Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,690 times

Advertisements

Something to consider is that these are household incomes. Blacks marry at a lower percentage than whites, so less dual income households will contribute to the lower median household income.

Old 12-13-2014, 06:19 AM

32 posts, read 76,328 times
This is disappointing. I am relocating to Seattle soon and suppose I am considered "elite Black" due to my income level, that phrase disturbs me but I digress. There are significant gaps in income across the US but considering Seattle has a pretty high cost of living I too wonder how Black people as a whole are surviving. When I came to visit Seattle prior to accepting my new role I didn't see any ghettos or what I consider impoverished communities, a few homeless people but that exists in every large city. My vision gave me the perception that people of color weren't completely middle class but certainly not that far below the poverty line. Where do they live?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:13 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,624,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCovergirl View Post
This is disappointing. I am relocating to Seattle soon and suppose I am considered "elite Black" due to my income level, that phrase disturbs me but I digress. There are significant gaps in income across the US but considering Seattle has a pretty high cost of living I too wonder how Black people as a whole are surviving. When I came to visit Seattle prior to accepting my new role I didn't see any ghettos or what I consider impoverished communities, a few homeless people but that exists in every large city. My vision gave me the perception that people of color weren't completely middle class but certainly not that far below the poverty line. Where do they live?
"Seattle also has the largest African American population of any city in the Pacific Northwest, it is largely concentrated in the Central District and Rainier Beach neighborhoods."

Demographics of Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-13-2014, 08:28 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,150,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunCovergirl View Post
Hi, since I was the one with the elite term.. I am sorry. I used the term elite not wealthy, because more than money goes into sociatal rule. Elite.has a strong power and influence element too it.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
The problem is we are divided by society. Divided by belief, divided by ethnisity, divided by class.

Income disparities and the gap between rich and poor is eating at more than blacks.

As long as the underclass thinks they will be the lucky one to break free, if they work hard enough and consume enough gadgets that they will be free from the slavery the minority few percent will remain in rule over us. Reality is all but a few percent of our society is shackled to a small minority.

Your just a consumer for multinational corporations / the worlds elite that's it. Wake up.

Racism is nothing but a tool to divide and weaken us.

I for one am pleased with the societal unrest in the Ferguson trial. It is a baby step. Likely not my children, but maybe my childerens children will be part of the great global revolution.

The Keynesian monopoly game is over, just hand outs now to keep us placated and in their game.

The numbers that say I quit will increase in the coming decades.

Oppressed blacks should stop slending their money with the man
.instead support local small business, or if avalible local small black businesses.

In order to win at their game you need to vote with your wallet... It is the only way to win.
+1

Old 12-13-2014, 11:18 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

TrueTimbers, You supported the law breaking in Ferguson? Too bad.. So , a bunch of people burning down the businesses of hard working, law abiding people and looting their stores was a step in the right direction? I understand everyone was upset about the convenience store robber getting shot and killed by the police officer after he punched the cop and tried to take his gun, but seriously, how is burning, looting and destroying businesses and property a way to prove how respectful and law-abiding the people of Ferguson are? If anything, they are only proving the opposite.
I think TrueTimbers was speaking of the general protest, not the violent element.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:42 PM

32 posts, read 76,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Hi, since I was the one with the elite term.. I am sorry. I used the term elite not wealthy, because more than money goes into sociatal rule. Elite.has a strong power and influence element too it.
Completely understand.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:17 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
if anyone is trying to insinuate that seattle is a racist city that out to oppress african americans, i don't buy it.

like every ethnic group in this country, there are rich african americans, middle class african americans, and poor african americans. it's like that for every race.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:18 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-data-forum-84 View Post
Do people really believe Seattle is great for blacks or is it liberal BS?

Do you have links to where people claimed Seattle is great for blacks or was that just dramatic BS?

Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I can't believe these statistics, they can't be right. One thing well documented is how much more blacks have suffered under Obama Presidency relative to the rest of the country in terms of wealth, income, employment, etc....strange no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area