Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,021 times

Advertisements

Hey I'm 17 years old and I'm driving to Vegas from Seattle on May 23. I'm nervous because I'll be alone and I've never driven nearly that far and I want to know the safest and easiest route to get their can you put a link and what is the drive like what should I be preparedd for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:51 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

(Seattle to Las Vegas). I remember when I was 18 years old and drove across the country. You will be fine, there are lots of good services and good roads along the way. I think a good rule to remember is that most people are very nice and helpful but there are some bad people out there. Just be safe, travel during the day if you can. It is a pretty drive, enjoy it. Give yourself some breaks along the way, do something fun, see some nature, have a good meal.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 05-09-2015 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-09-2015, 12:19 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,215 times
Is there any particular reason you want to drive? I drove from Seattle to L.A. ONCE and swore never again. When you compare the cost of gas/lodging/food, it's actually cheaper to fly.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:13 PM

426 posts, read 526,833 times
It's definitely cheaper to fly since it's just you, otherwise you could be saving money if you brought friends/family along.

The route that homesinseattle gave you will take you through the Great Basin Highway in Nevada. Beautiful sight, especially if you've never seen it before, but it can be dangerous, mostly at night. The road has a high incidence rate of people crashing into cattle, deer, etc. also the people can be sketchier around there since you could go hours without passing through any major cities.

Another option is to go through Utah (longer) or take I-5 towards California, which might be more interesting. You can stop in Portland, San Fransisco, and LA (if you go down that far before veering towards Vegas, though likely you would take CA-58 over, another gorgeous route).

Pay extra close attention to gas reserves if you decide to go through Idaho then Nevada!

Old 05-09-2015, 01:58 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
The Great Basin of Nevada is something you'll never forget. Horses and cows appear as little ants way, way off in the distance. It's long, rolling mountainous hills and devoid of trees in a lot of it. But it's beautiful, too.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:35 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,525,573 times
You can play with Google Maps, too, for several route options. Make sure you build in lots of time for this drive; don't underestimate how long it will take you, and don't forget you need to make stops for gas, meals/drinks or just to stretch your legs.

I think the biggest challenge you may face is that you are under 18, and many hotels/motels won't rent a room to anyone under 18. Best to research your motel options on whatever route you do choose.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:26 PM

Boise is a neat place, you'll go right through it. Not sure I recommend it but when I drove across the country at the age of 18, I slept in my car. I like a bit more luxury now .

Old 05-10-2015, 05:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,021 times
You guys think I can just do a straight shot ?

Old 05-10-2015, 05:28 AM

When I was young and excited to get somewhere, I was capable of amazingly long drives. I once drove very fast from Los Angeles to Vermont with only 5 hours sleep in 56 hours total. Your driving time is about 17 hours. It is indeed possible. Sleep really well the night before. Get up and leave super early, like 4AM. Stop to stretch your legs, eat, have a coffee throughout the day. Eat food that nourishes you rather than junk, take snacks for the road.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:41 PM

426 posts, read 526,833 times
Not legal if you're bound by curfew.

Don't drive the Great Basin Highway at night, especially with insufficient sleep.

Imagine your tire blows, you hit something, or fall asleep at the wheel because you'd been driving straight with absolutely nothing to see for several hours. Your iPhone doesn't get a signal, and you wait for someone to come by and help you out only to find they have mental issues and can see they can take advantage of your situation because you were driving alone and not even (legally) an adult. The next city with 300+ people is 100 miles away.

OK, you might get lucky and make it there fine but where do you plan to stay in Vegas at your age, and what do plan on doing in a city tailored for 21 and up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: