Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times

Advertisements

One other factor about Seattle area heat that I don't think has been addressed is the "heat island" effect. As Seattle and Bellevue continue to grow, as well as other suburbs, the heat increases due to development. Before some of you get up in arms about this statement, consider this...I am pro-development through and through. So this is not an anti-development rant. Instead, there is science backing up the theory that the more development, the higher the temperatures. We have seen this in downtown Seattle for decades, but now perhaps it is casting an even wider shadow. The temp change is probably not major, but could play a part in warmer temps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 06:50 PM

510 posts, read 609,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
One other factor about Seattle area heat that I don't think has been addressed is the "heat island" effect. As Seattle and Bellevue continue to grow, as well as other suburbs, the heat increases due to development. Before some of you get up in arms about this statement, consider this...I am pro-development through and through. So this is not an anti-development rant. Instead, there is science backing up the theory that the more development, the higher the temperatures. We have seen this in downtown Seattle for decades, but now perhaps it is casting an even wider shadow. The temp change is probably not major, but could play a part in warmer temps.
The heat island effect is not a strict side effect of city development, it is a side effect of changing the natural landscape in a way that causes that area to store more heat. chopping down a bunch of trees to create a big grass meadow can also produce a heat island effect as you have reduced the natural ability of that area to shed heat. In cities, concrete is the main contributor to the heat island effect as concrete is really good at storing solar energy and slowly radiating it back into the environment (which is why the heat island effect is usually more pronounced at night). Many building techniques can reduce or eliminate this effect--green roofs, shade trees around boulevards, light-colored surfaces that reflect more light, etc.

Most new development in Seattle is LEED certified which usually includes provisions for reducing the heat island effect.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:29 PM

Yeah, what he/she said!

Old 06-10-2015, 09:45 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
But I never did wet t-shirts, so it actually didn't happen for me. You're the one that did.
But you see, that's the great thing about this. You can do the wet T-shirt thing and look at yourself in the mirror all you want.

When I tell people I'm too hot, I am on topic here and I'm NOT talking about my looks. I'm almost 60 years old. It's almost to the point where I have to buy the girls their own slippers and shoes. Seriously, you can't unsee something like that. Now, do you really want me to post a pic? Because I'd just as soon not get banned from the forum for making everyone go "ewwwwwwwww...". This is City Data, not Wal-mart......

Old 06-10-2015, 09:56 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,523,595 times
^^^OMG!!! You need to go into standup comedy!!! Can I be your BFF??

Old 06-10-2015, 10:21 PM

102,181 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Well, according to the forecast, it's supposed to cool off pretty soon, and that trend will last about a week and a half, then the last week of the month will head into the 80's again.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:29 PM

Where did this thread derail?

Old 06-11-2015, 08:21 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,017,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Today was hot in my townhome. I am coming from Texas where it is routinely 100+ degrees, but we have ac. I do not have AC in my rental townhome. My poor 8 month old is sweating bullets and having trouble sleeping. When the sun goes down and the temp drops outside, we have fans in the windows or open windows in the house which make it nice. But my daughter was sick today and we were home all day and it was pretty miserable. I am trying to decide if I should buy a portable ac so that family can sleep during these comparatively few "hot" days. How many days a year should we expect temps like this?
Temps "like this"? Four months.

And before I get attacked, temps "like this" = 70-90 degrees. So no, I'm not wrong.

OP, since you're renting, get a portable AC unit.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:09 PM

7,020 posts, read 4,885,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
^^^OMG!!! You need to go into standup comedy!!! Can I be your BFF??
Of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Where did this thread derail?
My fault. I'm sorry.

But....getting back on topic, get an air conditioner. You might not use it more than a few days a year, but if you need it for those few days, you're really gonna need it!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:59 PM

It's all cool, so to speak. (BTW, as I write this my AC in the Tri-Cities is running, and is set at 80!). Perhaps a trip to the cool westside is in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area