U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 AM

208 posts, read 324,417 times

Advertisements

I was listening to the Danny Bonaduce radio show, and there was a caller that called in complaining about the large meth problem in Seattle. She was tired of having to lock everything up due to the "meth heads" stealing everything.

Where in Seattle is this an issue...everywhere? Or just some areas? Mostly on the Eastside, or Renton, or Everett? Does anyone else feel that there are druggies everywhere? We are looking in areas like Ballard, Fremont, Queen Anne, Magnolia, North Capital Hill, Lake Union, Phinney Ridge, University District, etc. Any of these areas to be wary of?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:05 AM

9,638 posts, read 25,464,072 times
I'm not aware of a large meth problem in Seattle, but homes and cars do get burglarized, even in pretty good neighborhoods. We have a very low violent crime rate, but a not so low non violent crime rate. I don't see meth heads hanging out on the street, but sure, maybe it is drug habits that are the cause of all the burglaries.
The University district does have a pretty high burglary rate. Ballard and Fremont too. It doesn't mean you shouldn't live in those places. It does mean that you shouldn't leave valuables in your car. It does mean that you should lock your doors. And when you do move, join the local block watch. When there's an active block watch, with neighbors looking out for each other, crime is almost always lower.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:39 AM

90,517 posts, read 86,652,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamainfl View Post
I was listening to the Danny Bonaduce radio show, and there was a caller that called in complaining about the large meth problem in Seattle. She was tired of having to lock everything up due to the "meth heads" stealing everything.

Where in Seattle is this an issue...everywhere? Or just some areas? Mostly on the Eastside, or Renton, or Everett? Does anyone else feel that there are druggies everywhere? We are looking in areas like Ballard, Fremont, Queen Anne, Magnolia, North Capital Hill, Lake Union, Phinney Ridge, University District, etc. Any of these areas to be wary of?
Also look in Maple Leaf and Pinehurst/Victory Heights. Those are great family areas, no drug or crime issues. I wouldn't buy in the University District, unless it's close to Ravenna Park (north U District). Pinehurst/Victory Heights is very walkable, being close to a couple of shopping centers and not far from Northgate Mall, while being in a quiet and beautifully treed enclave. Homes and rents are a little more affordable there.

Old 01-22-2015, 12:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
35,967 posts, read 65,446,048 times
Don't leave your car parked on the streets or in the surface parking lots under the 99 viaduct in the Belltown/Market area, someone gets broken into almost daily. I have not seen or heard of any significant meth problems in Seattle, other than in the U district. That caller may have been generalizing. Not all thieves are on Meth.

The decline of meth in Washington: bye bye Walter White | Opinion Northwest | Seattle Times

Poltergeist Under Couple's Bed Turns Out to Be Meth Addict

Old 01-22-2015, 07:11 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,818,926 times
You listened to one caller on one show and assumed it was true? Seems like the first task would be to validate or disprove the claim, and then if validated, find out where. I don't think our meth problem here is any better or worse than the one in your town. That is to say, meth is everywhere and when meth addicts run out of money they often turn to crime. More specifically, property crimes. I sure wouldn't let it change your activities or where you go. As with most things, use common sense and maintain a high level of situational awareness at all times.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:40 PM

5,075 posts, read 9,820,033 times
It's actually a lot better than it was 10-15 years ago.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:26 AM

415 posts, read 425,119 times
My neighbor across the street complains that he has to share his apartment building with a meth dealer whose "customers" come calling all day and night with the accompanying trouble and mayhem. If you were interested in meth he could hook you up, but I'm not really interested in boosting the business here in my 'hood.

The "meth dealer" is a guy I'd have never have suspected of such. Besides me, he's the only other white guy in the neighborhood. He looks super clean-cut and he drives a car with "Pro-Life" vanity plates and bumper stickers. My neighbor reports that the meth dealer is also HIV+ and yours and my taxes pay his Section-8 rent subsidized apartment.

Looks deceive don't they...!

I don't really know my neighbors, but I do know that my first "houseguests" were when my new home was broken into twice just weeks after I took possession.

Welcome to Seattle sucker!

I guess that's how the Seattle Welcome Wagon operates.

My neighborhood is super diverse, whatever that's worth.
In my brief experience here that means little unity in the "comm-unity" and every man for himself.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:59 AM

208 posts, read 324,417 times
Treuphax, what area of town do you live?

Old 01-23-2015, 03:04 PM

909 posts, read 1,532,751 times
Capitol Hill was pretty methed out when I first moved here in 2005. I think it's declined since.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:07 PM

5,075 posts, read 9,820,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W & C View Post
Capitol Hill was pretty methed out when I first moved here in 2005. I think it's declined since.
That's what I remember. As the rave scene died it off seemed to coincide with a lot fewer tweakers in certain neighborhoods. Now it's around, but the visible users tend to be old derelicts more often than 20-something partiers and there aren't as many of them. I did see a really sick looking lesbian couple at a bus stop holding an infant a little while ago, both appeared to be heavy users. That's sad. But fortunately you don't see it very often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area