Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2015, 12:40 PM

40 posts, read 95,983 times

Advertisements

I searched on Craigslist and only saw ~$1500 for 2-3y/o and ~$1000 for 4-5y/o. I found my current daycare through word of mouth so I thought I'd try asking.

On a side note, does Washington state offer Pre-K (I think it's also called transitional kindergarten) in their public schools?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 01:50 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
Well, lets put it this way. My wife's company has an employee assistance department that will do various things like call and find daycare. They called over 100 providers in Renton and the surrounding areas and only found 6 home day cares or facilities that had an opening in April and was less than $1500 a month. Child care is expensive and difficult to find out there.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:13 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
2 toddlers for less than 1600/mo definitely seems to be a bit low, even with a sibling discount. My sister was so thrilled to find a place that charged $1200/mo for her young toddler... and that's just one child a few years ago.

Sidenote ??: Look into your local school district called "Headstart", its a preK program.

Old 03-22-2015, 05:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
That $1,600 figure is at the low end, and hard to find for just one kid. Most people here would not use Craigslist to find child care, but would get recommendations from trusted friends and get on the waiting lists. Often before the baby is even born.

There is some Pre-K, but it's very limited and again, long waiting lists or a lottery, and it's not free. Our public schools charge $3000/year.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:01 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Combination of licensing requirements making it extremely difficult to open new daycare centers and spiking demand from families moving into the area.

Quote:
Parents are choosing anything from joining a nanny share, hiring college-aged babysitters, exchanging care with neighbors or friends, arranging alternate work schedules, taking sick days, using drop-in care, engaging multiple care situations, moving closer to family or moving their extended family members closer to help with care.
King County's daycare dilemma | Crosscut

Old 03-24-2015, 03:56 PM

292 posts, read 1,448,267 times
Have you considered an Au Pair? It works out to cost right about $1600/mo, per family, not per child.

We are in the south King County area and are very lucky to have found a wonderful child care facility for $238 a week (this is an employer based program that is also open to the public and was our first choice based on factors other than cost). My husband checked places near where he works downtown and it was over double that.

I think it's a function of rent/housing prices. Overhead in prime areas is too high go less than that.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:32 AM

40 posts, read 95,983 times
Hi everyone! Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
2 toddlers for less than 1600/mo definitely seems to be a bit low, even with a sibling discount. My sister was so thrilled to find a place that charged $1200/mo for her young toddler... and that's just one child a few years ago.

Sidenote ??: Look into your local school district called "Headstart", its a preK program.
I make too much to qualify for Headstart but not enough to pay market rate for daycare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That $1,600 figure is at the low end, and hard to find for just one kid. Most people here would not use Craigslist to find child care, but would get recommendations from trusted friends and get on the waiting lists. Often before the baby is even born.

There is some Pre-K, but it's very limited and again, long waiting lists or a lottery, and it's not free. Our public schools charge $3000/year.
I've heard of people putting their kids on waiting list as soon as they find out they're pregnant. I understand the high demand of daycare. I know how using Craigslist to find daycare sounds (lol). It turned out really well for us; maybe we got lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Combination of licensing requirements making it extremely difficult to open new daycare centers and spiking demand from families moving into the area.

King County's daycare dilemma | Crosscut
I heard King County's daycare affordability and availability are equivalent to the SF Bay Area's, where I'm living now. Definitely tough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel View Post
Have you considered an Au Pair? It works out to cost right about $1600/mo, per family, not per child.

We are in the south King County area and are very lucky to have found a wonderful child care facility for $238 a week (this is an employer based program that is also open to the public and was our first choice based on factors other than cost). My husband checked places near where he works downtown and it was over double that.

I think it's a function of rent/housing prices. Overhead in prime areas is too high go less than that.
I would use an Au Pair if that's the only option I can afford. Yep, totally open to it. I like the social aspect of daycare though. Are there like "Au Pair share" (like nanny share)?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:07 AM

8 posts, read 10,177 times
Lots of Stay at home moms pick up families for care as a supplement to their spouses income and as a way for thier own children to play with others often. in fact, I may know a few women who would be ready for a family. Whereabouts are you in WA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: