can't think of where it would be less than 30 to both, but someone is welcome to chime in.

-I'm pretty sure it would take awhile from Lake Forest Park to get to the eastside during commute times.

-Kirkland has the best public school in the area. It's near a lake, but I'm not sure if a beach is involved. I'm not sure about your price and requirements, but you could always look at zillow, etc.

-It might be a bit early to talk to a real estate agent, but I think they could answer your questions better than we could.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:37 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,300 times
Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond and Issaquah will generally be within a half hour-45 mins drive of the major tech hubs in the Eastside or Seattle. For your budget you will have lots of options. I know because this is a search I'm helping two other friends with right now.

What you probably won't get for your budget are water views or beach rights - UNLESS it's deeded Civic Club membership in Lake Forest Park. They have waterfront access with a dock and boat launch, plus there's a community pool; but the beach, like others in this area, is more of a grass beach next to the lake. Your money goes a bit further in Lake Forest Park, and it's a charming community with some stores and great schools. I lived in Kenmore for some time and did the commute to both Bellevue and Seattle, and I'd say it's about equal time to either of those destinations. Half-hour is doable.

Never too early to talk to a real estate broker. In fact, it can sometimes be easier if you talk to one of us in the beginning of your search. We can save you time by doing some of the searching for you, and we can answer lots of questions.

ETA: in terms of kid events, Snowflake Lane at Bellevue Square I think goes through New Year's; the Bellevue Botanical Garden has really pretty night holiday lights; Gingerbread Village at the Seattle Sheraton might still be up. Sadly, I think the PNB Nutcracker ends on Dec. 28, but if you're in town then it's really wonderful!

Hotels with indoor pools: Bellevue Sheraton, Bellevue Hyatt, Bellevue Westin

Old 12-06-2014, 05:18 PM

47 posts, read 70,764 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAlexRZ View Post
-Hotel Bellevue has an indoor pool, but you are welcome to google more options, or have me do it. Luxury Hotel Bellevue, WA | Seattle Area Event & Wedding Venue.
Thanks! Since I posted, I see that the Eastside is covered with (for example) Marriott properties, so this question will be easy.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:51 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,868,485 times
If you're staying over in the Eastside, check out Bellevue's holiday annual outdoor ice skating rink. My kid was a bit younger than yours, but this was her favorite activity. Bellevue Ice Skating Arena - Bellevue Events, Happenings, Attractions | Bellevue.com. Bellevue also has a small children museum, KidQuest in Factoria. They should be still open on New Years.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:04 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Within the Seattle Center complex just north of downtown seattle, there's the Children's Museum, the Pacific Science Center( good for kids), and the Chihuly Glass place. Also in the Armory( part of the Seattle Center complex), they have a big model train running as part of the holiday celebration, and sometimes they let kids control it with the remote control.
I don't think Lake Forest Park would qualify in the 30 minutes to the eastside category, more like 45 ish, but it does have a great bookstore, big trees, and cool Mid Century Modern houses.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:42 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Thanks! Since I posted, I see that the Eastside is covered with (for example) Marriott properties, so this question will be easy.

Marriott Redmond Town Center (RTC), e.g., is nice. Pool, I'm not sure however. Not a bad base of operations as one example. I have breakfast there with my business mentor couple times/year and heartily recommend the morning fare for the coffee, linens, and service level.

Nordstrom and Westlake Plaza in-general are fun Xmas and New Year's places. I try and take mass transit, because there is a station right under the plaza and parking can be dodgy (though not impossible) anywhere around there.

Always someone protesting something, couple years ago it was "Occupy Seattle", then "Free Egypt," and now "Free ______". Whatever insanity they're on about (Communists, anarchists, bums and vagrants). Fill in blank...MadLibs style. I vote for:

...Beer!
...Willy!
...Parking!

...but there you go. It's a free (ahem!) country.

I too find (or rather found) city life "intriguing" but have never made good on my threat, either. Many families end up Eastside, since you'll want good educational and recreational opportunities for the child eventually. That exists in Seattle, too, but the family-minded I work with by majority "prefer" Eastside's family amenities. So they tell me. Watching my pal's kids grow up in Bellevue, they (the schools) seem to be impressive. He chose wisely.

That budget might get you something in Lake Forest Park, indeed. Guy I bought my house from moved to adjacent Kenmore on the same theory, he's done real well on that place (per Zillow). He runs an outsourced service provider to (primarily) the tech major I work for, making great coin I strongly suspect. Schools there, who knows.

I'm a Kirkland booster, big-time, thus will mention you can find something decent here for your budget, though not as nice as one might hope (closer to the water prices rise rather quickly). my house is pretty much what you're looking for, space/budget, but I ain't selling nor am I that close to water (15 blocks more or less to my favorite, Waverly Beach Park). Definitely "short commutes" and "great public schools," however.

When you're in town, might want to schedule a cup of coffee (or gyro at Santorini in Kirkland) with a realtor. It's slow-season, "I think", and I'm sure my guy would make time, as one of many examples. I'm not advertising his or anyone else's services, there are probably more than a few neighborhood experts who'd sit down and talk about the future without much pressure. This place (Eastside) mostly sells itself, it's a seller's market AFAIK (per Zillow, again) thus a good idea to be well-positioned before trying to buy a place.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:03 AM

735 posts, read 871,194 times
First off, it's great that you're making an off season visit, I love the Pacific Northwest, but sometimes long stretches of super bright very cold days (clouds moderate the temps, especially at night) or overcast gloomy days when you're not 100% if the sun ever did raise, can get a bit much. Today it's a nice mild day, but we're headed into a rain stretch, get ready for flood warnings.

I'll just second what others have said, especially about picking a place close to you're future job site, commutes are bad and are only going to get worse, though wherever you guys wind up there are plenty of family friendly entertainment options. I would put a link, but it seems CD frowns on them, so google "rainy day activities for kids 50 Seattle indoor play spaces" and that's not even a comprehensive list of activities.

Best of luck with your visit, job hunting and home search!

Old 12-07-2014, 01:21 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
Hey, someone with the nickname of tee el cee deserves a shot at the Seattle Metro! And I say that in a friendly, positive manner. Go for it with all your gusto. I miss Seattle so much. May be heading to eastern Washington to live and work (in the next several weeks) so poaching a visit to Seattle will easily be within reach. I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area