Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 04:09 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Must you post name-calling about people you disagree with politically? I don't agree with all of the Tea Party's positions either, but can't you take a moment to try to understand their point of view, rather than opening with insults and alienation? I can certainly see getting a rant out of your system, but after a while, don't you get tired of the hate?
He was replying to someone referring to "pretentious white liberal pricks". That sort of makes "try to understand their point of view" rather moot. In comparison, resorting to a "Tea-Baggers" taunt seems rather restrained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 04:47 PM

157 posts, read 306,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
Yes, I'm sure lots of college educated folks will be rushing to land a $30,000 a year job. I know that's a fortune to shotgun-toting good ol boys in NC but it's starvation wages here.
Ah, NC, home of moderate politics, where the Tea-Baggers are in firm control of the legislature and governor's mansion and they try to ban abortions, restrict voting rights, ban unions, and make sure teachers don't earn more than $15 an hour so their children don't get over-educated. Sounds like you'll fit in real fine back there, bless your heart.
You don't know much about NC, do you? It voted for Obama in 08, Romney barely won in 12, it's elected several Democrat Senators and congressmen, and the whole Research Triangle area full of tech companies and California expats is very blue. South Carolina is a different situation. NC is rapidly becoming a purple state and is much more contentious than it was in the time of Jesse Helms.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:01 PM

52 posts, read 114,288 times
Sorry to ruin your thread, but as usual, the facts have a clear liberal bias.

Of the seven restaurants specifically mentioned in Seattle Magazine's March 4 post, one was reported by its owner to be located in the wrong neighborhood for its particular mix of bar space and atmosphere. Another is being offloaded by an owner who has three other restaurants in the city and is opening two more. (A neighboring restaurant is expanding into its space.) A third turned out to be too big for the clientele at its location. Three aren't closing at all, but are getting new chefs because their old boss is moving to Spain to join his partner.

How many owners cited the minimum wage as a factor in their actions? None.

No, the minimum wage isn't forcing these Seattle restaurants to close - LA Times

Old 03-19-2015, 05:07 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Patrizio View Post
You don't know much about NC, do you? It voted for Obama in 08, Romney barely won in 12, it's elected several Democrat Senators and congressmen, and the whole Research Triangle area full of tech companies and California expats is very blue. South Carolina is a different situation. NC is rapidly becoming a purple state and is much more contentious than it was in the time of Jesse Helms.
I believe NC is going the other way. It probably won't help their tech growth honestly but that's another topic.

318 posts, read 628,512 times
Quote:
I do know a little about NC, having lived there until a year ago. I guess you didn't notice the NC in my sign-on name. NC did narrowly go for Obama in his first election, but in the past couple of years reversed on Obama, elected a conservative governor and a conservative majority in the legislature. The majority then voted in a series of conservative laws, including abortion restrictions and voter ID laws. That has prompted a series of Moral Monday protests by liberal and religious leaders,
In addition, once you get outside of the research triangle and Asheville, much of the state is very conservative and the Tea Party has been especially successful in controlling local governments. There have been a number of stories about conservatives in county government passing restrictive voter ID laws in obvious attempts to disenfranchise minorities and students, who tend to vote for liberals.
That may not be the NC you're familiar with, but it's the NC I saw.

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
NC went blue in 2008, but not 2012. Its governor, both senators, and 9 of 13 representatives are Republicans. Granted its politics are not dominated by the Tea Party (although some of its politicians are), unlike South Carolina.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coregis View Post
Sorry to ruin your thread, but as usual, the facts have a clear liberal bias.

Of the seven restaurants specifically mentioned in Seattle Magazine's March 4 post, one was reported by its owner to be located in the wrong neighborhood for its particular mix of bar space and atmosphere. Another is being offloaded by an owner who has three other restaurants in the city and is opening two more. (A neighboring restaurant is expanding into its space.) A third turned out to be too big for the clientele at its location. Three aren't closing at all, but are getting new chefs because their old boss is moving to Spain to join his partner.

How many owners cited the minimum wage as a factor in their actions? None.

No, the minimum wage isn't forcing these Seattle restaurants to close - LA Times
You're right but that doesn't support opinions by outsiders so they cherry pick.

On the positive side though, if it serves as a barrier for those same outsiders, that's a bonus. Traffic is busy enough.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:20 PM

318 posts, read 628,512 times
Quote:
Ah, I see. You're in California, right? Just trying to get a rise out of us folks up in Washington? Looks like you succeeded.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:22 PM

480 posts, read 844,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I have seen judgements about the Seattle minimum wage discussed in every conceivable type of media. Yet very few of those live in Seattle, much less Washington State. We have one vocal poster that lives here and wants to move to North Carolina. But judging from their posts, they are more suited to the South anyway.
So you were making a sideways remark about another poster, and about people commenting in other media, in your response to what I said here? And you did that because I don't live in Seattle. Okay. :-)

Quote:
Maybe Seattle is unique in that a lot of people want to live there, the costs are going up, the housing availability is very slim and politically, the city believes the minimum wage should be raised. They further, made the implementation drag out several years. They have plenty of time to adjust something if need be. If they saw a negative trend, they could push implementation out further even.
The political movement to raise minimum wages is widespread. I'm commenting about it here in the Seattle forum because Seattle had a highly public ordinance on the issue. If I'd stumbled on this thread in the Phoenix forum, that's where you'd see me posting.

But let's explore what you're saying here. "If they saw a negative trend..." means that they would necessarily have to connect the minimum wage law to the trend. Using the posts here as a measure, where observations about potential negative consequences are ridiculed, how exactly would they make the connection that they need to change anything? Restaurant closures happen all the time, so it's virtually impossible to make a concrete association between the relative importance of the minimum wage law and the reasons a restaurant closed.

No, I think it's impossibly unlikely that they would revisit this, because like the ACA, they built the law for political purposes, not for economic reasons. Something would have to change politically, and I don't see Seattle swinging Libertarian or pro-business any time soon. :-)

Quote:
You may not agree with Seattle but the posts and columns I've seen that predict the apocalypse don't live here. By the time it all rolls out, the amount will likely not seem so much and if it does, we add a couple of years. Big deal.
I'm not sure whether I agree with Seattle. I'm pretty sure I don't, but I'm not certain. A lot of my curiosity about this sort of thing comes from what I think of as the "durability" of an area. Every business can absorb a certain amount of government intrusion, but some things push businesses beyond their durability. Businesses pushed beyond their durability will leave, or close, or stop growing, or what have you. For example, I've noticed gun manufacturers leaving blue states, Polaris left Minnesota, and Boeing set up a plant in South Carolina.

In all of those cases, even with tons of local connections and local conversations, the business made a decision. It had to have been based on some combination of things that the business perceived as causing them harm in some way.

I'm not sure that it's reasonable to assume that this minimum wage law is going to be harmless.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 PM

480 posts, read 844,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
He was replying to someone referring to "pretentious white liberal pricks". That sort of makes "try to understand their point of view" rather moot. In comparison, resorting to a "Tea-Baggers" taunt seems rather restrained.
Look up "tu quoque" some time. :-) In other words, provocation doesn't create justification.

And I totally missed the "pretentious" comment - that was out of line, too. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area