Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:17 PM

413 posts, read 786,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
god help us all...culture? where?
North of Kentucky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 11:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,169,107 times
Now your talking culture. Blue Grass, Bourbon, and BBQ and the birth place of OL' Abe himself.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bowen View Post
There are a bunch: So Much Soccer Bar Goodness

All the places on the first page of results are good options.
Thanks! 😎⚽️⚽️

Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 AM

8,157 posts, read 8,219,616 times
folkguitarist555, you should go catch a match. They are great fun, and very much "culture", just like good folk guitar. I happen to love both. I bet if you brought your guitar to the match, the fine folks of Seattle would love you. Statistics say (well, the ones I just made up do) that there are a much higher percentage of folk guitar lovers at soccer matches than any other professional sporting event. I also loved bluegrass, bourbon and BBQ, have roots in North Carolina. Go Sounders!

Last edited by homesinseattle; 04-26-2015 at 01:04 AM..

Old 04-26-2015, 03:56 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,169,107 times
Spiritually, Im already gone. Next month, I will be physically gone. I have done my time in Seattle, and can honestly say I am exhilarated about finally leaving western WA. thanks though.

Old 04-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Hope you have some good memories, folkguitarist. I have been here 25 years. Seattle has changed in some ways I don't like, changed in other ways I like a lot. Perspective still exists for me when I drive any direction to a trailhead (my favorite are the mossy trees way out the Middle Fork River past North Bend) and get lost in the woods quickly.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 8,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Spiritually, Im already gone. Next month, I will be physically gone. I have done my time in Seattle, and can honestly say I am exhilarated about finally leaving western WA. thanks though.
folkguitarist555- where are you relocating to?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:28 AM

603 posts, read 873,760 times
I just can't understand why Seattle loves soccer so much. It's not really popular anywhere else in the country except for here and Portland. I know this will rustle some feathers but despite being a big football, hockey, baseball, and hockey fan; I just can't stand how boring soccer is to watch. To each his own though, I'm glad to see so many people enjoying the Sounders.

Old 04-27-2015, 06:22 AM

Ever go to a match, Seatown1? They are great. Soccer is indeed growing in popularity not just here but all over the country. I am an old school baseball and football lover who has also developed a love for soccer. Probably helps that I played it when I was younger. I'll make no argument with you that Seattle has a particular love for soccer, there are a number of things that I think contribute to that:

1) The stadium is fantastic, just beautiful. The Sounders are amazingly drawing 45,000 plus per match, I think I read that is we were in soccer mad England, that would make us number 6 in attendance in their professional leagues, impressive. The stadium is also capable of holding 70,000, more fans come each year.

2) The Sounders are VERY friendly and engaged with their fan base. The famous comedian and minority owner Drew Carey is partially responsible for this. From the "march to the match" to the most excellent "Sound Wave" marching band, to giving voting rights to nurturing and giving voting right to ECS https://www.weareecs.com/, the way the club and ownership has conducted itself is a master stroke of marketing.

3) The team has money and is making gobs more. They have spent the money to get great, top name players in here.

4) The stealing of the Sonics (very sad) from Seattle certainly wasn't a bad thing for helping grow the Sounders base.

5) Okay, the game, and why people like it. It is so hard to explain to a non soccer fan why soccer is neat. So aften, I hear "lack of scoring" bandied about by soccer deniers. I'll make no argument there. Soccer is about nuance, art, passing, strategy, endurance, athleticism, with sheer, short bursts of brilliance. Here are a couple articles that might help: 7 Reasons Why We Love Soccer | Bleacher Report. This person says it well " there are so many reasons... first, you cannot figure out the outcome of a game after having merely looked at the rosters; the unpredictable nature of the game keeps the suspens alive until the ref blows the final whistle; moreover, the almost inexistent influence of the coaches during the 90 minutes of the game allows the players to express themselves to their fullest and to rely on their intelligence as well as on their physical abilities (you have to be able to run nonstop back and forth along the sideline for at least 45 minutes). The only things you need to play soccer is a ball (or anything round), 2 posts (which can be two rocks big enough or two bottles), and a bunch of friends; it is the simplest game ever yet the most enjoyable. Soccer doesn't discriminate: you can be rich or poor, ugly or handsome, tall or short, skinny or fat, it doesn't matter as long as you can kick the ball between the posts. Soccer is THE team sport: you can't win a game by yourself, (you can't pass the ball to yourself); it is the only sport where everybody can attack, defend AND score and where the final result doesn't depend on some sort of superplayer".

6) Soccer pubs, they are just great, fun congenial places. And where else can a guy wear a scarf in a pub and get away with it?

7) Travel/international sensibilities. Make no mistake, soccer is "the" game of the world. Seattle people are travelers, I think more connected to the outside world than many places in America. Hence, the love.

8) That's a few reasons. I'll let some others pick it up here. Just go to a match sometime, "march" to the match, chill out with some real fans, dance to the Sound Wave after, hang out in soccer pubs, especially during huge international matches like the world cup. You will find people from ALL over the world (who live in Seattle) watching, celebrating. That many people can't be wrong. Once people really let go of their snarkiness toward soccer, resistance is futile .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area