Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:22 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,806 times

Advertisements

How do you guys think white center will become in the next few years? Will there be more apartments, do you think it'll be more hip? Is crime there really bad or not really? Tell me what you guys think thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:50 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
How do you guys think white center will become in the next few years? Will there be more apartments, do you think it'll be more hip? Is crime there really bad or not really? Tell me what you guys think thanks!
White Center used to be really bad. Crime has improved, but hasn't completely disappeared. But the "downtown" White Center area is fun. Has some great places to eat and drink. Zippy's Burgers, Proletariat Pizza, and some great Mexican places. Big Al's Brewery. There's a lot to like about White Center, but it's a whole different world than the eastside, or north Seattle. It's not like it's totally cleaned up. Some of it's still run down. But it's a unique and kind of delightful neighborhood, and continuing to improve.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:08 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Delicious authentic Khmer Cambodian food in White Center. If you have never tried it, it is delicious. Queen. Here is a neat article about some surprisingly good other ethnic restaurant choices in that area: Where to Eat in White Center - The GastroGnome.

So, what do I think of White Center. It is a little rough around the edges and some places you might want to avoid at certain times of the day. That being said, it seems like so many places with character are getting whitewashed and corporatized. White Center is real, I think in a really neat way.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:53 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,401 times
I live in Arbor Heights which is very close to White Center. I personally think this area will explode in the next few years. Many young couples are now being priced out of West Seattle as real estate prices go thru the roof so White Center will grow because it's still an area with reasonably priced homes.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:08 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,226,296 times
^ I'm with Pete...would seem to me things are getting better, not Utopia...but getting better every day.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
White Center in the 90s was often the punch line for jokes, and made fun of even in the media. I would agree with Ira, Pete and IDA, it's improved and even become a destination for good eats. I would expect the gentrification to continue spreading south to White Center in the future, now might be a good time to get in.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:49 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,532 times
I personally have never visited White Center, but isn't it the epicenter of some major redevelopments? I've met the attorney who's primary project was to redesign White Center and from what I gleaned it seemed like the project was already underway if not completed. Anyone want to give me some insight on this?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:07 PM

731 posts, read 935,284 times
White center is at the line that divides the city of Seattle from the county. Unfortunately, the bad guys running from the law know that and head there to jump back and forth over the lines to allude the police. Just a little something that holds that area back, like the airport does to Burien.

Also, the schools aren't very good, so that stops many families from moving there. My best friend lives in Burien (where we grew up) and has sent her kids to private school. It turns out that it was cheaper for me to spend more on a house in Ballard and send my kids to the public schools.

White Center was actually a better area when I was a kid, than it is now, so it's not exactly making progress.

Maybe if the art crowd would move in and invest in the area...

Old 05-06-2015, 01:27 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
Seattle's most ironically named neighborhood.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:44 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Seattle's most ironically named neighborhood.
LOL yeah I never noticed this.

White Center has improved but lets be honest, it will always be one of the cheaper neighborhoods in Seattle. I do predict more dense development and overall updating of the neighborhood. It will never be "hip".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area