Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with Cobolt - and I too think this is a beautiful place to live

I also came from a 280+ days of sun area. But it never made me upset when it was blazin hot, I just dealt with it. SO I didn't think anything was going to be that hard.

And I too, see SO MANY people on here say stuff like "I love the rain" - and you know what? I was one of those people! I used to say I'm more of a mountain girl then the beach. I loved rain! I loved the moisture and the smell and the refreshing cleansing.

Guess what? It's not so refreshing when all your body desires is warmth.

You know how after a long hot summer you get a wonderful sense of Fall is coming? I seriously miss that. I don't get that at all. It's not a warm fresh spring and hot summer then a lovely fall - it is (IMHO) under 50 and cloudy from end of Sept to May (and most of June) then Spring-ish weather in July and August - then back to the muck.

People from Hot climates really need to think long and hard.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:23 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,275 times
CityGirl I know what you mean about people saying "I love the rain"!
It will take getting use to. That means changing your lifestyle to live in the Seattle climate. But remember, it's not all bad, and being in the heat has many pitfalls! Try to remember them and reavaluate your current state of mind. A lot of it is just a change of attitude/outlook, then you will see things differently.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:49 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
I remember when I first moved here I was trying to make a list of the "bad" about Sacramento so I could show my husband it wasn't always peaches and cream

If I find the list I'll show everyone

All I remember is Number One was : Hot Seat Belts!

(I have a scar on my thigh from a seat belt buckle burning me some August)

Old 05-28-2008, 07:43 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmag2OOO View Post
But you will eventually have traffic problems if you are anywhere near Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Tukwila, Renton, Everett etc. I only emphasise this because up until about 10 years ago this didn't even exist.
You must not have drive much in the past, traffic has been bad in the Seattle area for at least 20 years. I did courier work from the late 80's through mid 90's and traffic on all of the major freeways has was always bad anywhere near commute hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmag2OOO View Post
We are a very diverse mindset, politically speaking, so not just one side or view wins out all the time, it's very left and very right and a lot of in between.
That's just plain not true. This entire area is run by liberal democrats. There are many conservatives in parts of the state but not enough to effect the politics. When was the last time there was a republican govenor or US senator? When was the last time the state electoral votes didn't go to a democrat? Democrats completely run King County, they have more votes than republicans and votes virtually always (I haven't seen EVERY vote) break down along party lines. How many 'Bush hating' bumper stickers do you see every day?

You may think this is a diverse area with a lot of give and take but that's not what happens.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I totally agree with Cobolt - and I too think this is a beautiful place to live

I also came from a 280+ days of sun area. But it never made me upset when it was blazin hot, I just dealt with it. SO I didn't think anything was going to be that hard.

And I too, see SO MANY people on here say stuff like "I love the rain" - and you know what? I was one of those people! I used to say I'm more of a mountain girl then the beach. I loved rain! I loved the moisture and the smell and the refreshing cleansing.

Guess what? It's not so refreshing when all your body desires is warmth.

You know how after a long hot summer you get a wonderful sense of Fall is coming? I seriously miss that. I don't get that at all. It's not a warm fresh spring and hot summer then a lovely fall - it is (IMHO) under 50 and cloudy from end of Sept to May (and most of June) then Spring-ish weather in July and August - then back to the muck.

People from Hot climates really need to think long and hard.
That is all true. When you are sun-oriented Seattle can be miserable. Even if you have a good job it can affect you negatively.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:58 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
mod cut: comments considered orphaned as what was being referred to has been deleted.

Mod note:

This thread has been closed as the OP hasn't checked back in months. It apparently is being used as a "catch-all" thread to discuss political agendas, etc. and has the potential to spiral out of control. Please keep general political discussions that don't have to do specifically with the Seattle area in the correct forum here at C-D. Please start another thread to continue a "quality" discussion on the political issues of the area.

The last series of posts in this thread have been deleted. This series contained posts by a number of different members and most had to be "orphaned" because the inflammatory post that most were referring to was removed. Remember, you can see only your own deletion notice. You will not be able to see the deletion notices of other members' posts.

Thank you.

Last edited by scirocco22; 05-31-2008 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area