Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
1) The inspectors already exist. They are already on the lookout for recyclable objects (and have been since the 90s), so this is just more work for them.

2) The actual fine is $1 ...

3) ... which will not be assessed against a person until after "at least" 3 citations. By the city's own admission, they will not be "aggressively" enforcing the law right away. They may not end up enforcing the law at all in 2015 given all of the educational efforts that will need to be underway. This is a town with a lot of newcomers, so they are putting a lot of effort towards education and less towards enforcement.

4) For those who think this is a revenue generator, note that inspectors working for the contractor companies (WM and Cleanscapes) make over $20/hr. The inspectors working for the city make over $24/hr starting out. That's not including gas and other expenses that the inspectors charge off. Trust and believe when I tell you that, mathematically speaking, the expense of having an inspector look at your garbage can pretty much never be recovered by the fines being generated, even if every person was cited.

For more education on this topic, see here:

Q&A pokes deeper into Seattle’s new composting rules, fines | Local News | The Seattle Times
With the cost of enforcement and a fine of $1, no, it's not a cash cow for individual residences. For commercial, however, it's $50 and very easy for the collectors/inspectors to note and record violations in large dumpsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 12:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With the cost of enforcement and a fine of $1, no, it's not a cash cow for individual residences. For commercial, however, it's $50 and very easy for the collectors/inspectors to note and record violations in large dumpsters.
That fine is, again, only assessed after 2 documented "warning" violations:

New garbage rules begin Jan. 1, with fines to follow

So, basically, don't be a dick to the inspectors and work with them. Lord knows, the last thing those guys (and gals) want is to go through a dumpster of solid waste. Believe it or not, they are more predisposed to be helpful than not. And again, $50 is not even going to begin to cover the cost of an inspector (salary + gas + potential overtime if needed) doing random inspections. They'd rather not go there.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:13 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
NAZI waste mgmt rules...

Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,743 times
It seems pretty silly. I mostly don't like that if not everyone in a complex is doing it correctly, the landlord will get fines and eventually raise rents to cover it. Doesn't seem fair that we all would have to pay for that, but then again, this happens all the time with many things. Like we need another thing to cause a raise in rents...

Old 01-05-2015, 10:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Well, I think this is very interesting. It may be carrying things to extremes, but they must be doing this for a reason--is there a shortage of dump space?

I remember when they set up a system that encouraged residents to recycle, by distributing trash cans of different sizes, the smallest size incurring the lowest monthly fee. I thought that was cool, and more cities should be doing it. I'd always been vaguely interested in composting and had plenty of backyard space to do it, so this could have been the nudge I needed to follow through. But still, fining people and such (though a mostly symbolic fine) is new territory in the waste disposal business.

So what gives? Are they running out of landfill locations? You can't say they're not innovative.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrman78 View Post
It seems pretty silly. I mostly don't like that if not everyone in a complex is doing it correctly, the landlord will get fines and eventually raise rents to cover it. Doesn't seem fair that we all would have to pay for that, but then again, this happens all the time with many things. Like we need another thing to cause a raise in rents...
Else we all pay higher garbage rates? People living in houses and town homes can scale back their garbage production and use smaller containers - or get a big container and pay hundreds of dollars a month. People living in multi-family housing on the other hand get charged a flat rate, so there's no incentive to create less trash.

I've cut back my weekly garbage production to the smallest container offered by the City of Seattle. I compost all of my green waste, so all I pay for is the minimum garbage and base recycling fee. If a bunch of people in multi-family housing are too lazy to scrape their plates into a separate bin, why should I pay for that? I've already done everything I can to cut my trash down to the minimum.

Looking at the costs associated with dumping, green waste should be less expensive to process since they just pile it up, mix in shredded trees and let it rot for a few months. Then it's re-sold for $40/yard as Cedar Grove compost. That isn't possible if it's all mixed in with bottle caps and plastic take out containers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area