Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_2_cents View Post
That was my point. You can't compare a Seattle fall to a New England fall. You can't compare a Seattle winter to a New England winter either. You can't compare a Seattle summer to a New England summer. To me, New England has 4 seasons and Seattle doesn't really. All places change a little bit - even Miami does but I wouldn't say it has 4 seasons.

I really think that Seattleites just don't like to admit that some places have more of something than Seattle, or maybe has something better than Seattle. Once I remarked that Seattle doesn't really have very good theatre or arts and got chewed out saying it was just as good as in NY! Please!
I was going to say something similar. Actually, you can compare the two, and Seattle comes in second, when talking about fall and "true" winter. If you want the crisp days of fall with gorgeous trees to look at, you're not going to go to Seattle for it. You'll go somewhere in the NE or midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:06 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_2_cents View Post
That was my point. You can't compare a Seattle fall to a New England fall. You can't compare a Seattle winter to a New England winter either. You can't compare a Seattle summer to a New England summer. To me, New England has 4 seasons and Seattle doesn't really. All places change a little bit - even Miami does but I wouldn't say it has 4 seasons.

I really think that Seattleites just don't like to admit that some places have more of something than Seattle, or maybe has something better than Seattle. Once I remarked that Seattle doesn't really have very good theatre or arts and got chewed out saying it was just as good as in NY! Please!
I guess my point would be that as beautiful and prounounced as the seasons are in New England it is not the "gold standard" to which all other areas of the country should be compared to. I still say that Seattle has four seasons...

I wouldn't say that the arts and theater in Seattle are as good as in NY, but to say it doesn't have very good theater and arts is a bit much. Of course it's not going to be as good as NY, but Seattle is generally accepted as being one of the top cities in the US for theater and ther arts.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I guess my point would be that as beautiful and prounounced as the seasons are in New England it is not the "gold standard" to which all other areas of the country should be compared to. I still say that Seattle has four seasons...
Well, in the sense that there is beauty to behold everywhere and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yes, but New England and the northeast pretty much is the gold standard for fall. Those hardwood forests are something to see!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:00 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, in the sense that there is beauty to behold everywhere and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yes, but New England and the northeast pretty much is the gold standard for fall. Those hardwood forests are something to see!
The point I'm trying to make is to say that Seattle doesn't have four seasons because the seasons here are not a carbon copy of the seasons in New England is not right...that's all.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
The point I'm trying to make is to say that Seattle doesn't have four seasons because the seasons here are not a carbon copy of the seasons in New England is not right...that's all.
Point taken. But you can compare the two, lots of people do.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:41 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Pittnurse, a message I created a couple of days ago was deleted, so I am not sure if saw it or not. The gist of it- I was wondering what makes you hang around the Seattle boards so much? If I recall correctly, the only ties you have to the area were from your daughter dating a not-so-nice guy from Seattle? I am not trying to discourage you from posting, I am just curious why you are so interested in an area that you don't really have a history with.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Well, the thread is Seattle v Denver; also on the Denver forum as Denver v Seattle. I live in the metro Denver area.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 PM

108 posts, read 386,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
Well, the thread is Seattle v Denver; also on the Denver forum as Denver v Seattle. I live in the metro Denver area.

I live in Washington and posted on the Denver thread, does this make me a bad person (just kidding)?

At least the Denver people were nice about me posting over there (I don't use smiley faces; I think they're childish).

Old 01-25-2008, 08:23 PM

309 posts, read 365,077 times
I've lived in BOTH cities and Seattle is definitely a nicer and prettier place by far!
The only thing that gets a bit hard to take is the sheer amount of grey skies/drip.....for half the year or so........but the summers in Seattle ARE worth it, IMO.
Seattle, hands down!

Denver is ok though and the plentiful sunshine IS nice, but overall, Seattle and its people are light years ahead of Denver......which is sooo FULL of ex-Californians and Illegal immigrants.......it's SAD what happened to it over the last 2 decades!

BTW.....Eastside King Co. you might find what you like for housing around Issaquah......which, more often than not.....has the smoothest commute into Seattle and is generally.......about a half hour drive.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytripper View Post
I've lived in BOTH cities and Seattle is definitely a nicer and prettier place by far!
The only thing that gets a bit hard to take is the sheer amount of grey skies/drip.....for half the year or so........but the summers in Seattle ARE worth it, IMO.
Seattle, hands down!

Denver is ok though and the plentiful sunshine IS nice, but overall, Seattle and its people are light years ahead of Denver......which is sooo FULL of ex-Californians and Illegal immigrants.......it's SAD what happened to it over the last 2 decades!

BTW.....Eastside King Co. you might find what you like for housing around Issaquah......which, more often than not.....has the smoothest commute into Seattle and is generally.......about a half hour drive.
I thought it was Seattle that was full of ex-Californians. We get them, the Texans, the Illinoisans and other midwesterners, the New Yorkers, etc. I don't think we have a bad illegal immigration problem. Anyway, who cares? They are just pursuing the American Dream, like my ancestors did back in the 1850s, when there were no quotas. (Not to hijack this thread into an immigration thread.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area