Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city has the worst crime problem?
Tukwila 2 11.76%
Tacoma 5 29.41%
SeaTac 0 0%
Lakewood 0 0%
Seattle 7 41.18%
Everett 2 11.76%
Puyallup 0 0%
Lynnwood 0 0%
Auburn 0 0%
Burien 0 0%
Another city 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times

Advertisements

So I'm looking to possibly move to the Seattle area. But I was wondering what cities are hotbeds for criminal activites such as gangs, drugs, etc? Places to avoid. I want to move to somewhere that is safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 11:57 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
If you are from any other large city in America, you will find that kind of activity here to be pretty minimal. That's not to say that you shouldn't be aware, bad things can happen anywhere. The "southend" of Seattle has been associated more with gangs. When I got here 25 years ago, the Central District in Seattle had that reputation, now it is going through a gentrification process.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 05-07-2015 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 12:23 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
If you are from any other large city in America, you will find that kind of activity here to be pretty minimal. That's not to say that you shouldn't be aware, bad things can happen anywhere. The "southend" of Seattle has been associated more with gangs. When I got here 25 years ago, the Central District in Seattle had that reputation, it is becoming pretty gentrified now.
I have a few friends who are homeowners in CD--they frequently complain about local crime including being stalked, having people attempt to break into their house, car break-ins, and occasional shootings nearby. Gentrifying... but not gentrified. Still pretty sketchy area in my opinion compared to the rest of Seattle.

But outside of Seattle, Everett and Tacoma, I'd say.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
The thing that's different about the Seattle area is that no area is all that bad. In a place like Camden, New Jersey, it's just block after block after block of blight, crime, gangs, so much so that there's very little middle class about it. Here, even in the worst of the worst, go three blocks and it's respectable, clean, safe, etc.
Outside of Tacoma, the neighborhoods with the worst reputations are, in no particular order: White Center, South Park, , North Burien,Rainier Beach, Skyway, East Hill of Kent, Lake City, Delridge. None of those areas are entirely bad.
And crime is everywhere. I heard on the news this morning that there is a rash of car break ins in Kirkland going on.
There's very little violent crime in the Seattle area. Maybe the gang members are bad shots. But as a general rule, use common sense. Don't leave valuables in plain sight in your car. Lock your doors.
But I can't think of a single neighborhood where your chances of getting mugged are high when walking in the neighborhood, even at night. when people tell you how dangerous White Center or Rainier Beach is, either they're just repeating what they heard, or are telling you how it was twenty years ago. There is no neighborhood in the Seattle area even remotely like Compton.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:26 PM

298 posts, read 565,312 times
North Tacoma is actually extremely nice. Very artsy, good schools, great restaurants, cool houses, etc. It changes south of 6th, but N. Tacoma is great. There are shabby parts to Tacoma but no true ghettos. I would avoid the Rainier Beach area of Seattle. Schools are bad and there is gang activity. But it's not like a true ghetto.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:30 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Even in the worse areas, there are nice pockets, even with decent schools. Both Burien and White Center have interesting downtown areas. Des Moines near the marina is very nice. Rainier Beach has run-down hovels and million-dollar mansions within a few blocks of each other. In Federal Way, look at the Dash Point area for affordable rents (3-bd apartments for $1,200 or so) and decent elementary and middle schools. Middle Beacon Hill has affordable housing prices and very good schools.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:53 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Why Ta Ta Ta Ta Ta-Compton, of course!

Old 05-07-2015, 05:57 PM

426 posts, read 526,833 times
Might need a poll option for "None of the above"

Old 05-07-2015, 06:50 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
How come Bellevue is not on the list? White Collar crime doesn't count??

Old 05-07-2015, 07:18 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
How come Bellevue is not on the list? White Collar crime doesn't count??
http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...-bellevue.html

These was some discussion of Bellevue's gang colors. I think it was the Khakis vs the Mauves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area