Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 08:02 AM

6 posts, read 12,241 times

Advertisements

Txs so much that helps….I believe that its a higher standard of living…but we will find that out soon enough. My husband just left already. My kids and I will leave in July…. So my husband has time to explore :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 AM

56 posts, read 74,891 times
We're from the Netherlands too, but no longer recent immigrants. We've been living in Silicon Valley for the past three plus years, and are moving up to the Seattle area in May.

Some things you should know as new immigrants: you will not have a credit score, at all. We had to put up a backing limit for a credit card, but were lucky enough to have access to an Amex card through my husband's employer, otherwise larger purchases would have been out of the question. You will also pay extra interest on any loans you may qualify for (car, etc) because you don't have an American credit history. It will take several years to build up to a decent score.

We ended up buying our first car pre-owned, and paid it in full. My husband started leasing our second smaller car a year later, when we had a credit score.

Be prepared to provide extra references and financial statements to a potential landlord. They won't be able to run background and credit checks on you in the American systems. Seattle area landlords may have some experience with other recent immigrants, which could work in your favor, but be prepared to do some extra convincing, especially if the property is popular. We were accepted to rent our first place here in SV because we provided extra financial information and references, and because our landlord was willing to trust us - they kind of go blind with no credit/rental history. We also made sure to pick a property which we could afford easily, which made us better candidates (financially speaking at least) than other applicants.

Which brings up the next point: aim low when it comes to cost of living. You can always move to a new rental if you find you have more money available. You will find that most things in the US are a lot cheaper than in the Netherlands. Except flying back home to visit family - expect that to cost a pretty penny... It'll cost us over $7000 for our family of four this summer.

Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions concerning the move to the US from NL.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:22 AM

8,164 posts, read 8,248,333 times
Even though you haven't asked about it, let me share this. In my opinion, the way of life in the Seattle area is much more European than many places in the states. Pub and soccer culture, buying food at farmers' markets, live and let live social beliefs. I find that my European clients who move here transition very well, many stay forever.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:35 PM

thanks that really helps.. my salary kinda puts me in between being ok and wachting it a bit.. this really helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
here's my take:

- cost of water
$75

- cost of electricity/Gas
$150

- Garbage
$50

- TV
$75

- Internet
$50

- cost of taxes related to the house when you are renting
(included in rent)

- other taxes which you need to pay (which are not automatically deducted from your salary but need to come from your net income)
(just sales tax which is something like 9.5% of whatever you buy)

- school for the kids
public school is free

- insurances (car, house, liability, travel etc)
$150

- car lease or maybe we should buy second hand
$400

rent for a house: $3000

As others have said, if you have a base salary of...

<$100k: don't move here
$100k-$125k: tough but you'll need a strict budget, some penny pinching, etc.
$125k-$175k: should be ok with minimal penny pinching
>$175k: you'll be fine, can save for retirement, etc.

in general, i think it's much cheaper here than europe but the USD is pretty strong these days so maybe that has changed a little bit.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:38 PM

thanks so much for sharing your experience! I finally arrived this week and am now putting the pieces together.. I am currently in a temp place provided by my employer and now spending this beautiful Sunday in Seattle adding up the numbers and getting a feel for our expenses :-)

I will definitely reach out to you once we have more questions!

thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anneeliot View Post
We're from the Netherlands too, but no longer recent immigrants. We've been living in Silicon Valley for the past three plus years, and are moving up to the Seattle area in May.

Some things you should know as new immigrants: you will not have a credit score, at all. We had to put up a backing limit for a credit card, but were lucky enough to have access to an Amex card through my husband's employer, otherwise larger purchases would have been out of the question. You will also pay extra interest on any loans you may qualify for (car, etc) because you don't have an American credit history. It will take several years to build up to a decent score.

We ended up buying our first car pre-owned, and paid it in full. My husband started leasing our second smaller car a year later, when we had a credit score.

Be prepared to provide extra references and financial statements to a potential landlord. They won't be able to run background and credit checks on you in the American systems. Seattle area landlords may have some experience with other recent immigrants, which could work in your favor, but be prepared to do some extra convincing, especially if the property is popular. We were accepted to rent our first place here in SV because we provided extra financial information and references, and because our landlord was willing to trust us - they kind of go blind with no credit/rental history. We also made sure to pick a property which we could afford easily, which made us better candidates (financially speaking at least) than other applicants.

Which brings up the next point: aim low when it comes to cost of living. You can always move to a new rental if you find you have more money available. You will find that most things in the US are a lot cheaper than in the Netherlands. Except flying back home to visit family - expect that to cost a pretty penny... It'll cost us over $7000 for our family of four this summer.

Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions concerning the move to the US from NL.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 AM

172 posts, read 177,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
here's my take:

- cost of water
$75

- cost of electricity/Gas
$150

- Garbage
$50

- TV
$75

- Internet
$50

- cost of taxes related to the house when you are renting
(included in rent)

- other taxes which you need to pay (which are not automatically deducted from your salary but need to come from your net income)
(just sales tax which is something like 9.5% of whatever you buy)

- school for the kids
public school is free

- insurances (car, house, liability, travel etc)
$150

- car lease or maybe we should buy second hand
$400

rent for a house: $3000

As others have said, if you have a base salary of...

<$100k: don't move here
$100k-$125k: tough but you'll need a strict budget, some penny pinching, etc.
$125k-$175k: should be ok with minimal penny pinching
>$175k: you'll be fine, can save for retirement, etc.

in general, i think it's much cheaper here than europe but the USD is pretty strong these days so maybe that has changed a little bit.

Why so many Americans think that living in the U.S. is cheaper than in Europe?

Base salary needed for a family of 4 in Düsseldorf:

<€25k: don't move here
€25k-€50k: tough but you'll need a strict budget, some penny pinching, etc.
€50k-€75k: should be ok with minimal penny pinching
>€75k: you'll be fine, can save for retirement, etc.

water + sevage: €40
electricity + heating: €170
garbage: €25
TV+internet+phone: €40
a decent sized 4 or 5 room apartment in an upscale neighborhood: €1,300

free child care
free college educatoin
almost no cost for health care

Most Americans seem to have very strange perceptions about the cost of living in Europe.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:28 AM

300 posts, read 412,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
Why so many Americans think that living in the U.S. is cheaper than in Europe?

Base salary needed for a family of 4 in Düsseldorf:

<€25k: don't move here
€25k-€50k: tough but you'll need a strict budget, some penny pinching, etc.
€50k-€75k: should be ok with minimal penny pinching
>€75k: you'll be fine, can save for retirement, etc.

water + sevage: €40
electricity + heating: €170
garbage: €25
TV+internet+phone: €40
a decent sized 4 or 5 room apartment in an upscale neighborhood: €1,300

free child care
free college educatoin
almost no cost for health care

Most Americans seem to have very strange perceptions about the cost of living in Europe.
We have visited many countries in Europe. I have noticed that it costs more to live at Europ than US in general for the similar living conditions.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:50 AM

50 posts, read 92,346 times
Just FYI, there is a fairly sizable Dutch community here. This is the website: Dutch Seattle - Voor en Door Hollanders in de Pacific Northwest

Old 07-02-2015, 02:55 PM

172 posts, read 177,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom331 View Post
We have visited many countries in Europe. I have noticed that it costs more to live at Europ than US in general for the similar living conditions.

That seems extremely strange. People here in this thread say you shouldn't move to Seattle with an income below $100k. Is there a place in Europe where a family of 4 can't live well with an annual gross salary of $100k or €90k? Besides Switzerland and Norway? Maybe London could get a little bit tough, but everywhere else you can live a very decent lifestyle with such a salary.

I only can compare prices in Germany with those in the U.S. What is cheaper in the U.S.?

Fuel cost much more in Germany. But you will drive much less than in the U.S. The average German household spends €104 per month for fuel. Compared to $230 in the U.S.

Utilities cost much more in Germany. But you will consume much less electricitiy, water and gas. The average German household spends €155 on utilities per month. Compared to $304 in the U.S.

Name brand clothing and most consumer electronic products are cheaper in the U.S. But how much spend the average household on such things per month? Maybe $200 or $300, maybe you will be able to save $100 compared to Germany.

I think that was all. Everything else seems to be similar priced or a lot more expensive in the U.S.

Fees for TV, internet, phone and cell phone plans cost nearly 3 times more in the U.S.
Food at grocery stores cost about 40% more in the U.S.
Most building materials at Home Depot cost about double the price what they cost at German DIY stores.
The cost for car insurance are nearly twice as much.
Toiletries and household goods are also a lot more expensive in the U.S.
Rents are difficult to compare. When I compare the cheapest places in Germany with the cheapest places in the U.S. and compare the most expensive places in Germany with the most expensive places in the U.S. I would guess that rents are about 50% more expensive in the U.S. I live in Düsseldorf and pay about €550 per month for a modern 68m² apartment in a nice neighborhood. What can I get for this amount in cities like Seattle or Boston?
And don't forget health care costs, child care and college fees.

This forum is full of threads were American singles are unable to make ends meet with a monthly net income of $3,000. In Germany you can live quite well with €1.500 per month. Maybe not in some cities with very high rents (Munich, Hamburg).

Of course it really depends on the exchange rate and most eastern and northern European countries are more expensive than Germany.

http://www.bls.gov/cex/csxann13.pdf

https://www.destatis.de/DE/Publikati...ublicationFile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area