Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:00 PM

158 posts, read 450,802 times

Advertisements

Our daughter is enrolled in Tacoma's Waldorf school, but since we are moving to Seattle, she obviously cannot go there. We missed the deadlines for every single private pre-K school out there, and there's no such thing as public pre-K schools that I can find. There are early admissions guidelines, but the district has not released information (though they say on their web site they would on April 1).

We are moving to West Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 04:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
it was a zillion yrs ago, but my 4 yr olds were being read to and with minimum of 2 hrs // day. 10+ hrs were for PLAY (I worked nights (20+ yrs) so I could be home on our farm during the day with kids.)

We swam a lot, bicycled, backpacked, ran a farm (kids were in charge of the chickens by age 4). The kids were very engaged and responsibly assisting with disabled grandparent living with us.

Traveled... a few 10,000 mile trips in a VW camper van while kids were age 0+ to-age 5.
Many international and USA flights Pre-age 5.

Started homeschooling (officially at age 5 and lived in many countries and circumstances) Kids did ALL the shopping / budgeting / most money changing / travel planning and budget.

Kids were 'indentured' into a 'skilled trade' & trading stocks in their self directed IRA's by age 12, Designed homes on CAD age 12, Built their own homes age 14-15, went to college at age 15.

Nothing special, just being a family.

Far from perfect. do what works (naturally, not imposed) Do it together.

Kids are resilient and should have LOTS of responsibility and PLAY.

Kids probably are pretty well established in behavior and expectations by age 4.

Of course one of the most valuable experiences was living on and being responsible for a farm / animals / crops / customers (4-H handbooks / ...)

Old 05-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Not at all what I was asking, but sounds nice haha

Old 05-01-2015, 08:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Parents, what are you doing with your 4 year olds?
There might be another reader on this board that has a 4 yr old...

Last trip to Ft Mason Youth Hostel in SF coincided with a west coast Waldorf convention.

No comment.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:34 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Mine was in part-time pre-K and we also did additional classes - gymnastics, swimming, soccer. If I wasn't paying for preschool I would've put that money towards some more classes to keep him occupied and with some structure - maybe art, music, and some sort of school prep; check community centres, they often have inexpensive K prep classes that are sort of like preschool. At home we read, did workbooks, crafts, all sorts of educational games and toys that he enjoyed, went out for walks, to library, children's museum, farms, etc.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 10,635 times
Our daughter is at Sweet Pea cottage preschool. She's been there since she was 2.5 but once she turned 4 they put her in 'Sweet Pea College' which is like an integrated pre-k. She has learned do much and is more than ready for kindergarten next year. We're in Queen Anne but there is also a west Seattle campus. It's rolling enrollment so you can try to get in if there's space. It's 4 hours a day and you can do 2-5 days a week. We love it!

Old 05-06-2015, 11:28 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times
Check out the community school of west seattle.

Old 05-11-2015, 03:43 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,371,813 times
Contact the schools any way - just because you're past the deadline that doesn't mean that admissions are closed.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:00 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
And why not BWS (Bright Water Waldorf school) on Capitol Hill? My daughter goes there, a number of her classmates live in West Seattle. Here is the preK link: http://www.brightwaterschool.org/wal...lum/preschool/

Old 05-11-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Check out the community school of west seattle.
Thank you! Haven't seen this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Contact the schools any way - just because you're past the deadline that doesn't mean that admissions are closed.
Yep! Seattle Waldorf got back with us and they have some openings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
And why not BWS (Bright Water Waldorf school) on Capitol Hill? My daughter goes there, a number of her classmates live in West Seattle. Here is the preK link: Private Waldorf Preschool Seattle Washington | Bright Water School
Oooh! Haven't heard of this one either. Dang! How do you find schools? I've checked public websites, GreatSchools.org, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area