Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,726 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,
On Thanksgiving day police stop me because I didn't stop at 'STOP' sign.
In my driver ID is not correct current address. After when he checked my ID he asked my current address and I gave him again wrong address . It was not correct home number and without apartment num.

He didn't give me a ticket and said that will receive by mail. First Question, Can I receive ticket by mail? Why he didn't give me a special document, like really traffic ticket?

I checked my license number and DOB in [url=http://your.kingcounty.gov/kcdc/payonline/FindVehicle.aspx]Vehicle license search[/url] and [url=http://www.seattle.gov/courts/ticket/ticket.htm]Municipal Court of Seattle - Payments and Penalties[/url] . These websites can not find my data.
Where I can check online or may be to call anywhere?

Maybe he wanted to send me a new driver ID?
How much ticket for "STOP" sign?
Did Somebody have this problem?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 12:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
First of all, giving an invalid address to an officer is in itself a violation of the law.

RCW 46.61.020: Refusal to give information to or cooperate with officer

It can take 72 hours for the violation to get into the computer, though I have never known of an officer sending a ticket by mail, they have always given it to me (and others I know) at the time of the stop, except when a camera catches you. The last time I checked the state fine was $42 for failure to stop at a stop sign (and your insurance cost will go up).
Any city or county could charge more. I would expect the "false reporting" fine to be higher.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:36 PM

There wasn't camera. I gave him address unintentionally.
When officer will submit a ticket he will check address in Department of Licensing, correct?
Thank you for info.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times
If it was me I would take a trip down to the downtown Seattle public safety building (or N. Precinct, although I'm not even sure that is still open) and explain the situation. Tell them you gave the wrong address by mistake. I doubt that they would issue a fine for false reporting for an unintentional wrong address, although I don't know for sure. See if you can pay the stop sign fine in person at the Public Safety building.

If you really want to be on the safe side, consult with a traffic lawyer first. There are tons of them--just google Seattle+traffic lawyer.

Whatever you do, don't just ignore it--get it taken care of.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:49 PM

I found a ticket in the your.kingcounty.gov website. Price - 124$.
Thank you.

Old 12-13-2014, 01:17 AM

259 posts, read 670,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmakar View Post
On Thanksgiving day police stop me because I didn't stop at 'STOP' sign.

Glad to hear about it. Running stop signs is an epidemic in this town that needs a cure, PRONTO!!!!

Old 12-13-2014, 11:23 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
Glad to hear about it. Running stop signs is an epidemic in this town that needs a cure, PRONTO!!!!
I noticed this too and it goes beyond Seattle. In Washington, it just seems as though stop signs are treated as optional.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:33 AM

259 posts, read 670,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I noticed this too and it goes beyond Seattle. In Washington, it just seems as though stop signs are treated as optional.

They seem to obey them in Edmonds, but Bellevue is bad too.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:47 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Help Desk View Post
They seem to obey them in Edmonds, but Bellevue is bad too.
Napavine, Chehalis and Centralia are bad.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:02 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,059 times
nice try. giving him a fake address or an old address won't work because the ticket is tied to your drivers license number.

if it counts against your driving record, i would try to fight it. in general it's worth the hassle and attorney fees to fight it even if it ends up costing more just to try to get it eliminated or reduced so that it doesn't go on your record.

PM me if you want my lawyer's contact info. I usually received a few tickets per year (mostly speeding) and I still have no points on my record. Usually I am able to get out of the ticket but sometimes I have to pay a reduced fine...but never has it remained the original ticket and stayed on my record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area