Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 486 times

Advertisements

King County is known in our times, not as a place whose glory lies in a fading past, but as a harbinger of how America is living into a bright future. Along with many other advances, King County has tried to erase the smudges left on our history by segregation and the internment of Americans of Japanese descent. A county known for progressive visions could hardly keep as its own the name of William Rufus de Vane King, who claimed ownership of >500 slaves. True, he was technically Vice-president in 1852, when the county was established by the territorial legislature--but he never acted in that role, was ill in Cuba when elected, took the oath of office on March 24 there, and died at his Alabama plantation on April 18, 1853, two days after returning home. Martin Luther King, Jr, is better suited to what King County WA aspires to be. Joseph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 03:30 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,198,110 times
Old post but the answer is the same: virtue signaling

Old 03-09-2019, 07:49 PM

489 posts, read 963,552 times
I find it odd when a city names a street after a notable person who has no real ties to the city.

-Mike

Old 03-09-2019, 08:34 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
The original guy had never been here. MLK was here, and played a role in our local history. So what do you prefer:

1. Slave owner who was never here, because why not.

2. National hero who was here, and has meaning to a lot of people.

3. Renaming the county to something other than "King" at enormous expense and hassle.

I'm guessing that some people haven't thought this through.

Old 03-10-2019, 09:43 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Old post but the answer is the same: virtue signaling
I'll take that kind of virtue anyday, acknowledging a wonderful man who helped bring justice/changes to an entire segment of our society. Interesting article that mentions the original man the county was named for (who had never been here) and the shift to use MLK's name: https://www.seattlemet.com/articles/...lways-that-way

As we took their land, it almost seems more appropriate that we would have named the county a Native American name. You probably would have been more supportive of that, thatguy. .

Last edited by homesinseattle; 03-10-2019 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-10-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I'll take that kind of virtue anyday, acknowledging a wonderful man who helped bring justice/changes to an entire segment of our society. Interesting article that mentions the original man the county was named for (who had never been here) and the shift to use MLK's name: https://www.seattlemet.com/articles/...lways-that-way

As we took their land, it almost seems more appropriate that we would have named the county a Native American name. You probably would have been more supportive of that, thatguy. .
So what about the native tribes that took land from one another before “we”’showed up? How far back should we take it?

Old 03-10-2019, 02:02 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
So what about the native tribes that took land from one another before “we”’showed up? How far back should we take it?
I was being a bit tongue in cheek, thatguy. MLk Jr was a good guy, don't you think?

Old 03-10-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I was being a bit tongue in cheek, thatguy. MLk Jr was a good guy, don't you think?
Yeah, but I guess I was just saying these kinds of things are a bit silly in the grand scheme of things, if taxpayers don’t have to fund it sure, but when your tax dollars go towards these things it seems a bit wasteful

Old 03-10-2019, 03:48 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,008,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
...Not pertinent to this discussion but of historical interest, WR King was likely gay and was widely rumored during his lifetime to have had a relationship with James Buchanan, the only bachelor president in US. history.
President Andrew Jackson called Buchanan and King "Miss Nancy and Miss Fancy."

It is pertinent. I do believe there may have been some homophobia at play in the name change. How could they have not have known that King was the only gay VP in US history?

One of the prominent leaders pushing for the name change was a minister at a large black church in Seattle. Granted, I'm painting with a broad-brush here, but in my experience ministers in African-American churches tend to be very intolerant of homosexuality. Take just one example--Rev. Al Sharpton's denigration of "Greek homos" in a diatribe on history.

Incidentally, IIRC the name change cost about $400,000 to change signage, logos painted on county vehicles, etc.

Old 03-11-2019, 10:01 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Well after reading up about William Rufus King, I can see why they would be willing to change. He doesn't line up very well with modern cultural values for the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area