Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:40 AM

44 posts, read 145,495 times

Advertisements

wow a lot of people responded to this !

Now I feel conflicted. What is wrong with me? I was all ready to move away from here but then I was like..how can I ever leave and go to live in Michigan or Florida after living here. I think I have been west coasterized ;/

The people here suck the weather sucks the traffic sucks the cost of living sucks why can't I get away from here? I don't know what to do or where to go. Guess I will just stay here until I figure it out, I was thinking maybe I should just move to Europe but in the meantime, I guess it isn't so bad here after all, even with all the mizzle. (that's Sea-speak for mist + drizzle).

Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,645 times
I've learned the grass isn't always greener on the other side. However, you never know if you'll like it until you try it. Also some people just need a change, so you may very well like FL or Europe for that matter Rikki. I'm ready to leave south TX to move up north knowing fair well that the weather will be a stumbling block for me at first, but I on one hand have had enough of hot, humid summers that last from May-Oct.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:29 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,510,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
I would say all the hype about Seattle (we saw buzzing in the 1990's) has possibly started to fade a bit, yet the city still is very much on the radar. Many cities seem to go through a stage where tons of people talk about it, and want to move there. And, tons of people move there, and some of them move away. I think of Dallas in the 80's and Houston in the 70's. I think of Austin. I think of Atlanta ("Hotlanta") and Denver.

I'm wondering what city is getting all the hype right now? Anybody know?

I agree, cities become trendy. Right now, I don't know what places are considered to be hot.
As far as people being unfriendly, it's like that anywhere. People are territorial and are not friendly to strangers as a whole. You find some who are. I have talked to people in the check out line and they were almost shocked I had the nerve to.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSandsYucca View Post
I would say all the hype about Seattle (we saw buzzing in the 1990's) has possibly started to fade a bit, yet the city still is very much on the radar. Many cities seem to go through a stage where tons of people talk about it, and want to move there. And, tons of people move there, and some of them move away. I think of Dallas in the 80's and Houston in the 70's. I think of Austin. I think of Atlanta ("Hotlanta") and Denver.

I'm wondering what city is getting all the hype right now? Anybody know?
This is a great point. I noticed it as well. There was a time when Seattle was the 'it' city. It seemed to be about 10-15 years ago and, though I've never had anything to do with Seattle, I noticed it at the time. I've also noticed that the 'it' status is starting to fade. What do you think was responsible for Seattle's hot status in the 1st place? I was always thinking Starbucks, the grunge music era and the aura/power of MSFT. These forces maybe starting to fade.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,651 times
There were alot of factors, including the ones you mentioned. I don't think it was just the corporate assets and the cultural exports. It was also the allure of the west coast lifestyle, the clean air, the mountain and water views, etc....

I also think its just a natural cycle that cities go through, especially ones that are coming of age like Seattle. Even NYC in the 80's had a terrible rep, they couldn't pay people to visit. Flash forward about 15 years, all the crime has been cleaned up and NYC has never been so popular and dominant over popular culture. Seattle is still booming for what it is worth, just because it is no longer a media darling does not mean things are slowing down.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:04 AM

82 posts, read 354,906 times
I read about Seattle as having a strong "creative class". This is according to Richard Florida.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,129 times
Default Stay away from here!!!!

I heard so much about Seattle, how great it is, etc....
Now that we have moved there, I think it was the biggest mistaske we ever did! Life is too expensive,it s impossible to buy a house here. Everything is expensive! Yes, there are many things to do, but what can you do under the rain????

PLEASE DON T MOVE TO SEATTLE OR YOU ARE GOING TO GET DEPRESSED!!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:02 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,651 times
Oh lordy...

Old 04-17-2008, 05:02 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Oh lordy...
Backwhen I was in College I had heard a saying that went something like: There are so many different varities of cars with so many options because everyone is different, with their preferences.

And I'm starting to think that is true for cities and places to live. I had not thought about that before I moved to Seattle but I think about it alot now.

I think Seattle is great. I can "see" what others see about the wonderful things. I have absolutely no problem with this "Seattle Freeze" issue. But I do with the weather. BUT THAT"S MY PREFERENCE.

I would never tell a person to move here or not move here. Or that this place is good or bad. Because each person is different with their own set of things they like and dislike.

Just as people that are not enjoying their time in Seattle should not blame Seattle or it weather directly (complaining is fine though) but people who think ( or demean) as person's preference is not a good thing either.

Listen, Seattle is great - but it's not great for ME. I know that now, I've learned that - I'm trying to move. But I won't be extreme and say it's not a place for people to move because for all I know people asking opinions on this board could be polar opposities in likes and dislikes to me.

All I can do is tell my story, be honest, try not to be too negative, and let them take my opinion for what is it - I try to only say I have an opinion as a California Transplant.

But I'm not going to bash anyone either. Let's try to be mutually respectful eh?

Old 04-19-2008, 11:38 AM

3 posts, read 19,544 times
I've lived here for over 28 years on and off, every time I leave it I always end up missing it and have moved back twice. Im now older and realize I will never leave the place. It offers a little bit of everything weather wise. The natural beauty and the "the here and the now" of Seattle make it awesome. The seasons, and proximity to Vancouver BC/Whistler, the San Juans, Oregon are all near by. The cool neighborhoods, there are so many, QA,mag,CH,Madison Park, Madrona,Wallingford,Greenlake,Ballard,Fremont, Maple Leaf,Wedgewood, Lauralhurst, Roosevelt,U district Phinney, each one of these offer something unique and different. They all offer great views of the city in one form or other. Mt Views from everywhere. Anyway I could go on and on, its a cool place, hip and cosmopolitan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area