Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 07:05 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times

Advertisements

get around,say from Bellevue where we're staying into Seattle and other areas without getting on the freeways? I'm a really nervous driver on interstates and freeways. I know there must be roads that were used before major interstates were built. Also is the weather typically very cold and the roads icy the first week of Dec.? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 PM

20 posts, read 105,863 times
Unfortunately, there are not many roads at all to drive on aound here. If you stay in Bellevue and are visiting Seattle, there is really no way to get there unless you go by freeway. If you want to go on one of the few side roads it will take you forever. You will go completely around the lake but that could take anywhere from 1-3 hours depending on traffic. If you stay in Bellevue, you will take either floating bridge across the lake ( sounds worse than it is). It's either I-90, or 520 across. I wouldn't advise going around especially if your nervous, being that you'll end up in traffic FOR A LONG TIME.

In December the roads rarely get icy. You just have to be carefeul and watch for the black Ice (occasionall) especially @ night. It just mainly rains. There are great buses that go back and forth from Seattle and Bellevue. You could look into that. Also, downtown there's the free bus area. ( Atleast it used to be).

If you have any other ?, just ask.
Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:53 PM

454 posts, read 906,162 times
For the Bellevue to Seattle trip go ahead and do this on the freeways, morning from 7:00 until 10:00 to Seattle, back from 3:00 to 6:00. This time frame will put you on a road that you will typically average well under 40 MPH. Believe me that it will be safer to do that than to use the side roads due to the lack of traffic lights.

the "Eastside" of seattle (Bellevue and surrounds) are fairly new. Due to this, you don't have the "old hiway" system. Prior to the bridges there was a ferry from Bellevue to Seattle. The drive around the lake was residential streets. On the north end of the lake there is a Highway, but you have to drive north on I405 to get to it.

From the south of the lake you again take I-405 and can take Rainier or MLK (martin luther king) way from Renton. Either way involves a freeway.

If you stay in Bellevue you can take Bellevue way south to I-90. This takes you to I-90 right about the place where you start crossing Mercer Island. From there to downtown seattle is only about 4 miles. You will get the special privilege of crossing the floating bridge (yes it floats). At the end of this freeway you can get right off the freeway (at the sports stadiums) and use the downtown streets.

I could give you directions for the side roads so you can avoid any freeways, but you would get lost, guaranteed.

While there are jerks in every city, most drivers in Seattle are pretty forgiving. You rarely hear someone honking at you, even if you do something "dumb". If you need to change lanes, you will usually find that someone will let you in... unless you ignore the "lane ends" signs and you wait for the last second to merge lanes. then, even I will not let you in, and I'm a really nice driver.

Make sure you have a good, updated map. Even with that, Seattle and surrounds has a ton of roadwork going on (big tax increase for gas tax has lots happening). Plan your route ahead and be prepared to get turned around in downtown Seattle, but the good news is that Seattle is a North/South city, the puget sound to the west, I-5 frames the downtown area on the east, so you will be usually going north and south. Lots of one way streets though, so be patient.

Hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:15 AM

thanks you guys. I suppose I'm going by the drivers here and they are bad! Fast & furious and lots of road rage going on. I know all the back roads so I drive them mostly. Nice to know there are courteous drivers in other cities. We opted to rent a car because we want to drive into Canada and also to Oregon but may use public transportation to go into Seattle. I didn't know Bellevue was across the sound from Seattle when booking the hotel. Not too sure I'm crazy about a floating bridge.......hmmm.....LOL
Had to LOL at Dufferz's post ; especially :While there are jerks in every city, most drivers in Seattle are pretty forgiving. You rarely hear someone honking at you, even if you do something "dumb". If you need to change lanes, you will usually find that someone will let you in... unless you ignore the "lane ends" signs and you wait for the last second to merge lanes. then, even I will not let you in, and I'm a really nice driver.

...........I promise to not ignore the "lane ends" signs. I hope we have a great trip too. My daughter has 6 interviews so hope they go well. Also we will take a day or so to drive about and pinpoint what areas we would want to live in as well as those we do NOT care to live in. For not we "think" we want to live in Port Orchard or Gig Harbor area but that may change once we get there.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:14 PM

454 posts, read 906,162 times
Northern,

I am sure you will have a good visit. Just to make sure there is no confusion when you get here, you mentioned that you did not know that Bellevue was "across the sound". Actually Bellevue and Seattle is separated by lake Washington. I-90 takes you from Bellevue, across a bridge to Mercer Island (that bridge is short and does not float), then once you get through mercer Island (about a mile) you cross the lake on the floating bridge about 1500 feet.

If you need any additional tips on where to look, give a holler.

The dufferz

Old 11-05-2006, 06:39 AM

Default to the Dufferz

check your messages. thanks for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area