Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 01:40 PM

329 posts, read 1,028,608 times

Advertisements

Let's say compared to 5 - 10 years ago...do you think Seattle's nightlife for young people has improved? A lot of people used to say it was one of the most boring cities in the US for clubbing. Do you think cooler bars and clubs have started to open? Is it getting a little more sophisticated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 01:44 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Depends on your definition of "young" and "improved". Options have certainly gotten more sophisticated, is that a good thing? I'll take a classic, great live music place any day like the Tractor Tavern in Ballard or Nectar in Fremont, a little rough around the edges. Guess that makes me old.

In fairness, there are some great club and big city feeling options now. I will admit I like that sometimes. My favorite is Contour on 1st, small enough to enjoy, but with great DJs and friendly people. For LA or Vegas style, Aston Manor is fun. Everyone needs a little EDM once in awhile.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 04-27-2015 at 02:40 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 01:56 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Depends on your definition of "improved". It certainly has gotten more sophisticated, is that a good thing? I'll take a classic place, a little rough around the edges. Guess that makes me old. In fairness, there are some great club and big city feeling options now. I will admit I like that sometimes. My favorite is Contour on 1st, small enough to enjoy, but with great DJs and friendly people, Everyone needs a little EDM once in awhile.
You think YOU'RE old? What's EDM?

There are many more venues to hear music, more clubs than they're used to be. But I wouldn't know what's cool if I tripped over it.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:19 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
You think YOU'RE old? What's EDM?

There are many more venues to hear music, more clubs than they're used to be. But I wouldn't know what's cool if I tripped over it.
Electronic Dance Music..

Ira, time to ship you off to the retirement home

Old 04-27-2015, 02:44 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Let's say compared to 5 - 10 years ago...do you think Seattle's nightlife for young people has improved? A lot of people used to say it was one of the most boring cities in the US for clubbing. Do you think cooler bars and clubs have started to open? Is it getting a little more sophisticated?
It's changed a bit. I don't know about "better"- it depends.

I don't think of "clubbing" as "sophisticated". To me, "sophisticated" would be something like The Hideout, Zig Zag, Vito's, or The Sorrento Hotel. Seattle's had these kind of places for some time, and added a few on in recent years.

But then, at 37, I'm at the tail end of "young people" I guess.

I've lived here since the late 90's and I've always thought Seattle had pretty good nightlife (for a medium size West Coast city; obviously we're not NYC) as long as the whole flashy velvet rope/$450 bottle service thing isn't what you're seeking. That's never been predominant in Seattle- it's long been about live music, beer, and neighborhood bars. And that's fine by me- a good band, a good beer or well-made cocktail, and/or some good conversation and I'm happy.

Last edited by BATCAT; 04-27-2015 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-27-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Electronic Dance Music..

Ira, time to ship you off to the retirement home
My father lives in a retirement place, and I often park in the space marked "Future Resident."
True, they don't play electronic dance music there. But why aren't retirement homes playing the Stones or the Grateful Dead? There's a large, untapped market: A rock and roll retirement home. And with legal marijuana? Somebody's going to make some money. There's gold in them thar hills.

Old 04-27-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
My father lives in a retirement place, and I often park in the space marked "Future Resident."
True, they don't play electronic dance music there. But why aren't retirement homes playing the Stones or the Grateful Dead? There's a large, untapped market: A rock and roll retirement home. And with legal marijuana? Somebody's going to make some money. There's gold in them thar hills.
Great business idea Ira... I'll go in halves with you on that.. Offer live 60s/70s rock band/hippie genre music in the club room while they play checkers and bingo. Marijuana and booze will also be included in the monthly dues for the community. There will be different themes, like a Woodstock themed retirement home or a Dead Tour themed retirement home. Perhaps, they can even have some of those members with a green thumb keep up a marijuana nursery on the property..

Now, if we could only legalize Mushrooms and LSD, we really could make a killing.. Nothing like having a fun trip in your golden years without even having to take a vacation..

Old 04-27-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Great business idea Ira... I'll go in halves with you on that.. Offer live 60s/70s rock band/hippie genre music in the club room while they play checkers and bingo. Marijuana and booze will also be included in the monthly dues for the community. There will be different themes, like a Woodstock themed retirement home or a Dead Tour themed retirement home. Perhaps, they can even have some of those members with a green thumb keep up a marijuana nursery on the property..

Now, if we could only legalize Mushrooms and LSD, we really could make a killing.. Nothing like having a fun trip in your golden years without even having to take a vacation..
Just sayin ,though: I know you're a gun guy, but in our rock and roll retirement home, we probably want to have gun control. When people have dementia, and hands shake, and they're getting high....

Old 04-27-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Just sayin ,though: I know you're a gun guy, but in our rock and roll retirement home, we probably want to have gun control. When people have dementia, and hands shake, and they're getting high....
I agree about Gun Control, they should use two hands instead of one, especially when you are high!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: