Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 12:23 PM

426 posts, read 426,976 times

Advertisements

No, liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 02:48 PM

338 posts, read 846,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
No, liberals.
Could you take your political prejudices elsewhere? Not really serving a point to the conversation here.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:31 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,307,318 times
While the cost of living has been rising, it is still less than in California, which is where most of the immigrants to Seattle are coming from, as well as many other major metropolitan areas (New York, Boston, Washington D.C.).

Housing costs are being driven up as fast as they are because so many people (including families) are moving into the "city" (Seattle and Bellevue, actually), because it is where the jobs are and they want to live closer to where they work (and don't want to spend half their lives stuck in traffic). Unfortunately, too many newcomers are under the impression that only a handful of neighborhoods are worth living in, causing rents and house prices there to especially skyrocket.

In the past, periodic "Boeing busts" would tend to sluice people back down I-5 and, thus, keep housing costs under control. Unless there is a "Microsoft/Amazon bust" somewhere on the horizon (hey, there might be)...

People are also being attracted here by the Seattle/NW life-style, which promises all the urbane amenities just a hop and a skip from the wonders of nature, in contrast to the cultural/natural wastelands they're leaving behind.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:38 AM

2,064 posts, read 4,422,021 times
COL here is rising but still well manageable. I moved here for 2 reasons and 2 reasons only:

1) Much better work situation. Pay increase was 50% compared to what I was making in Southern California and the company is much more reputable (better for my future prospects).

2) COL with lower housing prices (I still estimate about 30% lower) + no state income tax + comparable sales tax meant that my wife can stop working and we get a much better quality of life even based on my single income.

My wife made good money (over 6 figures) so even with my increase in salary, etc. my single income makes less than what we both made together but because of the lower COL, our lifestyle is still much better with just my income.

If it wasn't for both of these reasons together, we would not have moved here.

However, I think that perhaps the wages are high only in tech so Amazon, MSFT, etc. are bringing that average up. i.e., I suspect that the standard deviation is pretty high in Seattle.

RVD.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 PM

710 posts, read 1,394,725 times
Not surprised Houston is so high. You can make a lot there, but it's not worth it. I feel you take a hit in quality of life due to the oppressive heat and lack of outdoor scenery/activities. I do make more here, but I'd still rather make less to live here over Houston!

Old 01-03-2015, 02:58 AM

70 posts, read 111,103 times
seattle is also home to some of the cheapest and greediest people i've ever met

Old 01-03-2015, 04:14 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,307,318 times
You can find cheap and greedy people anywhere. Generalizing from your own circle of acquaintances is pretty worthless. Even with the increasing COL here, the "rat race" is still not as bad as many other places in the country.

Old 01-03-2015, 04:32 PM

70 posts, read 111,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
You can find cheap and greedy people anywhere. Generalizing from your own circle of acquaintances is pretty worthless. Even with the increasing COL here, the "rat race" is still not as bad as many other places in the country.
I guess to restate, I have never met so many 150k+ salaried people who are so greedy/cheap in a densely populated town, that they literally are the direct contributors to making life so damn expensive for everyone else.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:57 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,435,912 times
It's perty hard ta disagree with cpmunk. It's even hard ta find an affordable rental in Moses Lake. Why would that be? There's nothing special at all about the place.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:07 PM

723 posts, read 802,689 times
What is the real value of money in those cities? I mean in DC, you can easily run into a 2-bedroom apartment costing $3000 /month !!!!
How can someone with $ 45 K/ year survive out there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area