Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 11:54 PM

109 posts, read 381,956 times

Advertisements

would love to hear your pros and cons.
Husband commutes to the city and I stay home with 3 kids. Currently we have a home on Bainbridge but door-to-door the commute (although pleasant for him) is 2 hours. As you can imagine, I'd like him home earlier. I don't think we can afford our ideal location of Issaquah, but it seems like Snoqualmie Ridge is close by and does have plans to increase shopping and restaurants amenities?
My other concern is how welcoming are the schools and how supportive are they to IEP students. Socially, Bainbridge has been a tough nut to crack if you're an outsider.

Anyway, I would love to hear what you like and don't like about Snoqualmie. I should probably start the same on BI so that people wanting to move there has some forewarning too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 01:00 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
I'm in Issaquah.. what's your price range for homes?

I can't comment on Sno Ridge as a resident, but it was definitely on the very short short list of Eastside communities we had considered. Actually, it was the only other community It's beautiful and many homes are more affordable, or perhaps rather, you get a little more house for what you'd spend closer in. I'm sure you've read that schools are probably considered not quite as good as ISD, but that elementary is more highly regarded than the secondary... perhaps when all the new Sno Ridge kids grow up that will change too...

But I will say that I am very satisfied with my choice to move my special ed student into Issy schools. His school took up his case as soon as I let them know we were moving in. His IEP is for 60% special ed. They take care to have him transition with another special ed buddy in and out of the IEP sections of his education. His future teachers are always selected beforehand based on both the his and the teacher's characteristics. These past two years he's gotten the most highly regarded teachers of the grade level.

If you would prefer Issaquah, maybe you should see if you really can afford it.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 AM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
I used to live in Snoqualmie Ridge and now live in North Bend and like both. My husband commutes into downtown Seattle which ranges from 45 minutes to an hr. The things I liked most about living on the Ridge: nice neighbors, safe community, trails, walkability, scenery and commute. My kids never attended schools in the Sno Valley S.D. so I can't comment on the schools.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:06 AM

109 posts, read 381,956 times
Thanks Prple and flyingsaucermom! Great things to consider.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
With the last metro route cuts, they eliminated many of the bus trips from Issaquah Transit Center to North Bend/Snoqualmie. There are only 8 trips now all day long. For people taking the bus (I see them there) it can be a 90 minute or two hour trip. For those that commute, traffic has gotten worse. A co-worker in North Bend was complaining about it until she managed to find enough people to form a vanpool.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:20 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times
I would add that the commute becoming worse is relative. i drive it every day and find it to be super easy for the most part. You can bank on the drive from Exit 25 ((Snoqualmie Ridge) to 18 (Front Street)being wide open and beautiful. I would take that part of the commute over anything else in King County. West of Front street it can get tougher, but seldom is stopped like 405 and 5 are on a daily basis.

Other plus include being part of King County even though you are out a ways. You get the government amenities without the crowds for services like the library, fire protection and senior resources. the police department there is top notch and one of the best I have ever seen, based on what they have accomplished in nearby North bend. Down the back side of the ridge you have old town Snoqualmie with great restaurants and shops. A bit further down 202 you have the falls, Salish lodge and the town of North Bend all very close. North Bend has 2 full size grocery stores and when considered with the outlet malls, puts most of your shopping very close by. Of course even a run down the hill to Issaquah is easy enough to do for dinner when or a trip to Home Depot/Lowes. If you ski, you are closer to the Summit and easy access for winter sports.

The only knock on the Ridge that I have is cookie cutter subdivisions. It's row after row of beige color houses with just enough variation that you can find your way home. You will get more snow and more rain than where you are now, so if you are at all freaked out about driving in the snow it might be an issue. We can count on some snow up there every year. I can't comment on the schools as i have no direct experience. Anecdotally, I hear good things and the community seems to be very supportive of the schools and visa versa, as is true in most smaller towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area