Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 PM

339 posts, read 707,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Seattle actually has less annual rainfall, I'm told. I know what you mean, though, about humidity not being the same throughout the south. I personally can't deal with 90% humidity, 90 degrees heat like I've experienced in places like New Orleans, among other places. There is nothing comparable to that kind of discomfort in western Washington.
Seattle has around the same or less overall rainfall than a lot of places in the south. The problem with this place is that it's like the mist feature of the produce isle of any supermarket...except the "mister" over Seattle is stuck in the "on" position. In the south, it rains hard for a short period of time and then stops (for a long period of time). 90% humidity in 90 degree weather for a couple months or 100 percent wetness in cold weather for 6-7 months (or more)...It's a matter of personal choice.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:16 PM

355 posts, read 990,414 times
We are all so different.....I can easily handle the 90% humidity and hot temps. But I feel miserably cold in the 50 degree dampness. I love the hot, sultry summer days of S FL. I would rather sweat than shiver.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:18 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Summers back east I couldn't deal with anymore. The weatherman use to always talk about the three H's, hazy, hot and humid and D.C. is like a swamp. My mother use to tell me to go out and start the car and turn on the a/c full blast while she got ready under the a/c in the house. Then she would run out and jump in the car. Speaking of rain. Thunderstorms were the worst. Often the power would go out in the neighborhood then we would have to suffer under stifling heat and humidity. And what made it really aweful was the streets would all steam up after a thunderstorm. It was like we were in a sauna.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 AM

64 posts, read 250,908 times
I just have to say that I respectfully disagree with Chris regarding the weather in Augusta. Chris, how long has it been since you've been there? We have family in Augusta and it is only 2 1/2 hrs. from where we live in Atlanta. It is HOT and VERY HUMID there in the summer - miserable. PWright1 said it well with the word "oppressive." Uggg.....

Old 04-25-2008, 01:18 PM

534 posts, read 3,110,601 times
goodness gracious I must not be getting my point across.

Yes, it's hot in Augusta during July/August. Rarely ever above 90 though.
I've experienced the same temperatures here in Olympia for weeks during the summer too with similar humidity. It's summer!

Augusta is *not* like the mid coast region of the east coast. Ask anyone who has lived in the two areas and I think they will agree. I lived in the Augusta area for 3 years, and while I haven't been there for ~3 years, I'd assume not much has changed (yes I am aware of the drought in the south).

What I feel people are missing here is that the point I'm trying to make is that it is moderate in Augusta 8 or more months out of the year 60's-70s versus two months of that same weather here (three on a good year) in Seattle. You can go anywhere at some point in the year and it will not be to your liking. However (IMO), 60-80 is a great range for average highs to live in, especially when it's that way 8 or more months out of the year.

Not to mention, the weather in Seattle is condusive to depression and overeating. I've never seen so much waist flab hanging off jeans in my life.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
goodness gracious I must not be getting my point across.

Yes, it's hot in Augusta during July/August. Rarely ever above 90 though.
I've experienced the same temperatures here in Olympia for weeks during the summer too with similar humidity. It's summer!

Not to mention, the weather in Seattle is condusive to depression and overeating. I've never seen so much waist flab hanging off jeans in my life.
You're from the South and you think the people in Seattle are fat? Seriously?

Old 04-25-2008, 01:29 PM

601 posts, read 1,903,750 times
I agree with Pwright1. We are in the Fl panhandle (lower Alabama) it's already getting hot (in the 80's) and there is a touch of humidity already.
We just got an offer on our house yesterday.....if all goes well we are off
to the Seattle area !!!!!! (Everett) got a house there to renovate and a son to get off to college. ( and you want to talk about overweight......you ain't seen nothing til you come around here)

Old 04-25-2008, 01:30 PM

no, I wouldn't use the word fat... Waist flab is more appropriate, and it's usually a result of sitting on ones butt too much and diet. My guess is the weather coupled with the computer culture that exists here. Maybe it's even a genetic issue? I hadn't put much thought into it actually.

I believe it goes back to the difference of being outside 8+ months out of the year versus 2+ here. A social outdoor culture versus one where people often hibernate.

I'm not from the south, I grew up in New England, almost 20 years of my life was spent there.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:34 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Georgia has a higher obesity rate than Washington. Maybe because the vegetables there aren't cooked in bacon fat?

Old 04-25-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Georgia has a higher obesity rate than Washington. Maybe because the vegetables there aren't cooked in bacon fat?
yes, that could be. I had never had fried pickles before I moved to the south, and the best Mexican food I've ever had was found in Augusta (as well as catfish).

On the other hand, I've found that stereotypes applied to many areas of the south aren't entirely true. In fact, if it weren't for the accent, you'd have difficulty in telling where you were, due to the homogonization of just about every population center in this country. And even if vegatables are cooked in bacon fat, it doesn't explain the differences in waist flab.

I had to check out obesity rates by state, and Washington has a 19% versus a 22% in Georgia.

That's hardly worth mention and I can think of reasons that would explain it. I wonder what the waist flab statistics are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area