Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:31 PM

323 posts, read 448,977 times

Advertisements

"Why would Californians come here if they really want California?"

Good point. I think most of the ones that have moved here like WA for what it is, or was, when they got here, more than CA. Other than increasing the population here, I don't know of any other negative influence they've had, CA centric or otherwise. Perhaps natives are, or were, concerned about suburban sprawl back in the 80s and 90s, when Californian hostility was most prominent. Sprawl being more common to CA metro areas back then. Had the primary influx been from Texas, the slogan might have been "don't Texicate WA".

I suppose the Indians in the 19th century were thinking "don't white-icate our land". My forefathers arrived here between 1870 and 1890 to build a better life in the wide open spaces, certainly not to spread their New York or Arkansas cultures. At that point the whites were happy to see more settlers conquer the land and sea and its endless resources, and further dominate the Indians. Likewise, Washingtonians with deep roots are being dominated by newcomers. In 2010 only 47% of WA residents were born in WA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 02:26 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Turning WA into CA means taking away a W, and replacing it with a C.
It didn't take me long upon arriving here in 1977 to hear the phrase "Californication".
California has a huge population, so whatever Californians do, it's going to have an impact.
We can't really help where we are born. I didn't choose to be born in New Jersey( which is leading the United States in people leaving. Fortunately, very few of them are coming here). Should there be some rule, forcing people from California to stay there? It wouldn't be fair to them, especially if California is going to fall into the ocean or dry up, or whatever. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen to California. Some people love California, and plenty of people are still moving there. Maybe those are the ones we force to stay there, but not the folks who have lived in California for a while, and are ready to leave.
Where are they supposed to go? Why shouldn't they want to go to a nice place like the Seattle area?
I know, part of the reason home prices are so high is the influx of Californians with too much money. There was also a big influx of Californians with very little money. They're everywhere. They live amongst us. They've been coming here since the 1850's. As big an influence as Scandinavians and Asians have had on the Seattle area, Californians are right up there. No reason to hate them. They are us. For the record, I think Californians are swell. Wait..., there's 39 million people in California? And they're all alike, hellbent on destroying our sacred way of life up here?

Old 04-25-2015, 02:34 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Wait..., there's 39 million people in California? And they're all alike, hellbent on destroying our sacred way of life up here?
Yes, that's The Plan. And you'll be eating alfalfa sprouts, too - check out page 43, paragraph 5

Old 04-25-2015, 04:03 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
This type of stuff:

California Proposition 13 (1978) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-25-2015, 09:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Yes, good old Proposition 13, which is a great help to people moving here with cash to buy a house. We have friends that bought their CA house in the late 80s for 185k, and are still in it. Thanks to Prop 13 their taxes are about $2,000/year, despite a value of 1.3 million. Our house is a little bigger but only worth about half of that, and our taxes are $6,000.

Are there really any Seattle natives? Of all the people I have met, friends and co-workers, the closest to a native is one employee of mine from Arlington. everyone else I have met here in 20 years has been from another state or country, other than one from Moses Lake and one from Pasco.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:32 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Washington Voters approved I-747 along the lines of Prop 13...

Old 04-27-2015, 09:52 AM

91 posts, read 126,056 times
Speaking for myself only Washington can not ever be turned into California. There is nothing like waking up in the morning to fresh, clean ocean air and crisp, bright invigorating Cali sun. Or occasional fog in the morning to wake up your spirits. Golden yellow colors in the evening and warm and dry shirtless summer nights. Hollywood or Nob Hill, concrete surface freeways with everyone going 90 in calm and orderly ways. Warm California coast cosmopolitan glamor versus rainy poverty hippie-redneck Washington coast, very different. Not to mention Oakland nothink like that here.
Now Washington has its natural beauty but it is very different. You have to like dark deep colors, furry forests, moss and moisture, arid landscapes of the east and you have to be more temperature resilient and like short winter days. I like both places, moved here in 1994 and I would like to move to California once again during my life time.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:52 PM

268 posts, read 366,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I came for Washington.
Your passion seems to be for Seattle, not Washington. Certainly, you would receive more diverse and appropriate responses by posting in the Washington forum.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:20 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by umropantelija View Post
Hollywood or Nob Hill, concrete surface freeways with everyone going 90 in calm and orderly ways.
You're not talking about Los Angeles, are you? Its freeways are legendary for being parking lots during "rush" hour -- which begins before 3 p.m., and lasts till almost 8 p.m. No one in L.A. goes 90 on the freeway, except perhaps in the wee hours of the morning.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:57 AM

368 posts, read 695,633 times
It's ironic that people move here to get a break in the cost of living, as Seattle is well on it's way to being one of the most expensive areas in the country. Your reprieve won't be too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area