U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-20-2008, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,661 times
Default Moving From Toronto to Seattle, WA

We are seriously considering moving from Toronto to Seattle.

However there are many pieces of information that we need to gather before we actually end up moving.

We would appreciate hearing back from anyone who has either made the move already to seattle or those of you who currently live there for the latest info possible.

we would like to find out the following :

1. Cost of renting a One bedroom plus study in Downtown ..(very nice and safe area) close to all the restaurants shops etc....preferably in a very new / modern building..

2. Have the prices of condos started to come down dramatically yet ...given the current state of the market in the US?

3. What would be the purchase price (approx ) of a two bedroom beautiful modern condo in a top location in downtown ( high rise / doorman etc)

4. Monthly cost of having a nanny ? (We have a newborn )

5. Monthly cost of a cleaning lady ?

6. Are there areas where we could find Asian supermarkets etc..

7. General monthly living costs ( phone / cable / internet / )

8 Monthly maintenance fee for a condo if we are buying it or renting it.

Plus any other info would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone who has moved from Toronto to seattle and could send us the cost of moving household stuff, that would be great.

We look forward to hearing from you and any further advice & guidance would be really helpful.

Many thanks

M.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 09:44 PM

209 posts, read 533,274 times
Mohi,

We moved from a 2 BR Tridel condo in Toronto to Seattle in 1996.

Condo prices in Seattle were insane compared to Toronto in 1996.

I don't know the actual comparison today but from what I see $500k might get you a 2 BR 800 sq ft condo in downtown Seattle, so I am thinking prices are still much higher here.

Seattle has one of the best Asian supermarkets in the US in my opinion called Uwajimaya, located at the southern end of downtown. It is absolutely fantastic, practically the size of a Loblaws, and with the best fresh fish selection you will ever find anywhere, prices are reasonable.

Phone $30 bucks, Cable $50-70, High Speed Internet $36-45

We are being relocated by my employer to South Carolina and have a recently built 1800 Sq Ft Tri Level home for sale in West Seattle. 10-12 minutes to downtown, 18 minutes to the airport, a fabulous location with views, amongst million dollar homes. Our home is considered a Condo alternative (San Fransisco style Tall and Skinny) as there is very little exterior maintenance, natural landscape (no grass cutting etc.) and no condo fees. Home is fully wired for home office with 4 lines, cable internet etc. Contact me on this website by clicking on my name and sending me a personal message if you would like more info, we are listed and do have an real estate agent.

Actual moving cost in 1996 was about 12k US dollars for a 2 BR, including packing but we unpacked, no appliances. Transit time took about 2.5-3 weeks.

Good Luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:19 PM

3,874 posts, read 10,927,382 times
Hi, MOHI. Welcome to the wonderful adventure of moving to the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

For nannies and housekeeping:
Some of the basic information you want (like nannies, housekeeping services, etc.) can be found in the Classifieds sections of the two major local newspapers, combined into one online site. The site is called NWSource.com. It would include adverts for agencies specializing in such: http://www.nwsource.com/classifieds/

For more information on the agencies: if I were in your shoes, I would employ only an agency that I personally verify as bonded, insured, registered with the State of Washington, and having a decent track record with the Better Business Bureau. All that, of course, is for the safety of your family and possessions, and for your legal recourse. Agencies can be found by Googling. Just Google something like: nanny agency Seattle.

There are several housekeeping companies here, most of which are nationwide, such as Merry Maids, Mollymaid, maids.com, etc. Again, Googling will give you choices.

For apartment rentals:
The best apartment resource is the same NWSource. I selected for you to downtown and central Seattle, which has many neighborhoods, labeled on the map on that page. http://rentals.nwsource.com/rentals/...t=1&search2=No (broken link)

In addition, you might want to try craigslist.

For condos:
For-sale info seems to be almost completely covered in this area by MLSonline -- the link is: http://sea.themlsonline.com/home

In addition, you might want to try craigslist.

There are also: realtor.com, condocompare.com, and homes.com (for King County where Seattle is). But none of those provides complete listings, which MLSonline seems to do.

2. Have the prices of condos started to come down dramatically yet ...given the current state of the market in the US?
No. Our local economy is very strong. There appears to have been a stabilizing, and also perhaps a slight decline, in home prices in the past couple of months, but not much decline.

For Asian supermarkets:
80-year-old Uwajimaya, as Condor wrote, is the mecca for everyone loving Asian food: Uwajimaya.com
Every supermarket here has a not-too-small and excellent Asian staples section, plus Asian produce, meat and seafood products.
There are so many Asian restaurants in Seattle and the surrounding areas that I doubt anyone keeps count.

I’ve done long-distance moving several times, and my best recommendation is always to use an established, famous, North-America-wide company that is licensed to the teeth in all the necessary provinces and states. That will cost you anywhere from 5% to maybe 15% more than “cheaper” companies -- but with established companies you will actually see your possessions again, almost always in one piece. Cheaper companies cannot prove to you that you will ever see again anything you own. Safety first, eh?

Hope all this helps! Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Last edited by allforcats; 01-21-2008 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 PM

50 posts, read 179,378 times
Okokok, seeing as I've been to Toronto a few times, almost moved there after Uni, and absolutely LOVE the city, I feel I need to give my opinion:

- I found the cost of living comparable when looking for apartments in Toronto, at least for areas in or near the downtown area. Seattle is more expensive, but not by much. Was looking mostly south of downtown, near King West / waterfrontish, and around the Univ. of Toronto (The Annex).

- As was mentioned before, Uwajimaya is a great asian grocery store here. There are two that I know of in the Seattle area (International Dist. in Seattle and Crossroads in Bellevue)

- Cost of renting a nice one bedroom apt in downtown (or near....IE: Capitol Hill, Belltown, First Hill) will likely run you $1,000 to $1,500. As was mentioned before, Craigslist and NWClassifieds are excellent resources.

The rest, I'm not too sure about. Condorll's quotes on phone / net, etc. seem about accurate. Welcome! Definitely a different pace/way of life here. Love both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area